Target Darts.

How Long Do Your Darts Last?
Hello,

I'm speaking to a retailer who I trust very much and we're talking about brand quality, he says some of the brands I'm considering only last 3-4 months before they start dying off.

How long do you consider your darts to be in their prime?

Thanks,

Ron
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
It depends on how aggressive the grip is on your darts really. Less grip tends to mean more longevity.. your darts will not only last 4 month though the grip may wear but I don't know of any set you can buy that wouldn't last years..
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
3-4 months? are they made out of plastic? Wood?

I think he's full of it!

I've got a set Eric Bristow darts I bought in the late 80's that are still very useable. Like already mentioned, the more aggressive the grip, like darts with knurling on the barrels or those with the razor cuts for more grip, will wear away or get dinged up over time, but the barrels are still there, just less grip.

Sounds like the manufacturer is trying to drum up increased sales with that line he handing out.
Don't know what your retailer does with his darts but if they only last 3-4 months I dunno what the hell he is doing with them.
Ask Michael Van Gerwen ......

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Tungsten darts, in itself, can last almost forever, unless they snap. I think one member here still uses his cracked dart. It's the 'grip life' that is more affected.

A lot depends ... on the cuts, angles, depth, placement of cuts (all design related), and frequency of play, as well as if you're smashing your darts together on almost every throw or not. Also, for soft tip darts, you have to consider the factor that if you have barrels smashing each other, they VIBRATE as the segments and tips settle, so there could be more damage if the cut is particularly thin or protruding. Again, this is conjecture as I don't have hi-res high-speed footage.

I've re-conditioned some Japanese darts that went through only 1 league season, were bashed up with chips and lots of grouping marks, but still had a lot of life in them, as well as one that costed over USD200, that 'lasted' only 1 month as the aggressive grip was starting to get a little bit slippery due to wear and tear. The latter still had tons of life, but the grip was already getting slightly affected.

A WHOLE LOT depends on the actual design of the barrels. I can't stress that enough. These were fairly high performance darters that practice at least 3-5 days a week, 2-3 hours, and smash their darts on almost every throw.

I think I read that some members here with darts like the more aggressive gripped RVBs or Carerras last many months to a year before the grip started changing, or to use a phrase some used here, 'it was no longer the same dart', but i could be wrong. I have no idea of the maintenance given to those darts. I assume no re-conditioning touch-ups were given to those barrels.

I guess many medium level grip designs last darters at least a year to several years, and I guess slicks (smooth darts with no cuts) could last forever, grip wise.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for the responses guys.

He's probably a higher level player than I and is more particular with the grip on the dart. My groupings are far from tight so I won't get the same wear.

I'm going to have a variety of brands so I guess I'll find out for myself Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
(10-27-2016, 08:35 PM)kungfuron Wrote: Thanks for the responses guys.

He's probably a higher level player than I and is more particular with the grip on the dart.  My groupings are far from tight so I won't get the same wear.  

I'm going to have a variety of brands so I guess I'll find out for myself Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I honestly feel like he is feeding you a serving of BS.

Sure, some guys (Phil, Wright, etc.) use new darts all the time, there are a bunch of guys (MvG, Bunting minus his short stretch with his gold ones, etc.) that have been using the same set of darts for a very long time.

To say a dart is toast after 3-4 months seems like a very personal preference, and to say any particular brand wears faster.... that sounds like a stretch since most dart companies would likely buy their tungsten from the same places.

1 of my mates has been using his darts for over 20 years. He bought a new set of Whitlocks to try and used them only once. He then went straight back to his old darts. He says he'll be playing with them forever!!
What could happens to Jenkins darts?I want to know
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(10-27-2016, 08:48 PM)Jugger Wrote: I honestly feel like he is feeding you a serving of BS.

Sure, some guys (Phil, Wright, etc.) use new darts all the time, there are a bunch of guys (MvG, Bunting minus his short stretch with his gold ones, etc.) that have been using the same set of darts for a very long time.

To say a dart is toast after 3-4 months seems like a very personal preference, and to say any particular brand wears faster.... that sounds like a stretch since most dart companies would likely buy their tungsten from the same places.

I would tend to think this normally, if he was swaying me toward the more exotic and expensive Asian brands but he gave Harrows and Target very good marks.  As for Asian brands, he said Trinidads were very good.  I asked about Joker Drivers and he said his were 5 months into use and would keep me updated.

Maybe it's just a T.O. (Terrell Owens) thing; I once heard him say, look good, feel good........feel good, play good.
Steel Tip: 
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
Soft Tip: 
Hi Darts
I would say if I were still using phase 3 andersons or phase 1 barneys I would be swapping them every few months as the grip on both of those wears a lot quite quickly. Many will prefer the grip after it has worn in though. I would be changing them out of preference however not out of necessity.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Archers Vice Grip Medium
Flights: RD Standard 

I have a set of knurled 12 gram (may be brass, not tungsten, but have a silvery cast to them) from the late 70s - was a gift.
(10-27-2016, 08:50 PM)Yuillsy Wrote: 1 of my mates has been using his darts for over 20 years. He bought a new set of Whitlocks to try and used them only once. He then went straight back to his old darts. He says he'll be playing with them forever!!

I've seen posts from several people concerning the Whitlock darts, if you're referring to the heavily scalloped ones he now uses on stage.   Seems they have a strange position to make a good grip and from the post I've read, not many people can get use to them before putting them aside and going to a different set.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick New Darts - New Grip? How Long? Brandon26 4 183 11-05-2020, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Brandon26
  Long darts with long points Kaigen Moore 11 1,357 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Tommy9er