Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Target Phil Taylor Power 8Zero 22g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeqp2dqtdq8

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: click here

I first saw these when I was at last years Target launch.  I reviewed the other model in the range which I got at the launch and as DannyD180 got these at the launch I did a swap with him, forgot what it was I swapped now though.  At the launch I thought these looked good and the scalloped felt comfy to hold but I never got a chance to throw them then.  They are 80% tungsten and have a black titanium coating.  These ones reviewed are 22g and they are also available in 24g and presently they retail for £ 38.95.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a standard slim style box and are supplied with a tri-fold hard plastic case, some short pro grip stems and standard Power vision flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS:

CLOSE UP PICS:

The barrels have a unique shape and grip with a prominent scalloped section which has a nice nano style grip in it, there is some grippiness to the barrel but overall its probably a medium level.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

WEIGHT:

There is a difference of nine hundredths of a gram between lightest and heaviest barrels:

Weight of full setup as supplied:

BALANCE:

Its a bit awkward trying to find the balance due to the scallop but with nothing attached the barrel was front weighted:

With supplied setup  it moved just about centre:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

The scallop felt the most comfy part to grip:

Darts landed in my usual angle:

CONCLUSION:

Like I said above I liked the look of these when I first saw them and I still think they look good.  Although the scallop was comfortable to grip I felt it was just a little further up the barrel than I would naturally grip.

I first tried throwing the darts from close to the nose but they were kind of erratic, sometimes they seemed to zip out my fingers and fly high and other times it was like they were tumbling sideways.

So I thought I may have better luck throwing from the scallop.  While they did fly a little better there on the whole there was something that just felt not right for me, whether its the balance or the grip I cant say but I never felt like they were flying right.  I thought may be it was due to the short stems but after doing the video review I changed to mediums and it was only slightly better.

I actually thought they flew better with a rear grip than my normal front grip so who knows may be rear grippers will like them?

I think some people out there will obviously like these though it could be fine if you naturally grip where the position of the scallop is but for me the balance just seemed off when I threw them.  So I am disappointed as they dont suit me at all.

I dont remember what the price of these were last year but for an 80% tungsten dart the current price is a little steep but I think its a little eased as it does have a fair bit of machining to the barrels and also has the Black Ti coating which will add to price but still something around the £30 arear would be better.

But I have tried with them a few times now and I just dont get on with them.  

So a nicely made dart that looks good but may be one you really need to try to be sure of.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 8.5 (looks good)
Grip: 7.5 (1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (2 very close)
Quality: 8 (overall good)
Value: 6 (should be cheaper)
Suitability for me: 4 (not so good for me sadly)

Best Feature: Looks Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

They do look pretty good. 80% is what I've been playing with using AL-80's. I think the price is a bit steep for me now, just before the holidays, but still have not written these off the list.
I wonder how the coating will wear on these?
(10-20-2016, 07:26 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: They do look pretty good. 80% is what I've been playing with using AL-80's. I think the price is a bit steep for me now, just before the holidays, but still have not written these off the list.
I wonder how the coating will wear on these?

You can have my set

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

These are a dart I want to try but don't really wan't to buy. As said above price is a bit too high for an 80% dart.
Grand review as always Darren. :thumbup:  

Interesting dart, not for me though and I agree with the gents above that the price point is a bit high.
Not my type of dart and a bit pricey to take a punt on.
But they look terrific and might look better with storms fitted.
Another top review.
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

PM sent
Ones again, a great Review !

I already used a set like this and the fly great, not a fan of the coating btw.
may all the doubles be with you

The previous 8-Zero darts look much better - these don't look good at all to me. In fact, I'll say they're a bit cheap looking. Not good when the customer pays 40 quid or so.
However, whatever is said about these darts, the review was fair (as they all are) and...well, you can't win them all, can you?

How long will it be before you review the third Power 8-Zero black darts, as those look so much better (again, to me they do).
(10-20-2016, 07:49 PM)joeriw96 Wrote: These are a dart I want to try but don't really wan't to buy. As said above price is a bit too high for an 80% dart.

Yeah I think price is the problem especially now prices have risen.

(10-20-2016, 09:01 PM)Great White North Wrote: Grand review as always Darren. :thumbup:  

Interesting dart, not for me though and I agree with the gents above that the price point is a bit high.

Thanks Brad Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(10-20-2016, 09:11 PM)jc14 Wrote: Not my type of dart and a bit pricey to take a punt on.
But they look terrific and might look better with storms fitted.
Another top review.

Yeah should be good with storms, cheers! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(10-20-2016, 10:08 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: PM sent

replied

(10-20-2016, 10:12 PM)Fred-180 Wrote: Ones again, a great Review !

I already used a set like this and the fly great, not a fan of the coating btw.

Thanks Fred! I'm sure plenty will like these but just did not fly well for me sadly Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(10-21-2016, 01:57 AM)sjmattitude1982 Wrote: The previous 8-Zero darts look much better - these don't look good at all to me. In fact, I'll say they're a bit cheap looking. Not good when the customer pays 40 quid or so.
However, whatever is said about these darts, the review was fair (as they all are) and...well, you can't win them all, can you?

How long will it be before you review the third Power 8-Zero black darts, as those look so much better (again, to me they do).

I think I bought the first 8zero and 9 zero when they first came out, never tried them yet lol stuck in a drawer somewhere. Not sure about the third model Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review as always and great clear pics! I 'm puzzled that Target has these darts in the Phil Taylor range. I can't recall Taylor playing with anything similar.

I mean 9Zero darts sure ok, he played with a straight barrel with purist grip for years. But these seem strange to me to be in the Taylor range.

Anyway, carry on with the great reviews! You help a lot of people when they want to buy a set!
Ignore the "how you are doing it" in favor of "where you are sending it."
Thanks!

Yeah I was going to mention about the darts having Taylors name on but I think its obvious they just put a players name to anything now to sell a product does not seem to matter if said player has even touched it, as a business they are going to milk the name as much as possible. Look at MVG he does not even throw XQMax darts.

Personally I think its wrong but I can understand why its done.

Thanks I will! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another great and honest review. I like the look and profile on these darts, but am shocked that they didn't suit you better with the scallop being where it is. If they were a bit thinner I might have bought a set, but kinda glad I didn't now lol and definitely would pay their current price for them anyway, way too high for that kind of dart imo
Anyway, as said, top notch reiew and pics Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Thanks mate!

Yeah I was hoping they would work well for me but the scallop is just not quite right for me and I don't know if the scallop has had an affect on the balance but it just did not feel it was right at all.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(10-21-2016, 05:13 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Thanks mate!

Yeah I was hoping they would work well for me but the scallop is just not quite right for me and I don't know if the scallop has had an affect on the balance but it just did not feel it was right at all.

I just received a set of these darts in the mail yesterday but mine are the 20 gram soft tip version, they are fantastic darts and the scallop is in exactly the correct place for me.  I think that Phil Taylors name is on them as he had input into the design of these darts and the others in this range and he remains a part of Target darts design team until at least 2021.

Either way the name on the darts is unimportant I find that they are a great looking and well balanced dart and for me when I switched the flights that came with the darts to the Smaller Taylor Power 9 five flights they worked great for me. 
I got a useful small faux leather wallet with the darts too which was a bonus. There has been a lot of work gone into the finish on this particular model of power 8 zeros and the tungsten is High Density 80% Tungsten. The fact that they are not 90% or 95% or 97% is good as the barrel can be that few MM longer which was exacly what I required. I am very happy with my purchase. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Target Nathan Aspinall 80 Darts Review Getagrip 5 310 04-18-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Chris B
  Target Glen Durrant 80 Darts Review Getagrip 5 383 04-10-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Target Stephen Bunting Gen 4 Darts Review Getagrip 32 1,398 02-25-2021, 02:40 AM
Last Post: asquick
  Archers Power Play 24g darts review Getagrip 9 5,380 02-09-2021, 01:22 PM
Last Post: samsimilian
  Target Danny Baggish Gen 1 Darts Review Getagrip 20 916 02-08-2021, 03:06 PM
  Target Rob Cross Gen 2 Darts Review Getagrip 13 1,020 02-02-2021, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  Target Orb 01 Darts Review Getagrip 8 1,114 01-25-2021, 05:04 PM
  Target Echo Darts Review Getagrip 16 1,017 01-18-2021, 03:36 PM
  Target Keane Barry Darts Review Getagrip 4 461 12-08-2020, 05:20 PM