Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

RE: Changing thrown style as you progressed
Hi all,

I've been playing soft tip darts for close to 6 months now..and I noticed I've changed my throwing style.

I used to pull back my forearm slightly but not fully back like the flights almost touching my chin. But I find this throwing style require more effort and thrown strength. And my darts travel more in a straight-line but its hard for me to control my release to hit different parts of the dartboard. 

But past few days I decide to pullback more and now my throw makes less effort and my darts travel more like a lob curve because of the pullback. 

But I sort of like this style as it takes lesser effort and i find it easier to control my release to hit top, center and bottom (I mainly play cricket) numbers.

Do you guys face the same phenomenon? Also I am using a rear grip center balance Kami No.34 darts. If i am using this new style which my darts travel more like a lob, will front-loaded be more suitable?

Thanks!

Danny
Normally a loopy/lob type flight works better with a front loaded barrel that I've noticed.

That said, if the darts you're using now with your new found throwing action work then I wouldn't worry about it.  Best thing to do is when out playing see if anyone has some that are front loaded and ask if you can have a go with them and see.

All the best with your new found throwing action. :thumbup:
You can easily make your darts slightly front loaded by adding some weight in front. :-) No 34 is a longer dart, but with quite a narrow and long scallop. Is there enough space drilled in front? Personally I use different increments of lead weights to fine tune the balance of my darts.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I found my throw became quite a bit firmer (i.e. when the other way to yours) once I started to consciously lengthen my follow through. This was an unintended but most welcome change as my throw was very soft and floaty prior to that.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with your throw changing but you should be wary of unconscious changes as they may not always be for the best.

By that I mean I believe that your throw should be your throw: you should know how it feels and, using video, know what it looks like. This is the throw you should be practicing with and it should be the same when you play competitively. The aim with practice is to make your throw more consistent and reliable, I don't reckon it should be changing...

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
I think there is always a temptation to change things whether its the mechanics of the throw or your equipment, it can be a dodgy process as it is not always for the best and can mess you up totally. But its catch 22 as there could be things you learn that may improve your accuracy and consistency so I think as long as you make small gradual changes and give it enough time to see if it works or not then you should be fine.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
You are very lucky indeed if you have a throw that never changes. When I first started throwing darts I used to grip them at the rear and they would naturally stack. Now I hold them at the front and they naturally understack (usually)

You see a few folks who never vary their throw over the years but its rare I reckon.
Hmmm... so if it's for the better as i feel less strain and strength exerted when i pull further back my arm (hence change in my throw), I shouldn't change it at all?

But i do find my aim becomes slightly better. Maybe we should all experiment with different throw to find the right fit?

Thanks for all the advice though!
Ayup Comrade

Over the fifty odd yrs I've been throwing, my throw has changed.
And I would say that is natural evolution.

Shed
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

https://www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/njoyone1
ive actually posited this for a while now.

if you are throwing fairly decent but you still have that feeling like you arent really in control. when you throw and you really dont know where the dart will end up then its probably time to change some things up. if you feel like you are in control and you pretty much can tell where the dart is going to land just by the way it comes out of your hand then you know at the very least that you can identify what you did wrong, which makes it a whole lot easier to correct mechanical issues. i know people that have been playing darts for 20+ years and i can tell just by how they throw that they still really dont know where that dart is going when it leaves their hand. and if you dont have at least a measure of control then you are going to be severely limited as far as improvement goes.

my wife tells me all the time that i need to stop changing up my throw. but im changing things only because i have identified things in my mechanics that make it hard or impossible to replicate every throw. this is basically what you are working toward as a dart player. if it cant be replicated then you arent going to improve. if you cant even identify the difference between this throw and the last throw and correlate that to where the dart ended up, then its just about impossible to get better.

same thing with grips, darts, flights, etc. people focus too much on trying to find the perfect darts/stems/flights/points/etc to fit their throw and honestly i think it should be the other way around. once you focus on getting your mechanics straight then you should be able to throw just about any dart/stem/flight combination with a little practice. most people will tell you to stick to one set of darts/stems/flight and use those exclusively and while i agree with that for the most part (especially in matches or games that matter) i also think that switching things up forces you to use different grips and change your throw up a little bit, which will probably aid you greatly in identifying some flaws in your throw that you didnt know you had. and you have the added benefit of possibly finding something that fits your current throw a lot better than what you're using now.

thats just my opinion and it came from my own life experience. its very therapeutic for me to be able to grab a different set of darts when i dont feel comfortable throwing my "main" set. and most of them just by using that different set for an hour or two ill come back to the original ones and notice that whatever flaw i had just magically corrected itself.

hope this helps!

MC
Adjusting my throw and changing things almost always requires an adjustment period for me.
Any changes I make usually come from noticing something during practice. Like holding the dart slightly left or right or higher or lower yields a stretch of highly accurate darts. A light bulb goes off. You're "on to something". It can be really exciting, but it can also be the beginning of a frustrating period of mucking about just trying to get back to where you were before the whole experiment started.
For one, you have to give it the old college try before you really know if it works or not. It's new so you'll likely not be an expert at it. Which may cause frustration and cause you to abandon the change. Also, when you first noticed this change working you were probably fully warm and in the zone anyway. Sometimes I feel like I can throw with my eyes closed and hit my target when I'm 'feeling it'. Maybe the change you thought helped was really just you in the zone.
I also find that adjustments that seem to work in practice are sometimes harder to replicate during league or tournament play. This can cause panic when the darts are not cooperating and you're losing legs. Then the adjustment must be abandoned in order to 'save the match'.
I've started long slumps because of a drop in confidence due to trying to change things.
I find the best way to do it is to make slight changes slowly and with lots of practice. My throw has evolved many times over from what it started out as and I'm still working on it daily. But I try not to do anything drastic.
Another thing I suggest before you make a big change is to take thorough stock in what you are doing now. Really analyze why what you do works and what you plan to change. That way you can go back if it doesn't work out.
For me, my biggest fundamental stroke is a level release with little back stroke. I can usually count on that if I have a bad night and my confidence drops. So I start there and get the feel back. You need something basic you can go back to that you know works in case things get wonky on you.
expos you made an excellent point i think. once you figure out something that you are doing wrong there can definitely be an adjustment period while you work it out. this can definitely lead to some minor regression during that time. this is a lot of what separates really good players from average players. most people that i know (especially ones who have been playing for a long time) dont want to change. once they change something and they get worse they will immediately abandon the change, which is the wrong attitude to have if you want improvement. if darts were easy then everyone would be a pro. you have to be willing to go through the tough times in order to reap your reward. most of the time when you figure something out, like my dart is pointing to the left thats why its going left. so you start aiming more toward the target but you keep missing. the reason is that your body and mind have tried to compensate for your crappy aim and now that youve corrected it, your body doesnt know that. so it keeps trying to do the same thing. so basically what ends up happening is once you find one thing wrong, it leads to another, and another and another.

one thing i try to do during practice is focus on one thing that i keep messing up. like maybe keeping my elbow in the same place. so ill do a couple rounds of A1 and i wont really pay attention to where the dart goes, its all about focusing on keeping that elbow tight. same thing with my release. i will throw A1 or doubles or whatever and i wont give two squats where the dart goes, i only want to focus on my release.

with darts its way too easy to fall into the habit of relying on something just because you had good luck with it once. you know what i mean? you have that perfect throw or that perfect game where you did x,y, and z. but its human nature to celebrate our victories and ignore the tragedies sometimes. so you hit a 180 with these darts/stems/flights so those must be the darts for you! and we dont think about the fact that it probably took 1000000 throws to get that 180 and that it wasnt just the darts it was a combination of all of the conditions. but in our mind we are always trying to replicate THAT one throw or that one game.

along that same topic when talking about our darts i have had several people tell me that they threw them for the first time and hit a 180 or a 140 or threw a 501 game in 12 darts so they knew those were the darts for them. and i always find it hilarious that people would think that after 3 throws or even 12 throws they know whether a set of darts is going to work out for them. mostly because if you pick up a set of darts and you just casually toss them its not uncommon to have really good things happen simply because you arent thinking about the things that go on in your head during a match or during practice. you arent thinking about keeping your arm straight or is your grip right, or is your head in the right spot, etc, etc, etc. all that proves is that you can achieve a good score sometimes under truly optimal conditions, which you could do with ANY set of darts.

anyway, rant over. thanks for reading guys.

MC
(10-20-2016, 02:39 PM)Dumbeedum Wrote: Hi all,

I've been playing soft tip darts for close to 6 months now..and I noticed I've changed my throwing style.

I used to pull back my forearm slightly but not fully back like the flights almost touching my chin. But I find this throwing style require more effort and thrown strength. And my darts travel more in a straight-line but its hard for me to control my release to hit different parts of the dartboard. 

But past few days I decide to pullback more and now my throw makes less effort and my darts travel more like a lob curve because of the pullback. 

But I sort of like this style as it takes lesser effort and i find it easier to control my release to hit top, center and bottom (I mainly play cricket) numbers.

Do you guys face the same phenomenon? Also I am using a rear grip center balance Kami No.34 darts. If i am using this new style which my darts travel more like a lob, will front-loaded be more suitable?

Thanks!

Danny
 Hi Danny,

Your style will evolve 'ever so slightly' as you aim for more consistency that's a good thing, in fact during the past month or so I have altered my stance to lean in slightly more towards the board and its helping reduce any inaccuracy. What's happening is that subconsciously your mind and body are trying different ways to assist your eye-hand co-ordination.

Its better that you are aware of the changes but don't think about them too much in fact darts is one of those games where a natural relaxed style gives the most success IMHO.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(11-02-2016, 12:54 AM)Dorian Wrote:
(10-20-2016, 02:39 PM)Dumbeedum Wrote: Hi all,

Thanks!

Danny

Its better that you are aware of the changes but don't think about them too much in fact darts is one of those games where a natural relaxed style gives the most success IMHO.

this couldnt be more true, but its also one of the hardest things for people to learn. most beginners think that you have to throw it really hard, or you have to throw it very fast in order to be accurate but its actually quite the opposite. good wrist action plus a SMOOTH AND FLUID stroke means you shouldnt really have to throw it very hard at all.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing throwing style Darts1234 59 4,540 02-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Dartsenzo