Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Unicorn Gripper 4 stems review and durability test

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFebGrIzrEY

Subscribe to my YT Channel: Click to Subscribe

Well we have been waiting a while for these stems and now they are finally here!

There is four colours in the range, blue, red, black and white and there is also four lengths which are called long, medium, short and mini.

They are meant to be the best grip yet and I am sure most have seen the Unicorn video on them by now, if not here it is again:

The stems retail for around £1.30 which is a little more expensive than some of the others.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

DIMENSIONS:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

COMPARISON:

The long is like a normal medium stem so the medium is probably the same as an inbetween (tweenie), the short is the same as a normal short and the mini is the same as an extra short:

PICS IN DETAIL OF THE STEMS:

The stems have the same profile as the gripper 3 which I like but I think the tops of these should be less prone to robin hooding.  There is a small indentation at the top to help with flight location and I found the stems easy to load overall.  The ring that is supplied with these seems to be a good thickness and nicely bevelled but I don't think any stems in this style of design will eliminate robin hooding completely but it remains to be seen how tough they are when it happens.

As you push the ring down you can see how much tighter the tangs get:

The strength of the grip on the flights is very much dependent on how you set the rings, first you leave the ring loose at the top then insert the flight a little way.  Then push the ring down and then push the flight down, the further the ring goes down the tighter the hold on the flight but you can only get so far before its too difficult to push any further:

The stems are quite wide at the base so if you have very thin barrels you may see a slight lip where barrel meets stem, it was not so bad on the Barney Phase 5 as shown here but a little more pronounced on a thinner barrel in the video:

CONCLUSION:

So far I have only had a couple of hours use with them and they are performing well.  Flights have not budge at all and because I like the gripper 3 profile these work fine for my throw too.  I weigh the stems in the video and they are not much more in weight than the nylon deflectagrips I compare them too and the deflectagrips don't have rings.  I did find on some barrels the stems were a little hard to screw in but that could be a good thing as it stops them working loose.  

I tried breaking the tangs in the  video and it was a tough job so they seem to be very robust but I don't know if an impact from a dart may have a different affect.

The stems will grip flights of all thicknesses but I think the 100 micron flights I tried were a little tighter grip than the 75 micron, but overall it was a strong hold no matter what flight used.

I have also tried using a hole punch to use it with a slot flight but that did not work as I could not get the ring down so the flight was loose.

Soo all I can now is keep using them and report back how they go but for now I am quite impressed with them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Looking forward to watching this later (when Mrs Greenback isn't watching X Factor).

Would these work with punched flights too?
Thanks for this review, will try these for sure (since i wrecked quite a few gripper 3 stems)
They do look very nice indeed.

A couple of questions though - first, what were the second darts you showed after the Barney darts. And secondly do you consider the Gripper 4 stems the most reliable yet, considering previous Gripper shafts can be as trustworthy as bubble stems (brittle at times), as these look like they can take a good hit.
Cheers on the vid. review Darren, answered my questions on them. :thumbup:
Good review Darren. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(10-16-2016, 11:48 PM)sjmattitude1982 Wrote: They do look very nice indeed.

A couple of questions though - first, what were the second darts you showed after the Barney darts. And secondly do you consider the Gripper 4 stems the most reliable yet, considering previous Gripper shafts can be as trustworthy as bubble stems (brittle at times), as these look like they can take a good hit.

Thanks all!

The darts in the clip were these: https://www.reddragondarts.com/det/8094/...i-22-gram/

A bit too early to say how reliable they are as yet, only had a hour or so of throwing with them but my flights never moved at all.

I was a fan of the gripper 3 profile and the only issue with them was the slightly flat top but these seem to be the same profile but an overall better stem so I am pleased with them so far.

I think I need to get a few impacts from my darts though to see how they hold up, it was tough breaking them with my fingers but a short sharp shock from a dart may have a different outcome.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review +1.
They do look impressive. The fact that the tangs could bend and not snap bodes well.
[font=Courier New][font=Arial Black]Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro[/font][/font]

Cheers!

Review fully updated now Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(10-17-2016, 12:14 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Cheers!

Review fully updated now Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Awesome pics and insight to complete your review Darren. :thumbup:

Like the "DartsNutz" forum flights in use as well. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks Brad Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice new intro and structure. Your reviews are looking very professional now.

Havent been impressed with Unicorn stems yet. Especially the Softflex and the X-Flight system have been very disappointing. But the Gripper 4 stems seem to be a lot better. Only the price is heavy compared to Target Pro Grip's or Harrows Supergrip's.
(10-17-2016, 04:15 PM)Buckshot Wrote: Nice new intro and structure. Your reviews are looking very professional now.

Havent been impressed with Unicorn stems yet. Especially the Softflex and the X-Flight system have been very disappointing. But the Gripper 4 stems seem to be a lot better. Only the price is heavy compared to Target Pro Grip's or Harrows Supergrip's.

Thanks mate!

I kind of like the X Flights but there is a few systems I like but I don't think one has outright won me over more than another, it seems they have things I like but some things I don't like too.

So far these Gripper 4 are doing well so I am hopefully they got it right with these Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Super review, full of all the information we need Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. these certainly do look like they have the potential to compete with the pro grips and supergrips, the first unicorn stem that might be able to do so. Always good to have another option available. Many thanks Darren Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Another good detailed review but I`m in a bit of a quandary with these stems, I prefer to punch my flights when using Pro Grips or Gripper 3`s which are my preferred stems,

But I cant punch the flights with these, I even changed the rings for springs and all to no avail, !.

I`m giving them a run for their money and see how we go, they do look very strong though and seeing as Wayne Mardle said to me that I "Throw like im hunting wildebeest" I feel a strong stem will benefit me,
Match DartsUnicorn Gary Anderson Phase 4, 25g

"Nil Satis Nisi Optimum"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Archers Vice Grip stems review Getagrip 30 8,974 09-04-2020, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Spangle
  Target Titanium carbon stems review JayKay 24 10,409 01-08-2019, 03:04 AM
Last Post: John Weita
  Cusoul Rost Integrated Stems and Flights Review Getagrip 12 4,601 09-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Last Post: donnie
  Accurate Dart AFS Product Update Review New Flights and Stems tested Getagrip 2 1,464 08-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Harrows Clic updated review on new standard stems and improved flights Getagrip 42 16,310 01-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Last Post: GreenDart180
  Unicorn X Flights review Getagrip 45 19,120 12-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Last Post: dsiegel
  Kwiz Titan dart stems review Cosmo 5 3,628 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Unicorn Raised Oche review Getagrip 15 7,085 03-10-2017, 06:33 PM
  Monster Dragster duralumin stems - mini review 4737 Carlin 21 7,481 02-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Last Post: kungfuron
  Unicorn Gripper 4 stem review Cosmo 16 5,439 10-26-2016, 07:35 PM