Target Darts.

Unicorn Gripper 4 stem review
Picture review from me for these but next one will be video again. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Here's my look at the Unicorn Gripper 4 stems, just in stock a few days ago!

So here they are as they come in standard Unicorn stem packaging:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

These are the new "long" length ones, so thought I would put them through their paces. Here's them close up:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

They seem a little longer than the Gripper 3 medium stems, although I know they're not properly aligned in this photo.

Surprisingly they're about the same length as a Target Pro Grip medium stem:

I wasn't going to let that put me off even though I did expect them to be longer. Now for fitting flights, and Unicorn actually posted a video on their channel recently showing how to maximise grip on the stem. So I tried their method, which is to:

a) pull the ring up to the top, b) put the flight in and let the ring slide down, c) push the flight down again, d) pull the ring down as far as it goes, e) push the flight down again.

Unfortunately I only got to step B and the ring didn't slide down much. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. So I just pushed the flight in as with a normal stem:

Here's a set of 3:

They do hold the flights very well, some force was needed to get them off! I imagine punched flights would stay on even better.

Here's a picture of a G4 setup versus Pro Grip setup:

Camera angle may skew it slightly but the Gripper 4 setup seems a little longer.

Comparing the weight of a Gripper 3 medium and Gripper 4 long:

Longer stems means more weight so again it's probably exaggerated a bit, but only a little heavier.

Here's the real advantage of the Gripper 4 though, looking at the tines:

While I really should have picked the white stems for this photo, I can tell you there is a heck of a smaller gap between flight and stem with the Gripper 4s, so good ol' Robin is less likely to come calling! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

And to round off, a shot of them in the board:

They make my darts go a little more tail down than with mediums, as could be expected, but right where I like them in terms of angle!

Overall I can't really fault these stems. They can be a bit fiddly to get the flight into but when it's in right, the grip really is great. 

For £1.50 a set, they're quite pricy and I can see some people not switching from their 18p durable nylon/deflectagrip stems but such is life! I think they're good value though.

They get a solid 8/10 on the Kosumo "How-awesome-is-this-product" scale! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
+1 from me very helpful review.
As a user of the gripper 3 I am thinking of trying these with my next purchase. I usually punch the flights and from the pictures I dont see that as a problem.
Cheers Kosumo.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Nice review Kosumo, quick question for you. What is the overall length (stem/flight) on the setup you have pictured?
Nice review Josh, I have some too, review soon hopefully. (+1)

I think the gripness is all dependent on the ring with these, you set it right and they grip well, if its not set right then it does not tighten the tangs as much.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(10-16-2016, 01:40 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Nice review Josh, I have some too, review soon hopefully. (+1)

I think the gripness is all dependent on the ring with these, you set it right and they grip well, if its not set right then it does not tighten the tangs as much.

Believe for these the optimum hold is created by the ring being pushed all the way down with the flight on top and not punched.

I'll have to get some and see myself, I normally don't punch my flights anyways.
(10-16-2016, 01:43 PM)Great White North Wrote:
(10-16-2016, 01:40 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Nice review Josh, I have some too, review soon hopefully. (+1)

Believe for these the optimum hold is created by the ring being pushed all the way down with the flight on top and not punched.

I'll have to get some and see myself, I normally don't punch my flights anyways.

Yep that's right but its difficult to do.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(10-16-2016, 01:45 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Yep that's right but its difficult to do.

Pardon my slowness (still early my way Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ), you mean "difficult" as in getting the ring to seat all the way down?
Have to be better then Gripper 3's, flights never stayed on those
Yeah I cant get it pushed all the way down, nearly broke my nails trying, but I got it quite far down and it was gripping tight enough

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(10-16-2016, 01:48 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Yeah I cant get it pushed all the way down, nearly broke my nails trying, but I got it quite far down and it was gripping tight enough

Cheers, do like that they've made them so that they hold various flight thicknesses or so they claim.  I normally use 75 mic. so hopefully they're just as firm hold wise with them as 100 etc.
Thanks for the review Josh +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Might add these to the basket in my next purchase. The rings look very durable and that's a big plus.
(10-16-2016, 01:06 PM)jc14 Wrote: +1 from me very helpful review.
As a user of the gripper 3 I am thinking of trying these with my next purchase. I usually punch the flights and from the pictures I dont see that as a problem.
Cheers Kosumo.

Thanks! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I think they work better without punched flights but that's just me.

(10-16-2016, 01:22 PM)Great White North Wrote: Nice review Kosumo, quick question for you. What is the overall length (stem/flight) on the setup you have pictured?

Thanks, I'll check for you Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers Darren Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Yeah that factors in I think; doesn't grip as well if the ring isn't right. A bit fiddly to do it the way Unicorn suggests but i can get good grip nonetheless Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(10-16-2016, 01:47 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Have to be better then Gripper 3's, flights never stayed on those

I agree with this statement Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(10-16-2016, 01:48 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Yeah I cant get it pushed all the way down, nearly broke my nails trying, but I got it quite far down and it was gripping tight enough

Same here! That's why I gave up. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(10-16-2016, 02:09 PM)joeriw96 Wrote: Thanks for the review Josh +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Might add these to the basket in my next purchase. The rings look very durable and that's a big plus.

Thanks Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Yeah, they're worth a go at least, good solid stems. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Rings seem durable as well, yes.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Nice review and pictures. Very helpful. Looks like unicorn might finally have a decent stem, even if they are slightly more expensive than their competitors
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

If they last well then the price should be bearable, so far so good Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Update for the interested.

I've had to decommission the black set of these as good ol' Robin did come calling when practicing with them. Dart didn't stick in the stem, rather it seemed to bounce off and all was well, I kept playing with them. Then, some time later, I actually felt (and saw) that same time come of, it had snapped above the ring Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Mind you, it's still usable with only 3 times for those who really like to get maximum use out of their stems but seeing how strong the tines were in Darren's review I am somewhat disappointed. That, and I like having 4 tines on my stems to ensure maximum flight grip.

I'm using Unicorn Omega Slim stems I got in the end of line sale now though. Might play with the white stems and see how they go.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn X Flights review Getagrip 45 19,098 12-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Last Post: dsiegel
  Unicorn Raised Oche review Getagrip 15 7,069 03-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Gripper 4 stems review and durability test Getagrip 27 14,610 01-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn HD2 Replaceable Numbers Review Getagrip 27 11,449 06-27-2016, 06:58 PM
Last Post: bosmajor