Unicorn

Elkadart Merlin 22g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0bCFKjk_tc

Some one asked me to review these darts a long time ago but I cant remember who it was lol!  Anyway here is the review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

There is 7 models in the Merlin range and they are all a different style and range from 18g up to 24g.  These are the 22g model and they are 80% tungsten and retail for a very wallet friendly £15.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a clam shell pack and are supplied with a hard plastic case, point protector, medium nylon stems and standard flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS:

CLOSE UP PICS:

The darts are a classic straight barrel ring grip and although the rings are grippier than they look I would say its closest to a medium level grip.

DIMENSIONS:

WEIGHT:

The difference between the lightest and heaviest dart is seven hundredths of a gram:

Weight of the full setup as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the balance is front weighted:

With the supplied set up it moves slightly front of centre:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I gripped these near the nose so was mostly on the front smooth section:

DARTS IN BOARD:

Darts landed my usual angle, a touch flatter maybe:

CONCLUSION:

I think this could be a good dart for most people who like a simple ring grip and short barrel, I would say its a good one for beginners too although I would normally recommend trying something around 24 or 25 grams the fact this is a short barrel kind of makes it feel a little heavier than it is, at least it does with my front grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The rings are cut fairly deep on these but not massively spaced apart so I would say its a medium level verging on a high medium but with my front grip I was not getting a feel of the rings really.  However it flew quite well with my front grip and had a nicely weighted feel but I think it flew even better from the centre.

From the centre the darts felt very nicely balanced and for me they were flying smooth and well so a natural middle grip is likely to get even better results.  It was surprisingly nice to throw in that grip position and probably helped by the shortness of the barrel and also the fact it is drilled out a fair bit from the rear.

I did try the darts with a rear grip and it flew ok so should be ok for rear grippers but I think it will depend if your happy with the smooth section there and you like a short front biased dart.

On the whole though these are really good value for money darts and I would definitely recommend middle grippers try them, should be fine for front grippers too but I think middle grippers will get the best from these. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 6.5 (just a classic style)
Grip: 6.5 (1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 7 (2 fairly close)
Quality: 7 (fine)
Value: 9.5 (great value)
Suitability for me: 7.5 (not bad really)
Best Feature: Middle balance Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Can't get much better value than those darts for £15 or so, and I like the simple design of the barrel. They look comfortable too.

So, only one word to describe these - magic darts! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for the review Darren. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

It looks like a nice made barrel, but as a rear gripper it wouldn't suit me. Would probably grip on the last ring and the smooth section with my thumb and I don't like that. Normally when I grip on two different grip styles with a finger, it just doesn't work for me.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Cheers guys! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Well done sir. The review should help others see that these are a nice dart at a good price. As usual enjoyed the review with a good cup of java.
Thanks Tom, I'm glad to entertain you, that will be $35 please! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Wait I thought you did this as a service for all that we give back to the group? Or maybe you are selling these and if so isn't there a proper place in the BST section?

Love your reviews as we all do. +1 (worth every bit of $35)
LOL Thanks mate! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review as per usual Darren. :thumbup:

Grip obviously totally different, but the profile is similar to a Steve Beaton barrel somewhat.
(10-09-2016, 04:04 PM)Great White North Wrote: Nice review as per usual Darren. :thumbup:

Grip obviously totally different, but the profile is similar to a Steve Beaton barrel somewhat.

Thanks Brad!

Yeah a similar profile to the Beatons Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review of a very reasonably priced dart. They should suit a broad range of player with that profile. Top job as always
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Thanks mate! yeah its a good all rounder Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks again for the shout out at the end of the review and also another fantastic review look a nice bit of kit these at a very good price.
Cheers mate! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great looking with storm points I think. A bit Fat for me, but can't complain for £15,-
may all the doubles be with you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elkadart reviewed darts index mc1958 0 1,056 12-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Elkadart Titanium Gold 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 20,444 10-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Elkadart Retro Pin Up 23g darts review Getagrip 19 15,583 08-05-2016, 09:52 AM
  Elkadart Tornado 24g darts review Getagrip 20 12,816 07-24-2016, 12:30 PM
  Elkadart Excalibur 24g darts review Getagrip 9 10,789 08-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Last Post: EastKentTom
  Elkadart Ultra Sonic 16g Soft Tip darts review Getagrip 13 7,666 08-30-2014, 10:20 PM
  Elkadart Black Titanium 24g darts review Getagrip 16 12,977 06-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  Elkadart 21 Gram Neptune Dart Review davidsproull 3 4,456 01-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Last Post: davidsproull