Target Darts.

Doubling in practice
In my league, our doubles matches play 501 SIDO, but our singles play DIDO.

If I get in on the first round, even second, I win the majority of my games.  Here's my dilemma:  It sometimes takes me in excess of 3 rounds to get in.  Meanwhile, my opponent goes in on 100+, hits say 85 and 60.  That's a lot of points to make up especially if I don't get a good in, if at all.

Last night I was throwing around the board in doubles, then started working on doubling in.  A game of sorts occurred to me that I will start using:

The game is 5 rounds.  Each time you double in, add the score to your total.

If you don't hit a double within 3 darts, halve your score.

If you miss the first round, game over.  Start again.  If during the 5 rounds your score hits zero/negative, game over.

Maximum score is 850 (5 x 170) but I don't think that will happen.

Thoughts??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  22gm Bulls White Pegasus, intermediate nylon/Target Carbon Ti Pro stems, Rhino standard flights.
Doesn't sound bad - good combination of both doubling in and scoring -

Really any routine you put together that can keep you focused during practice is a good one.
My goal would be to consistently 'get in' on the first round.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  22gm Bulls White Pegasus, intermediate nylon/Target Carbon Ti Pro stems, Rhino standard flights.
I don't know if you use an stat tracking tools but I definitely think they are a good idea.   I used to use a program called Rusys that would track your percentage on each double during around the world doubles.  The information is very useful and can be a boon to your confidence in a given shot for going in or out -

In double in games I usually go for double 20 to get in as this is the highest scoring double (outside of bull which is a tough shot), however if I struggle on the first throw I know to fall back on the 2 / 15 wedge as these numbers I know I have a statistically high percentage on -

The folks on my old team would always tease me if four was left because they knew double 2 was the number I hit best -

Psychologically it give you an advantage shooting at something you know you hit best -

hope this makes sense -
In my opinion doubling practice needs to somehow mimic the game situation. It's much easier to hit a double when it means nothing and if this routine of yours works for you then it's a good one!

Doubling in should be easier than doubling out as a miss inside doesn't mean a change of target. As Lurker says it would be a good idea to find statistically which doubles you are best at and go for that. A low in is better than a score of zero!

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Sounds like a short version of Bobs 27. You start with 27 so you get at least 5 rounds for free anyway. I have yet to score on Bobs 27. I made it to the bull once but then busted. Maybe this version would be easier on my ego.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Double top is my preferred 'in', but if I miss I will go 36, 32 or 28/22/16 wedge, depending on what I'm feeling.

I think I mentioned that I feel like I have a better hit percentage going out than in. Going out, if my first dart misses inside, I still have two darts to clean up. When doubling in, a miss inside or outside is a wasted dart. Depending on who you are playing, it might not matter.

I just love when I win the 'diddle' on a bull (double for us Americans) and not get in. What a waste.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your PPT and Doubling Percentage? Banz 13 2,027 08-09-2016, 11:16 PM
Last Post: Banz
  New practice game for doubling in JayPro 4 1,083 06-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Last Post: mcockrell
  Improve your Scoring and Doubling Sidewinder 4 1,115 05-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Sidewinder