Double Top Darts.

Unicorn Chris Dobey 23g
Hello nutz! Here a review of the 23g Unicorn Contender Chris Dobey, this is my 2nd review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. (click here for the 1st one, a comparison review between Unicorn Irina Armstrong & Target Scott Rand darts).

Chris Dobey is a young upcoming player that joined Team Unicorn this year and they recently released his signature darts. I believe he used Colin Lloyd stone grip darts before Unicorn made him these darts.
In this years German Dart Masters he played some great matches (he beat Dave Chisnall with a 102 avg hitting 7 180s) reaching the QF and nearly pulled off a win against Michael van Gerwen (here you can view this match on youtube).

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Packaging and content

Like all darts from the Unicorn Contender series the darts come in a plastic pack with inside a red compact case that includes the barrels, medium Gripper 3 stems, Dobey signature flights and 8 plastic flight protectors. The darts are 90% tungsten and retail for £26-£28 depending what shop you buy them from.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Pictures of the darts

Grip

There are a few rings on the front of the dart but most of the grip is at the rear of the dart. The rings are rounded (similar to the O'Shea G2 but smaller and with more space in between). I am used to a more aggressive type of grip on my darts so it took me some time to get used to the smoother feel of the rounded rings.

I would say the grip is a medium grip at most and will increase slightly when the darts warm up (which takes a bit of time for me personally as my hands are almost always cold).

Here's a closer look at the grip.

My grip with these

Balance

The balance of the barrel (without set-up) is front of centre.

Barrel only

The balance with the supplied setup (medium stem/standard flight) is slightly behind centre.

With supplied setup

The balance with my own setup (short stem/standard flight) is just slightly front of centre.

With my preferred set-up

Specifications

Weight: 23 gram
Length: 50.1 mm
Width: 6.4 mm

Dimensions

Alternatives:

The following sets are similar to the Dobey darts, but with a different kind of grip.
- Winmau Paul Nicholson (22g, 24g, 26g)
- Target Colin Lloyd Stone grip 23g

Conclusion & ratings:

The main reason for me the get these darts was the placement (almost perfect for my grip) and the different look of the grip on the product pictures. It looked like a reverse grip (like the Harrows Supergrip darts) and I thought it would be a lot more aggressive than it actually is, which was a bit disappointing for me at first, but each session they feel and fly better (managed a 180 with them yesterday) so I think I will keep them for a little longer Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images..

Here is a product picture the shops use to advertise them, as you can see the grip looks much more aggressive than it actually is.

Ratings (on a scale of 1 to 10)
Looks: 8
Grip: 7
Quality: 7.5
Value: 8

Christened them yesterday Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Nice review! Thanks. I like grippy dart, might check them out
Nice review -

Well done on the 180 -

They do look like they suit our grip perfectly
Well done on the review Kev and a nice max as well. :thumbup:
Great review! I actually think the grip would feel nice for me, though I would need them modified to continue it right through the smooth section.
Current Setup: 22g Reddragon Dragonflys
From Ontario, Canada
Best game: 11 darts
Instagram: @weswrestle10 
Very nive review Kev, Think these might suit my grip style and I like a wider ringed grip. Would prefer them in a slightly lower weight though.
very nice review Kev. +1 from me. they do look very nice, and also i would say different to most darts on the market.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Great review Kev +1

They remind me of the Winmau Nicholson darts so could be worth a try as I like those ones Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(09-29-2016, 02:01 PM)bjr990 Wrote: Nice review! Thanks. I like grippy dart, might check them out

Thanks! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(09-29-2016, 02:06 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: Nice review -

Well done on the 180 -

They do look like they suit our grip perfectly

Thanks! Yep they do, maybe one extra ring towards the front and it would be perfect Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(09-29-2016, 02:08 PM)Great White North Wrote: Well done on the review Kev and a nice max as well. :thumbup:

Thanks Brad Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(09-29-2016, 02:09 PM)weswrestle10 Wrote: Great review! I actually think the grip would feel nice for me, though I would need them modified to continue it right through the smooth section.

Thanks Wes Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. have you tried the new O'Shea's? I think the grip on those would come pretty close to these but it runs all over the barrel, except for the smooth part at the end right where my thumb sits lol.

(09-29-2016, 02:16 PM)joeriw96 Wrote: Very nive review Kev, Think these might suit my grip style and I like a wider ringed grip. Would prefer them in a slightly lower weight though.

Thanks Joeri Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. What's your preferred weight?

(09-29-2016, 02:21 PM)rich345 Wrote: very nice review Kev. +1 from me. they do look very nice, and also i would say different to most darts on the market.

Thanks rich! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(09-29-2016, 04:31 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Great review Kev +1

They remind me of the Winmau Nicholson darts so could be worth a try as I like those ones Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks Darren Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Yes me too (I just added a alternative section with the Nicholsons as well lol), I think the Nicholsons have a little more grip(?) and therefor might suit me a little better as I do like my darts grippy.
But on both sets it is smooth where I grip it so I can only think its the balance that makes it nice for my front grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(09-29-2016, 04:35 PM)Kev Wrote: Thanks Joeri Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. What's your preferred weight?

Been switching alot the last few months but I seem to have figured out that with a lighter dart (17-19g) I seem to have to most smooth throw and more consistancy. With heavier weights I tend to snatch alot.
great review Kev +1
Great review, thanks Kev Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts: Target Carrera C10 - 24g
Dartboard: One80 Gladiator II
Lighting: Target Vision 360
Surround: Winmau Orange
Nice review Kev! These look loads different than the stock photos.. I like the look of the grip on these..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Chris Dobey 23g darts review Getagrip 10 8,605 04-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Shot Chris White 23g darts review Getagrip 16 10,068 01-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Getagrip