Harrows Darts.

Lighter Darts????
Hello,

I am quite new and have been throwing my new 25g darts for a week.  I consistently sink them 3 to 4 mm from the barrel.  Should I be throwing a lighter dart?

Thanks,

Ron

Oops, I posted this in the wrong forum. Can a Mod please move to Help and Advice, sorry.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
What board have you got, it may be the board?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Lots of things affect how deeply the dart penetrates. Certainly the quality and age of a dartboard would. Weight of the dart, how hard you throw and how straight your dart flies (a lot of the Pro's and experienced players darts leave their hand tip up and hit the board tip down) also are factors, not to mention how sharp the points are.

I often throw 18 to 20 gram darts and mine sink pretty deep into the board, too.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I think darts going in deep in the board is good thing
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

When I put good pace on a 25g dart it sinks deep into a Winmau blade 4. Troll is right. Better going in deep than falling out. A lighter dart has less inertia and will go less deep.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

(09-26-2016, 05:46 PM)Getagrip Wrote: What board have you got, it may be the board?

Believe Ron mentioned he had a new Blade 4 DC in his intro.
also how long are your points
rod dog Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(09-26-2016, 05:46 PM)Getagrip Wrote: What board have you got, it may be the board?

Blade 4 Dual Core

(09-26-2016, 06:14 PM)ranger86 Wrote: Lots of things affect how deeply the dart penetrates.  Certainly the quality and age of a dartboard would.  Weight of the dart, how hard you throw and how straight your dart flies (a lot of the Pro's and experienced players darts leave their hand tip up and hit the board tip down) also are factors, not to mention how sharp the points are.

I often throw 18 to 20 gram darts and mine sink pretty deep into the board, too.

Board is a week old tomorrow, I try and throw slightly tip up, ends up flat on board.

(09-26-2016, 09:36 PM)Great White North Wrote:

Believe Ron mentioned he had a new Blade 4 DC in his intro.

Yup, thanks

(09-26-2016, 09:37 PM)Rod Dogg Wrote: also how long are your points

Not sure what they would qualify as, they are the original that came with my Wolframs.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
Well the B4DC is not a hard board so you could be a hard thrower, its worth trying a lighter dart, but its really whether the lighter dart feels right for you regardless of how it penetrates the board.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Doesn't matter how far it sticks in... just that it stays in!

I wouldn't go messing around with your dart weights if it's comfortable to you.

Side note.... on the B4... I bury pretty much every dart in all the way to the wood, everything from 17 grams and up.

(09-27-2016, 03:17 PM)Jugger Wrote: Doesn't matter how far it sticks in... just that it stays in!

Side note.... on the B4... I bury pretty much every dart in all the way to the wood, everything from 17 grams and up.

Is that a habit held over from your wrestling days?  Rumor has you had a tendency to "bury it" then too  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna try out some lighter darts but worry more about how they feel.
Steel Tip: 
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
Soft Tip: 
Hi Darts
Trying is a good thing, but learning "feeling" of a dart will tell you which ones are more "right" for your style of play. Started with ringed barrel shape, tried several found tapered "feels" best. Still working it out. You will too.
(09-27-2016, 04:05 PM)Cat Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 03:17 PM)Jugger Wrote: Doesn't matter how far it sticks in... just that it stays in!

Is that a habit held over from your wrestling days?  Rumor has you had a tendency to "bury it" then too  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I've buried one or two things in my time.... yup

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternating between heavier and lighter darts sydneycarton 4 248 01-14-2021, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Pidge
  Heavier vs. lighter dart Karldawg 8 1,777 06-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Karldawg
  Heavier Darts or Lighter Darts?? Craddyson 8 3,007 11-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Stevie L
  Go lighter as you get better or not? Balin 23 5,958 07-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Jugger
  Heavier or Lighter Darts? Grey Owl 33 12,927 05-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Banned