Shot Darts

any advice for a rotator cuff injury
hi,
    the last 8-9 months i have had bad shoulderblade and shoulder pain / weakness when throwing darts, my physio suspects a weak rotator cuff or serratus anterior,
  i just thought i would ask on here as this could be a common injury in dart players.

has anyone had anything like this? do you have any advise to ease the pain when playing?

thanks. 
harry
I think there is a few on here that have had it so I am sure they will answer soon as they see it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I had real bad shoulder pain when I first started playing again but I think it was more to do with trying to force an unnatural throw/stance for me.
I gave it a few weeks with no darts until the pain fully stopped then I didn't even think about my throw i just started throwing for fun, not caring where the darts went, I just wanted to get the joints moving naturally and smoothly and without any pain.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I had rotator cuff problems in 2012-2013 and finally went to an ortho to see what was going on. They had me do an MRI and that showed torn and shredded ligaments and debris in the joint. At the time my options were "Live with it or get it surgically repaired." Living with it was not much of an option since it affected almost every aspect of my life. I had limited mobility but more so, limited strength in the joint. I definitely couldn't play darts, pick up anything of any weight, and even sleeping at night often found me waking up in pain if I rolled over on the shoulder.
I hated not playing darts, but to throw was painful after even the briefest of session, so I took to tossing them left handed with mixed results early on, then I got better, but not like I threw with my right arm. I finally had the surgery done in October 2013, did almost 2 months of PT three times a week and did a lot of my own PT under their instruction at home. Even then, it took a good 6 months before I could feel comfortable throwing the darts again with my right arm.

My advice would be to rest it for as long as it takes if the damage is not severe. To keep trying to play may make it worse in the long run. I was taking an over the counter pain pill Aleve and that seemed to help a good bit when it acted up. I believe the only way the doctors can make an exact determination as to the damage is with an MRI and with your medical health care system, I don't know how that would work out for you since it seems like your issue isn't real severe, but more annoying than anything.

Also, I just noticed your nic is barbelmaster. If you are pushing iron in a gym, then that is likely where the injury started. I know I aggravated mine with the weights in the man cave.
thanks for the replies, that must of been terrible gumbo2176, yes the MRI is something i have been trying to get my doctor to refer me for but at the minute hes still wanting me to do the physio which doesn't seem to be helping at all,
it is so frustrating wanting to play when you know you have to rest.
Also my name is barbelmaster because i am an angler , i used to lift weights in the past, but i seem to have gone from drinking protein shakes and lifting 60kg to drinking beer and lifting 25grams, and to be honest i prefer the latter.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I've had a dodgy shoulder for a while,  and doing very light calisthenics has helped me greatly. I used to do routines from a book called convict conditioning. I'd talk to your physio first but I reckon some wall push-ups,  and vertical pulls might help.  You can find them on YouTube easily. Just go easy it will take time.
There Are No Heroes, Only Warriors
The short answer is basically rest for as long as it needs...not the one any player wants to hear but has to be done...I have disc issues in my back and I had to adapt my stance to take all pressure off but without swapping hands that's not really going to work with a shoulder injury

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arm Injury The Fox 13 262 02-22-2021, 08:04 PM
Last Post: The Fox
  Darts related injury Roadto180 2 132 02-20-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Roadto180
  Darts ending injury? I'm freaking out! The Jester 14 1,169 09-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Last Post: PREACHERMAN
  Injury recovery Jay Guildea 6 392 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Elbow pain/injury - has anyone recovered? skinnygav 12 1,776 07-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Darts With a Shoulder Injury pilmat 9 6,562 06-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Serial 7hriller