Shot Darts

Unibet World Grand Prix Field
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
THE field for the Unibet World Grand Prix has been confirmed, following the completion of the Players Championship treble-header in Barnsley.

The three PDC ProTour events in Barnsley were the final ranking tournaments before the cut-off for the unique double-start World Grand Prix, which will be held from October 2-8 at the Citywest Hotel in Dublin, live on Sky Sports.

The world's top 16 players qualify by right for the World Grand Prix, with the top eight players - headed by world number one Michael van Gerwen and reigning champion Robert Thornton - seeded.

A further 14 players qualify from the ProTour Order of Merit alongside the top two players from Ireland/Northern Ireland in the ProTour Order of Merit.

A dramatic week of Players Championships concluded on Thursday as both runner-up Steve West and quarter-finalist Cristo Reyes forced their way into qualifying places at the expense of Justin Pipe and Josh Payne, with Vincent van der Voort also narrowly missing out.

Ireland's Mick McGowan also edged out Northern Irish left-hander Mickey Mansell for a qualifying place, with the Balbriggan thrower having reached his first ProTour semi-final since 2008 on Tuesday to end a six-year absence from the World Grand Prix.

The draw for the Unibet World Grand Prix will be made during the forthcoming Unibet Champions League of Darts event in Cardiff on September 24-25, with details to follow at www.pdc.tv.

Tickets for the Unibet World Grand Prix are still available fromwww.ticketmaster.ie and pdc.seetickets.com or from the Citywest Hotel Box Office by calling 00353 (0)1 401 0505.

2016 Unibet World Grand Prix
PDC Order of Merit Top 16

(Top Eight Players Seeded)
1 Michael van Gerwen
2 Gary Anderson
3 Adrian Lewis
4 Phil Taylor
5 Peter Wright
6 James Wade
7 Robert Thornton
8 Michael Smith
Dave Chisnall, Jelle Klaasen, Ian White, Kim Huybrechts, Raymond van Barneveld, Mensur Suljovic, Stephen Bunting, Terry Jenkins

ProTour Order of Merit Qualifiers: Benito van de Pas, Gerwyn Price, Alan Norris, Joe Cullen, Simon Whitlock, Daryl Gurney, Steve Beaton, James Wilson, Mervyn King, Kyle Anderson, Jamie Caven, Steve West, Cristo Reyes, Robbie Green

Top Two Non-Qualified Players From Ireland/Northern Ireland From ProTour Order of Merit: Brendan Dolan, Mick McGowan
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Should be some great match ups this time around with some very hungry players qualified, I don't think anyone will look forward to playing Steve West right now as he was on fire yesterday.... Sooo close to beating Shrek
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
This is one of my favorite tournaments of the year I love how they have to double on to start the leg. Doubling on gives a different dynamic and makes it for interesting viewing. I don't see MVG not winning this one but there are upsets sometimes in darts so it will be exciting to watch.
One of my favourites as well - not sure why but I think Wright may actually break his tv duck and win this one
I'm really looking forward to this tournament, everyone looks in good form going into this. The only 1 who looks a bit off lately is Dolan but he has a habit of turning up and doing some damage in this event.

The first round could be carnage with only 8 seeded players 

Bring on the chaos  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Yeah, looking forward to this.

Heaps of dangerous players outside of the seedings.

Hoping Kyle can pick things up again after a bit of a dip since Perth and also that Whitlock can continue his decent recent form.

Possibly dumb question: Why do Ireland/N. Ireland get to extra players?

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(09-23-2016, 10:56 PM)Banz Wrote: Yeah, looking forward to this.

Heaps of dangerous players outside of the seedings.

Hoping Kyle can pick things up again after a bit of a dip since Perth and also that Whitlock can continue his decent recent form.

Possibly dumb question:  Why do Ireland/N. Ireland get to extra players?

100% agree with you on this MVG will have his hands full in this one.  Kyle is a very strong player and so is Whitlock. This tournament and the Worlds are my two favorite tournaments of the year.
I think in the past it's been to add local interest with it being in Dublin. 

Maybe not so much required now with the talent in depth but Northern Ireland and Rep of Ireland have now got enough talent within the top 50/64 where it's not just a steam roll the locals job and when the likes of Dolan have a good run it does seem to give the crowd that extra involvement 

I remember a game between I think it was Priestley v Mardle and it went on well over midnight as Priestley battled back, nothing against Mardle but it was great to see Dennis chipping away the lead leg by leg, set by set 

( I'm sure briefly a sponsor sticker that kept falling off his shirt he stuck on his forehead for a throw and kept in his regular methodical style as if nothing was wrong - please tell me I didn't imagine this  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. )
(09-23-2016, 11:11 PM)HB501 Wrote: I think in the past it's been to add local interest with it being in Dublin. 

Oh yeah, of course. I skimmed the main text and just saw "Barnsley" leaping out. Didn't notice it was in Dublin but I should've remembered. I did say it was possibly a dumb question!

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

I think Dolan is a potentially dangerous player as we saw at the Matchplay and McGowan is in great form, so I'm happy to see those two there.
2016 Unibet World Grand Prix Draw

Michael van Gerwen (1) v Steve Beaton
Mick McGowan v James Wilson
Michael Smith (8) v Alan Norris
Joe Cullen v Simon Whitlock
Peter Wright (5) v Brendan Dolan
Dave Chisnall v Robbie Green
Phil Taylor (4) v Steve West
Mensur Suljovic v Daryl Gurney
Gary Anderson (2) v Jamie Caven
Kyle Anderson v Cristo Reyes
Robert Thornton (7) v Stephen Bunting
Ian White v Kim Huybrechts
James Wade (6) v Terry Jenkins
Gerwyn Price v Benito van de Pas
Adrian Lewis (3) v Jelle Klaasen
Mervyn King v Raymond van Barneveld

Live on Sky Sports, October 2-8, Citywest Hotel, Dublin
(09-25-2016, 11:58 AM)Great White North Wrote: 2016 Unibet World Grand Prix Draw

Michael van Gerwen (1) v Steve Beaton
Mick McGowan v James Wilson
Michael Smith (8) v Alan Norris
Joe Cullen v Simon Whitlock
Peter Wright (5) v Brendan Dolan
Dave Chisnall v Robbie Green
Phil Taylor (4) v Steve West
Mensur Suljovic v Daryl Gurney
Gary Anderson (2) v Jamie Caven
Kyle Anderson v Cristo Reyes
Robert Thornton (7) v Stephen Bunting
Ian White v Kim Huybrechts
James Wade (6) v Terry Jenkins
Gerwyn Price v Benito van de Pas
Adrian Lewis (3) v Jelle Klaasen
Mervyn King v Raymond van Barneveld

Live on Sky Sports, October 2-8, Citywest Hotel, Dublin

Really looking forward to this now. I like that there's 8 seeds and a lot of dangerous opponents floating around. Should open things up.

I reckon Lewis vs Klaasen is the pick of the first round ties.

And, apart from Kyle and Simon, looking forward to Merv King vs Barney.

Actually looks like a decent draw for Whitlock. Apart from having MvG his other seed is Michael Smith who looked out of sorts against Wadey in the CL. He could well get to the quarters.

Another potential quarter final match up is Adrian Lewis vs Gerwyn Price. Not such a clear path for either of them though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2020 Unibet Premier League mc1958 288 15,519 10-16-2020, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  2020 World Grand Prix mc1958 140 4,386 10-13-2020, 04:03 PM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  2019 Unibet European Championship mc1958 74 4,257 11-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Last Post: SamCarter501
  2019 BoyleSports World Grand Prix mc1958 72 4,108 10-14-2019, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper
  2019 European Darts grand Prix mc1958 57 2,139 05-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Last Post: jt4527
  2019 German Darts Grand Prix mc1958 48 2,213 04-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Last Post: spencer
  PDC World Championship field expanded to 96 players vanJupp 64 6,202 11-28-2018, 01:47 PM
Last Post: vanJupp
  2018 European Darts Grand Prix (ET5) mc1958 88 8,398 11-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  2018 Unibet European Championship mc1958 125 7,017 10-30-2018, 11:18 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  2018 Unibet World Grand Prix mc1958 108 6,659 10-07-2018, 01:57 PM
Last Post: sjmattitude1982