Target Darts.

Short Arming / Low Elbow with my Throw
Well, I know this is mostly a European forum so you're going to have to help me with the correct terminology but over the past week I have lost a lot of consistency and I can tell it is from short arming my throw. The short arm is like a low-elbow push-throw instead of a high release over-the-top (obviously you're not going to be coming over-the-top in darts, but you shouldn't short arm it either). The first 5 seconds of this video shows exactly what I mean when I say a short-arm throw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhf1-7zH6M0

Here is my throw from about 5 months ago, when I didn't have this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYbFaH4Niu8

I know I am cutting off the follow-through a decent bit and if I had a better follow-through I could be more consistent. But I can watch this video and see I am not having the tucked low elbow problem I am having now. I don't have an updated video from this week, but it seems like when I try to get my elbow up like in the video of my throw I don't have any control, so I tuck it and then I am just forcing every dart instead of having a fluid throw.

Anyone ever have issues with short-arming darts and suggestions on how to get over it?

180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(09-14-2016, 02:21 PM)Troll Wrote: [Videos]

Thanks, this is perfect from one of my favorite players!

Can't wait to practice tonight before the league (Wednesday is our league night!). Got some new darts coming in today too...
Every single time I throw and my arm drops down I know it because my darts go crooked and land all different. I'm not consistent till I keep my elbow level. Even then I am not ever going to be the best but better. LOL
Well the first video got me thinking back to my baseball days, using a towel to help with follow through. You use a towel instead of a baseball for less stress on the elbow, and basically throw it like you would a baseball but make sure to follow through and get the 'snap' of the towel.

Now this is obviously darts not baseball, but since you used the term short arm and linked that video I assume you can understand what I'm talking about?

So in terms of darts, I would try to just focus on follow through, looks like you are just pushing the dart and very stiff. Which can work for some people, everyone throws different but if you're trying to get rid of it, maybe forget about the result of the dart and make sure to be following through. Repitition and practice brakes a bad habit, maybe force yourself to hold your elbow up before release and then having your arm completely extended and elbow straight (pointing straight to the board) after release

Edit- ah I misread, I thought the video was the problem not from when you didn't do it. Well I'll leave what I said in case it helps but maybe not lol. To me, it looks like you're short arming in that video and just flicking it and stopping your throw. But again, darts is way different from baseball and some people throw like that. I follow through and have my elbow straight after each throw, like MVG or Phil Taylor
Match darts - 22g Customs
Best 501 - 11 Darts
Thanks for that Troll. Don't know how I never saw these before, but it just put a lot of my throw in perspective. +1 mate!
Darts in Use:
STEEL
League/Match Set: Voks 22g EL-C Crossover
Backup match set: Dynasty 20g Fallon Sherrock Soft tips (w/ Fit Point conversion points)
Home Board: Blade 4 Dual Core
SOFT
Match Set: Katana Kokutou Hisyou 17.5g  Softtips. (My principle soft tip set)
Backup Match Set: Bull's Mamba 97 16.5g
Home Board: Gran Board II

bjr990,

Even in your video from 5 months ago, you are not following through completely. At the end of your stroke your arm should be fully extended toward the board with your index finger pointing at your target.
In your video you are stopping your throw pretty much as soon as you release the dart, its what I call a stabby throw so I think it would be helpful to see what your throw is like now compared to then.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

From watching the two videos i went and practiced last night and idk if I was just having a good day but it deffinitely worked
180 Goal - 5/10  
Twitter: James_Judd
Instagram: DartFiend1992  

(09-15-2016, 09:08 AM)Getagrip Wrote: In your video you are stopping your throw pretty much as soon as you release the dart, its what I call a stabby throw so I think it would be helpful to see what your throw is like now compared to then.

Still stabby...took this yesterday when I got home after watching Wayne's videos:

(09-15-2016, 01:25 PM)bjr990 Wrote:
(09-15-2016, 09:08 AM)Getagrip Wrote: In your video you are stopping your throw pretty much as soon as you release the dart, its what I call a stabby throw so I think it would be helpful to see what your throw is like now compared to then.

Still stabby...took this yesterday when I got home after watching Wayne's videos:

We had league night last night..GF and I won Doubles 501...then I won 501 singles, 301, and then got swept in Doubles cricket and singles cricket.

Our team went 11-14 in x01 (first half) and 2-19 in cricket / corkers choice (second half) Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Completely agree with the importance of follow through and realized I was working on my throw backwards, at least for me. I was very focused on stance, arm position, etc., etc. and thought that good follow through would come as I worked on it. Lately, I have been putting follow through first. I spent some time just getting a good follow through and extension just aiming at the board as a whole. When I started to aim specifically, I was much, much more consistent.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

yes it still is, but this is the thing that I often think is the dilemma when advising people, should you tell them to try to improve their throw or just let them get on with it the way they naturally do it and hope they just get more consistent?

I have to say that most people would recommend a full follow through but there is plenty of people who can get really good doing it they way they do it.

But I think you should give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how you get on.

Don't bother to aim for anything in particular while practising, just throw the dart at the board without caring where it lands and just concentrate on getting that full follow through.

When it starts to feel like you can do it easier then try making your shots with the same action.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(09-15-2016, 02:18 PM)Getagrip Wrote: yes it still is, but this is the thing that I often think is the dilemma when advising people, should you tell them to try to improve their throw or just let them get on with it the way they naturally do it and hope they just get more consistent?

I have to say that most people would recommend a full follow through but there is plenty of people who can get really good doing it they way they do it.

But I think you should give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how you get on.

Don't bother to aim for anything in particular while practising, just throw the dart at the board without caring where it lands and just concentrate on getting that full follow through.

When it starts to feel like you can do it easier then try making your shots with the same action.

I certainly play enough hours that I can spend a week or two at least trying proper follow-through, I really want to.

It seems so hard to me though to have a full follow-through and not throw the dart really, really hard. I'll have to practice more this week.
Looking at both your videos I can see you are pulling your arm back toward you immediately after letting go of the dart, you see your hand springs back.  It looks like you are activating muscles as a brake to stop your arm from continuing further away from you. That might be why you say you find it hard to get a follow through.  

I beleive follow through comes from a loose relaxed wrist, elbow and shoulder from start to after the dart has hit the board.  I suppose it can feel like you have to trust that you won't throw your arm out it's shoulder socket.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elbow help! JamesS97180 3 286 04-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  Is my elbow ok? Troll 4 466 09-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  throw feels short Darts1234 30 1,716 08-08-2019, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Jefferz
  elbow bdebbane 3 503 05-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Last Post: bdebbane
  elbow up? Spike Adams 6 1,054 07-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Devil 10