Shot Darts

Kosumo's Thoughts: The "true" World Championships
Today I thought I'd talk about something that's... already been talked about, likely, but something I want to add my 2 cents to.

Now before I start I'd like to address a couple things. This topic is not meant to be a go at the PDC, BDO, or any other darts organisation. I enjoy watching darts, no matter what organisation. This is just what I think and as such is made up of my own opinions (onions?), so if you disagree then that's fine but don't accuse me of blasphemy etc. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

--------------------

Recently, I've been plagued by a question that I can't shake and one I want to talk about. The PDC and the BDO, as any darts fan worth their tungsten knows, both have a World Championship. It's a point of contention between fans of both organisations which of the two is the "true" World Championship. Some BDO fans may say theirs is due to the history, some PDC fans may say theirs is as there's more money and higher averages.

To me, a World Championship should be the best players in the world duking it out to see who really is best. By this logic, surely I must think the PDC's WC is the "true" one? Maybe not, as there's more to it in my eyes - and it comes down to the organisations themselves.

The PDC, to begin with, was set up in 1992 as the World Darts Council (or WDC), as an alternative to the BDO's running of events. The infamous split came in 1994 and they went their own way from the BDO from there on. After the Tomlin order of 1997, the WDC became the PDC as we know it today. Headed up by Barry Hearn, they changed how darts was presented altogether. In came the entrance music, smoke machines, walk on girls, and other things. They presented it as a night out, not just a sport. 

The BDO kept to a more traditional style, though they too introduced walk on music. It felt similar to how it used to, and in some PDC fans' eyes it's old and archaic, despite their attempts to modernise themselves.

In the early to mid 2000s, the PDC's prize money pot overtook the BDO's for the first time - and has stayed there ever since. There's serious money to be won in the PDC but most of it can only be obtained if you're in the top 16 or 32 in the world. Barry Hearn himself has admitted that the PDC is elitist by nature. Only the top 64 players in the world earn the automatic right to return for next year's competitions. Anyone whose tour card has run out has to go through Q School.

BDO events on the other hand are open to almost anyone; providing they agree with the terms of the 1997 Tomlin order. There's less money on offer but it's a lot more accessible. Some of the PDC's best players have come through the BDO; it's commonly seen as a stepping stone these days to get to the "better" organisation.

You're probably wondering why I put that in quotation marks. Simple - the word "better" is a very subjective one.

Wind forward to today. The BDO has not changed too much, but the PDC has. Crowds are louder, breaking into chants of "Oh, Gary Gary" and "There's only one Phil Taylor". 9 dart finishes are abundant and missed 9-darter attempts are booed. Players are sometimes jeered for misses. Anything short of a 100 average is often seen as sub-par and the image of people in fancy dress, going to get drunk and have a party... it's all so different to the BDO, but is it really better? Is that really the image a World Championship should have?

The BDO's atmosphere seems a lot more professional. Crowds give order when darts are being thrown, and there's still celebration and reactions. A lot of PDC fans pan the BDO crowds for being boring. A lot of PDC fans pan the BDO themselves for being boring. A common criticism of the BDO is that their players cannot play darts since they're not always hitting ton-plus averages like the PDC players. 

But the talent is there, somewhere. Players like Jeff Smith, Martin Adams and Scott Waites who could probably stick it in the PDC are all BDO players. Both Waites and Adams have committed themselves to the BDO; Waites due to a lack of time to play on the full PDC circuit and Adams simply because he prefers playing in the BDO, and likely not because they can't stick it to the PDC boys as some will say - Smith almost hit a 9 at this year's BDO WC. Martin Adams' appearance at the Grand Slam in 2015 where he topped his group and only just lost to Kim Huybrechts in the knockout stages shows he can hack it and Waites is a former Grand Slam champion himself, the only BDO player to receive that honour.

And yet the talent all seems to go to the PDC. Now don't get me wrong here. I like watching high-scoring games as much as I do a 90-average slog. The thrill of seeing players hit 180 after 180 and going for 170 checkouts and 9 darters can be something else altogether. Seeing two players push each other to their limits and end up within a few legs of each other is something I love to see in darts. Whether the winning margin is 10-9, 7-5 or 17-14, I love a close game of darts and if the stats are sky high on both sides, all the better. The BDO, by my own admission, doesn't always have the averages and unreal stats of the PDC.

The BDO does have something the PDC does not, though - a presence and a platform for women's darts. Historically, yes, the averages are lower in the women's game but don't take that to mean they can't play darts. Deta Hedman once made it to the last 64 of the UK Open causing upsets along the way. Lisa Ashton is improving end on end and almost hit a ton-plus average in the BDO World Trophy and beat the record for a highest average in a televised women's game. Trina Gulliver has won the women's World Championship ten times; just 6 world titles less than Phil Taylor.

The PDC tried a Women's World Championship in 2010; Stacy Bromberg won it and it was never repeated. There was only £4,000 more on offer for the winner than the BDO's championship even though it had 4 times the amount of players than the BDO championship - maybe the appeal to try simply wasn't there. 

So where am I going with this, you ask? How does any of this relate to which championship is the "true" world championship between the BDO and the PDC? 

Perhaps neither is the "true" world championship.

Maybe that title belongs to the World Darts Federation's World Cup. The WDF is the highest governing body for the sport of darts and the official sport governing body. They are a full member of SportAccord - the governing body for all international sport federations. By this logic, Jim Williams is the "true" men's World Champion and Lisa Ashton the "true" women's World Champion. But the WDF World Cup is only held once every two years, as opposed to the annual PDC and BDO championships. It makes more sense to have a World Championship every year; a lot of other World Championships are.

Which leads me into my closing points. The BDO is a member of the WDF while the PDC is an independent organisation. 

Let's just think about the word "corporation". By definition, a corporation is a company that is recognized as a single entity. A company is a legal entity, often set up to undertake a commercial or industrial enterprise.

When you think about it that way, it starts to make sense. The PDC have tried, and succeeded, in making darts a business. Bets are placed, sponsors pay the PDC for advertising. The PDC make loads of money every year.

But when one looks at the BDO and the WDF, one does not see dollar signs everywhere. The focus is more on the love of the game of darts, in my opinion. The fans come to see darts, not get drunk and have a party. There's still fun in the BDO crowd regardless. The PDC World Championship has gained the averages, the money, the nine dart finishes, the popularity and players, and the respect of fans worldwide. It's done so much to promote the game of darts around the world.

It's just that, to me, it cares more about darts as a business, a party, a circus, than it does darts as a legitimate sport. Think. If the IAAF decided to start giving athletes walk-on-girls, fireworks and champagne, it just wouldn't seem legitimate anymore, would it? It would just seem like a bit of a show. And that's what the PDC feels like to me. A bit of a show.

And it's why the PDC's World Championship can never be the "true" world championship in my eyes. It may be "better", but it doesn't love darts as a sport quite as much as the WDF and BDO do. 

--------------------

Roast me. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
If Man United, Bayern Munich, Paris St Germain, Ajax, Inter Milan and Barcelona all seceded from their respective leagues to set up a 'European Superleague', then would the champion be the European Champion? No, no matter what the club would say.

Similarly, the winner of the PDC "World Championship" is simply the PDC champion, no more, no less.

Yeah its like in MMA how you can be the world champion, but only of that company.
(09-07-2016, 07:11 PM)Pundy79 Wrote: If Man United, Bayern Munich, Paris St Germain, Ajax, Inter Milan and Barcelona all seceded from their respective leagues to set up a 'European Superleague', then would the champion be the European Champion? No, no matter what the club would say.

Similarly, the winner of the PDC "World Championship" is simply the PDC champion, no more, no less.

Hate to break it to you mate but, in that hypothetical situation, it would be city not united joining the 'European superleague' Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Although I'd hate it to be either of em lol
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'll post this early for this thread.

Will not get involved in this discussion whatsoever, enjoy it however everyone. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(09-07-2016, 07:43 PM)Walker Wrote:
(09-07-2016, 07:11 PM)Pundy79 Wrote: If Man United, Bayern Munich, Paris St Germain, Ajax, Inter Milan and Barcelona all seceded from their respective leagues to set up a 'European Superleague', then would the champion be the European Champion? No, no matter what the club would say.

Hate to break it to you mate but, in that hypothetical situation, it would be city not united joining the 'European superleague' Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Although I'd hate it to be either of em lol

Yeah, Hull City...
The PDC and the BDO are fundamentally different and who you deem as "world champion" depends on your definition.

In essence, the PDC is a platform for professional players. Their top players generally don't have "day jobs". While a few BDO players may earn their living solely through darts, the BDO is largely an amateur organization (as is the WDF). If your definition of world champion incorporates inclusiveness, then the BDO winner is champ. If you think of the world champ as the "best" player, then the PDC winner is champ.

In terms of tournament atmosphere, I find that the PDC events are often too raucous and that is distracting. On the other hand, the BDO events are sometimes so quiet that there is no sense of excitement,
I comletely agree with you but when you start looking at the stats it's clear the top of the pdc is a bit above the top of the bdo players. So in my eyes you could call the pdc champion a better champion than the bdo one. Nonetheless it kinda saddens me that there are seperate organisations and that the player base it split.

In a perfect world a system where you could promote/demote between the pdc and bdo would be great but I'm afraid there are just too many tournaments and players to make that happen.
They should just bury the hatchet, join together, and make a giant league sorta thing like in football and have some kinda point system in place where a certain number get promoted and relegated at the end of the season.
That sh*t would be cool
Just to really throw it a mess - you don't even mention soft tip darts I mean come on they get no consideration?

Maybe winner of Darts live the World stage should be world champion?
Too lazy to read ,but in all cases PDC had unified world champion .
180-1(33)

(09-07-2016, 08:50 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: Just to really throw it a mess - you don't even mention soft tip darts I mean come on they get no consideration?

Aye this is another good point.

Each company should send their best to slug it out Hunger games style.
(09-07-2016, 09:05 PM)JDorks Wrote: Aye this is another good point.

Each company should send their best to slug it out Hunger games style.

Yes! Darts are the only weapons allowed, they are locked inside the entire lakeside complex, the sole survivor takes £3 million pounds!
(09-07-2016, 08:50 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: Just to really throw it a mess - you don't even mention soft tip darts I mean come on they get no consideration?

I was going to mention The World, but I thought the OP was long enough already Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
I can see where you are coming from Kosumo but I see it slightly differently. For me the true world champion is the best player, not the best organisation. And I honestly do not see a BDO player winning a unified world championship ahead of the top pdc players.

Adams and waites et al are very good dart players for sure but I honestly don't see them beating Taylor MVG or Anderson etc if they all played under one banner in one championship.

I can see merits in both organisations.

Also I don't think it's fair to some pdc board members to say all they care about is money. The likes of Harrington are ex players who love the game of darts and have a real passion to grow the sport all around the world. Yes they make money but they also reinvest a lot of it to further develop the organisation including investing heavily in a youth system.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Medium Natural 
Flights: Standard No.2

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jdc Virtual Amateur World Darts Championships Meathead28 1 243 04-24-2020, 12:55 PM
Last Post: JAMSGOLF
  Are you a Collector, or a tried and true true-blue? CalixNL 31 1,424 08-24-2019, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Jefferz
  PDC World Championships Tickets goonas 7 556 08-13-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: goonas
  A true sportsman Dorian 12 2,646 03-14-2018, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Cooper84
  WHAT A NIGHT! Dreams came true! Seán4393 25 2,266 01-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Seán4393
  Must be true Little al 4 815 11-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  If this story is true... djb 11 1,425 07-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Last Post: *Saber*