Target Darts.

Advice Starting Again
Had my first throw today after not playing at all for many years. I used to think I was reasonable but today I was pretty much clueless. There is no physical reason why I shouldn't be able to play. Can you just 'go at the game'? 

I don't want to give up and just hope it was a case of not coping with the set of darts which seemed a little on the heavy side. Is that possible?

Back in the day I used to like to float my darts with a slow delivery and pretty sure the barrel was quite a bit bigger and the dart length shorter. 

Would a lighter dart be better? If so how light? 

In an ideal world I would like to try some options but I am not where I could go to actually do that. Any suggestions in terms of actual darts or where to look would be much appreciated? 

Thanks
Sounds like you have used the Lowe/Taylor style darts ,,, short and fat ,,,(like me),,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Welcome to DartsNutz,,,,Enjoy,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Don't worry it happens to me on a daily basis, it can feel as if I've never held a dart in my life, but I persevere and usually get into a rhythm. (That rhythm is usually 26, 26, 26 ..... but im consistent and that's not All bad surely )

In all seriousness though darts is all about repeating the same action time and time again and the only way you're going to get consistent is by practicing.

If I may offer advice I'd say set yourself small practice goals to begin with, three darts in two adjoining segments for example then three in the same section, or three in the big part of the section etc.

It may sound lame but I find it still works for me at my skill level

Oh
Welcome to Nutz
BTW

Cheers
Tez
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts currently used ....... Target Taylor 9five Gen3 26g with Harrows short Supergrip stems and punched Target Vision Flights.

Darts owned.......... Target Taylor 9five Gen2 quattro 26g, Harrows Fire 26g, Red Dragon Falcon GT 26g, XQmax MvG gold 25g, Winmau Steve Beaton 24g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Atomised grip) 23g, Winmau Andy Fordham (Onyx) 23g, Unicorn John Part (Silver Star) 23g, Winmau Wild Roses 22g.

Board used ......... Winmau Blade 5 DC
I would be inclined to start as cheap as possible...used sets of here or eBay are a good place to start...and if you get a set you don't fancy you can trade them on here for something else..I would start off going back to something as similar as what you were used to as possible and then work from there...

Good chance they could have been brass 'pub' darts going by that description...I wouldn't reccomend sticking with brass but could be a good cheap reference point for you
So, you haven't thrown in years, pick up your darts and didn't exactly do well and the darts felt odd.    Sounds about right and a normal experience.     Darts is a precision game, don't play for a long time and you lose that "feel" you had when playing a lot.

I would liken it to a pool player not playing in a long time then picking up his cue and thinking he'd pot the balls as easily as he once did.   It will probably not happen.    When I played pool, I called it being in stroke when things just flowed easily, balls fell and the cue would set up on the next object ball like I intended.   Don't play for a long time and those easy shots you once made without really thinking suddenly can't find the bottom of the pockets and the cue ball is going where ever it wants.

Kind of the same with darts------so don't fret or start changing darts just yet.    Get comfortable tossing what you have for now to see if you get your stroke back.   I'm betting in a little time you will once again be hitting your target.
Thanks for the replies.

There was no way I was expecting to be peppering the treble 20's but I had hoped to if not hit 20's to be in the region either side. As it was I was spraying the darts everywhere and to me it felt like I had little or no control. 

Pretty the weight was a factor and if I carried on with those darts I couldn't see it happening.

Obviously, I can't keep borrowing darts, hence the inquiry.

I don't know anywhere I could try sets out and given that there are literally thousands of sets out there I was hoping for some specific recommendations (based on my original post) that I could at least take a look at.
Hello Ian and welcome aboard, I would not worry too much about it, just keep practising and it will come back. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think starting with a dart around 24 or 25 grams is a good place to start and if your more of a floater then a Lowe style with medium stems and standard flights could work well.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

The range of McCoys or Eagle Darts at Pure. BTW, the photos look like ABSOLUTE rubbish. Apparently the darts look superb for the prices! You can find better photos here, on the internet, or at dartsmegastore (same company, better photos, slightly higher prices i think).

Getagrip already recommends a nice shape. I would add not to restrict yourself considering how affordable these darts are,  and get a longer torpedo like the 23g Eagle Argent (https://www.puredarts.co.uk/eagle-argent...23gms.html) as well as a shorter bullet.

https://www.puredarts.co.uk/real-mccoy-darts/      https://www.dartsmegastore.com/darts/mccoy-darts/

https://www.puredarts.co.uk/eagle-tungsten-darts/

All the best me8!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Unfortunately, some of those links didn't open for me.

Hoping to have another go with some lighter darts tomorrow.

Been browsing the net. Is there anything obviously wrong with these? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14g-16g-Light...p7MSHDyzVA

At least I like the colour combination.
Halloween Darts! Cool color scheme.
Darts in Use:
STEEL
League/Match Set: Voks 22g EL-C Crossover
Backup match set: Dynasty 20g Fallon Sherrock Soft tips (w/ Fit Point conversion points)
Home Board: Blade 4 Dual Core
SOFT
Match Set: Katana Kokutou Hisyou 17.5g  Softtips. (My principle soft tip set)
Backup Match Set: Bull's Mamba 97 16.5g
Home Board: Gran Board II

Can someone explain in terms of weight what front loaded etc. means?

If I am looking for a short, light dart (<20g) with a large brass barrel any suggestions?

Thanks
Think mortar, as in artillery shell, and the way it is shaped with a more bulbous front end and narrower in the rear.   That is what a front loaded dart looks like in my experience.    Not sure about the weight ratio, but I'd think at least 3/5ths of the weight is in the front part of the dart.

Edited to ask this. Why brass in this day and age with so many other, better choices out there. Especially if looking for a light, short, front loaded dart. I would think tungsten would be a better option.
If you see the start of the thread it was suggested I was probably using brass when I played before.

I am not looking for the flashiest darts just something I can gain a bit of confidence with.
(09-01-2016, 10:43 PM)IanS Wrote: Had my first throw today after not playing at all for many years. I used to think I was reasonable but today I was pretty much clueless. There is no physical reason why I shouldn't be able to play. Can you just 'go at the game'? 

I don't want to give up and just hope it was a case of not coping with the set of darts which seemed a little on the heavy side. Is that possible?

Back in the day I used to like to float my darts with a slow delivery and pretty sure the barrel was quite a bit bigger and the dart length shorter. 

Would a lighter dart be better? If so how light? 

In an ideal world I would like to try some options but I am not where I could go to actually do that. Any suggestions in terms of actual darts or where to look would be much appreciated? 

Thanks

I don't think there's a general answer to the question of "which dart is better" as it's so dependant on how you grip and throw.  As you're in the UK you should be able to buy a set of tungsten darts that are as good as any on the market (minus the pro player endorsement) for 10 quid.  Companies like Nodor and sellers like Darts Clearance would be an excellent place to start.

I personally would go with a dart in the middle of the weight range (22 - 24g) as a starting point.  Pick a shape that you've got on with in the past and go for.  Add a set of stems of each length (short, medium, long) and a set of flights of each shape (standard, kite, pear, slim) to your order and then wait impatiently for them to arrive.

I'd set them up with medium stems and standard flights and just grip them and throw them naturally.  See how they fly and land.  I could (and have) write any amount of stuff on practice but I won't hijack this thread!  I'm in the camp of "find a set that works for you and stick with them" so that's what I'd do.

Once you have the darts you like then consider signing up to Flight School.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cold starting Blanton 9 601 11-29-2017, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Banz
  Starting a new Darts Club Aussie Kev 21 1,928 08-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Aussie Kev
  Starting A Darts League - Help! Kris 6 955 03-25-2017, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Kris