Target Darts.

Unicorn X Flights review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEU1oqinTk

Ok here we go then a review of the new X Flights from Unicorn Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Oh did I mention I hit a 180 with these, well I did lol.   Hey I don't hit that many so I will shout out a bit about it and you can see it in the video above too, nice to catch one on video, its a rare thing so savour it! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I got these when I went to the Unicorn launch in June, so many thanks to Unicorn and I have been using them about a week or so now.

The system is available to buy as a full kit with stems body and flights which retails for £7.80.  The wings and body are available for £2.99 each and the stems are £3.59.

As we all know there is many moulded flight systems available these days so I guess we don't really need another one, but who cares, its nice to have lots of choice right? And we are Nutz are we not? so we always want new things to try Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Unicorn already have other moulded flights available in the Supertrue and they have had them in the past (nova plume for example) long before others have in recent times so its not like they are copying off others but I guess just pandering to the market of more of the same but in a slightly different way.

Whats different about these is they are the first 3 piece polymer flight system, comprising body, wing and polycarbonate stem.  I am not sure if having 3 pieces in an advantage in itself but I guess the thing is you can interchange the colours of the wing and body to suit your own style albeit within the range of colour options available which at present is black, white, clear, blue and red.

I think one other advantage is you are more likely to replace just body and wings rather than the stems, unless your very unlucky and need to replace a stem too.  

One other possible advantage is the fact the wings can be removed and stored flat, so unlike other moulded flights they should be easier to store in your case just like a regular poly flight.

I show a close up of the flights been assembled in the video but its very simple, the body inserts into the stem and on the body is a slot/channel which has some very fine notches, the wing has some very small nubs which locate into the notches on the body, you just slide the wing into the body slot and make sure it clicks into the little notches.

Once assembled you have a nice 90 degree angled flight and one that can rotate but is not so loose that it rattles.

The wing itself has a very slight play left and right and this probably helps when having contact with other darts in the board.

The top and bottom edges of the wings of the body and wing are slightly thicker to aid in durability and I think overall the plastic they are made from seems quite tough and durable but surprisingly the long stem setup was almost exactly the same weight as my medium nylon stem and poly standard flight, so should be no difference in affecting the balance of the dart.

I would say the long stem x-flight is closest to being a medium normal stem and the medium X-flight is likely closest to an inbetween with the short x-flight been slightly longer than a normal short but I have posted a pic of the measurements below so you can compare with your own setup.

The design of the flights is very intricate and finely made, I was not sure if such a design would be strong enough to keep the flights in place from impacts, I was expecting the wings to keep coming loose which would get very annoying but they did not, they did when my dart had a heavy impact on the floor, but it just came out of the notch on one side and I very quick push and it was back to a perfect 90 degree angle again.

On the whole I have not had any problems with them so far, they seem quite tough and durable and if you watch my video above you can see how the flights rotate on contact at times.  I would say the rotation is a little more free since using them for a while but its still not loose enough to rattle on its own and still needs a bit of force to rotate.  I will keep you posted if it does get more loose though.

But as with all these moulded flight systems I think a lot is on the users personal opinion on whether its any good for them or not, I cant say if they have improved the way my darts fly, although I have had some nice groupings its very hard to say if they have made any difference, in fact they feel just like a usual set up would be for me which is not a bad thing I guess.  

One thing I have always liked about the moulded flights is their ease of use, these are easy to set up of course but there is others that are very slightly easier in that respect, but there is not much in it as to moan about.  

I think for some people having a system like this that's easier to store could be a winner but I think it would be nice to see them priced a little cheaper.  The full kit is reasonable and comparable with others but if you did not want the black and white or long stems then you have to buy the 3 separate parts which comes to just under £10 but if it lasts well then it may not be so bad, will have to see how long they last though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  May be the price could be cheaper with less packaging?

On the whole I have been happy with them so far, they are a nice looking flight and the clear stems help to set it off and its nice to have some personalisation options, I will just need to try them for longer to see how they fare and if the way they fit together holds up, I am hopeful it will from what I have seen so farGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Everything comes in these packs with a description on the back of what each item is:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Assembling the flights is easy:

Perfect 90 degree angles:

Ready to fly!

Darts set up with normal medium nylons and standard flights and long X-flight stems and flights:

Normal medium nylon and standard flights and long, medium and short X-Flights lengths:

Weight is near identical:

Oh did I mention I hit a 180? LOL Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  (got to milk it, may be last one I hit the whole year! )

Edit:

Some one on Facebook has told me of a problem they noticed with the X-Flight stems, they said the stems did not sit right in their barrels and as I had 3 sets I decided to check them more closely.

Now bear in my I have very bad astigmatism so its not easy for me to spot such things but the long stems I used seem to be fine and the short stems look ok too but 2 of the medium stems were quite off centre when I tried them.

I tried them on a few barrels to make sure and also put them on some lined paper which helped me see it but there is a definite angle to the stem i.e. not straight.

I don't know if this is because my sets are early production sets or what but if any one has got some or ordered them and waiting for them then let me know if yours are ok, its a pity if they are more out there like that as the system seems quite good so far, I hope its just an early production glitch Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Very nice as always! I am still looking for a system that is durable and easy to store, might give this a go. Do let us know if ever you manage to break or damage one!
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

Isn`t the sound darts go in strange?
180-1(33)

Another nice review and interesting set-up Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Very nice review, might order some to try out as I quite like the coloura. Also have a +1 for that evil laugh after your 180 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Fab review, photography and videography as always Darren!

Appealing this system is ... always kept away from mouldies primarily because of bulky storage, and cost (add that you have to factor in very expensive dart cases AND special expensive and bulky flight cases for each and every spare flight set!) and it gets a bit crazy.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Love that these can fit into a normal dart case!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Hoping that Unicorn comes up with different shapes, colours and graphics!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
A great review as always! I think they are a bit pricey though, especially considering how cheap a nylon stem + punched flight combo is.
No harm in trying different stuff ofc, as long as you are enjoying it.
Ignore the "how you are doing it" in favor of "where you are sending it."
(08-07-2016, 05:52 PM)WhiskyPops Wrote: Very nice as always! I am still looking for a system that is durable and easy to store, might give this a go. Do let us know if ever you manage to break or damage one!

Cheers and yes I will Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-07-2016, 05:52 PM)Troll Wrote: Isn`t the sound  darts go in strange?

Don't think so, probably just my camera mic?

(08-07-2016, 06:01 PM)Shanesaw Wrote: Another nice review and interesting set-up Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks Shane Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-07-2016, 06:08 PM)joeriw96 Wrote: Very nice review, might order some to try out as I quite like the coloura. Also have a +1 for that evil laugh after your 180 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks and think of that laugh when I type this: LOL Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-07-2016, 06:19 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Fab review, photography and videography as always Darren!

Appealing this system is ... always kept away from mouldies primarily because of bulky storage, and cost (add that you have to factor in very expensive dart cases AND special expensive and bulky flight cases for each and every spare flight set!) and it gets a bit crazy.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Love that these can fit into a normal dart case!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Hoping that Unicorn comes up with different shapes, colours and graphics!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks Chris, being able to store them flat could be a very nice incentive for some Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-07-2016, 06:51 PM)Balin Wrote: A great review as always! I think they are a bit pricey though, especially considering how cheap a nylon stem + punched flight combo is.
No harm in trying different stuff ofc, as long as you are enjoying it.

Cheers!

Yeah the price of the systems is always a topic for debate and has been for a long time but I think most appreciate the fact they are always more expensive than a bog standard stem and flight but getting the price point right is the crucial thing, I think these would sell a lot better around the £2 - £2.49 mark.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

First off, as always a great top shelf review Darren hitting all the pertinent points. :thumbup:

Second, since I did get on well with the SuperTrue's for a few different barrels I'll be giving these a go as I've already ordered a whack of them.

As mentioned about different shapes, I'd love to see these in Unicorn's Big Wing line-up.  

Third, nice one Darren on hitting the 180 and a few other ton pluses in the mix as well. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Was it the new flight/stem system or the new Tornado points?  Personally I think it was just plain good old fashioned throwing talent from yourself, so keep it going Darren. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks Brad, I am keen to see how they work for others and what others think of them so will be interested to hear your thoughts too.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review as always they held up better then i thought they would and damn ya now i have to get another moulded flight system for my experiment lol
Cheers and enjoy your spending lol

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review - and 180!... And yep - a +1 for the evil laugh alone, after hitting that maximum...!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"He wants two eighteens for a hundred thousand pounds..."

My Darts:  Unicorn John Lowe Golden Titanium 21g / Unicorn Sigma Pro 970 Gold 21g / Target Phil Taylor Gen 3 9Five 22g
Very Good review....nice to see that you let Rocky actually try them out for a change Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. .
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

I` think a set of Blue n White shorts are on for me, look good,  and as you say,  we are all "Nutz" so lets give em a whirl !
Match DartsUnicorn Gary Anderson Phase 4, 25g

"Nil Satis Nisi Optimum"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cuesoul Traj AK8 Flights Review In 4K Ultra HD Getagrip 5 257 10-24-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Robson Plus Flights review Part 2 Getagrip 15 8,501 04-18-2020, 05:08 PM
Last Post: BritpopCam
  Condor Axe Flights Review Improved Version Getagrip 10 782 04-05-2020, 11:54 AM
  L-Style Flights and Shafts Review Getagrip 40 11,917 02-15-2019, 10:27 PM
Last Post: ME27
  Target Ten X Darts Flights Review Getagrip 10 1,458 01-26-2019, 06:12 PM
  Cusoul Rost Integrated Stems and Flights Review Getagrip 12 4,496 09-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Last Post: donnie
  Accurate Dart AFS Product Update Review New Flights and Stems tested Getagrip 2 1,442 08-22-2018, 04:04 PM
  Harrows Clic updated review on new standard stems and improved flights Getagrip 42 16,180 01-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Last Post: GreenDart180
  Robson Plus Flights review Part 1 Getagrip 43 33,716 09-30-2017, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Akats
  Unicorn Raised Oche review Getagrip 15 7,028 03-10-2017, 06:33 PM