Harrows Darts.

Bad at math, need help with 01
Hi darts nutz, new player looking for some advice. I'm a strong cricket player and "thrower" in general, cricket is easy, I know exactly what to throw for before I step to the oche, I know how many points I need if any and how many of each number to close.

So my problem comes with 01 games. I'm a fairly quick rhythm player, when I first start the game I'm fine because it's just triple 20 or 19 if I miss or block the trip 20. I know the strategy behind the game and to look for closing shots and try to set it up. My problem is I'm horrendous at math lol, so if I have an outshot planned in my head and I need say a triple 18, once I miss that triple, either single 18 or miss 18 all together. I'm stuck and have to stop my rhythm which messes me up bad.

So what do I do? Is it just more play time and start to learn the outs as I go, or is there something I can do to help/learn faster. I'm pretty good at my doubles and I can score 60-140 fairly consistently but once I get towards my out shot I slow down and it messes with my head and rhythm. I can get from 301 to 100 faster than closing usually which is frustrating.

My highest outshot is a 132 (25, 57, bull) And a few 100+ outs but that's only because I hit the 3 darts obviously... If I miss the first it slows me down and then it can take another 6 darts lol
Match darts - 22g Customs
Best 501 - 11 Darts
You can get outshot calculator apps maybe you could have a look now and the. Type in different combinations and try to memorise some of the common ones
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Practice playing games like 121 and such. Start at 121 or lower if you like and give yourself a set number of darts to try and finish it (most people use 9 darts, some use 6). If you finish 121 in say 9 darts then you move up to 122 and so on. If you miss the next out, 122 then you go back to 121 and start over. I know a lot of guys that if they finish the out in one throw (3 darts) then thats their cut off point so they can't go any lower than that. Example if I'm throwing at 126 and finish in 3 darts but then I miss 127 in 9 darts I just go back to 126, not 121.

It's a great game to practice outs and counting as of course we all miss our intended target from time to time lol
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(08-05-2016, 06:19 PM)rich345 Wrote: You can get outshot calculator apps maybe you could have a look now and the.  Type in different combinations and try to memorise some of the common ones
I have an app on my tablet that keeps score and gives me a few options of out shots, but again that's when I start shooting, if I miss... Then becomes the problem lol. I guess just practice and memorization 
(08-05-2016, 06:32 PM)Shanesaw Wrote: Practice playing games like 121 and such.  Start at 121 or lower if you like and give yourself a set number of darts to try and finish it (most people use 9 darts, some use 6).  If you finish 121 in say 9 darts then you move up to 122 and so on.  If you miss the next out, 122 then you go back to 121 and start over.  I know a lot of guys that if they finish the out in one throw (3 darts) then thats their cut off point so they can't go any lower than that.  Example if I'm throwing at 126 and finish in 3 darts but then I miss 127 in 9 darts I just go back to 126, not 121.

It's a great game to practice outs and counting as of course we all miss our intended target from time to time lol

That's a good drill. I'm definitely going to try that. Thanks
Best 501 - 11 Darts
Before you step up to the line create 2 separate routes for the finish.

One for If you hit your intended target and a backup route for if you miss your target.  You state you are a pretty steady thrower so more than likely you will hit the single of your intended triple.

For example 90 out -

Intended route - t18 - d18

Backup route - s18 (leaves 72) t16 d12 - or t12 d18 (whatever you like for 72 in 2 darts)

Hope that makes sense.
(08-05-2016, 06:49 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: Before you step up to the line create 2 separate routes for the finish.

One for If you hit your intended target and a backup route for if you miss your target.  You state you are a pretty steady thrower so more than likely you will hit the single of your intended triple.

For example 90 out -

Backup route - s18 (leaves 72) t16 d12 - or t12 d18 (whatever you like for 72 in 2 darts)

Hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, not sure why I haven't been doing that lol. I usually get caught up watching the other guy throw to see his score. Where I should be worried about my out shot and the backup if I miss the triple
Best 501 - 11 Darts
I'm notoriously terrible at maths, I mess up my maths more than gary anderson does haha, I just study outshots and just generally try to improve my maths in my spare time.
Obviously watching a lot of darts helps too but for naturally suspicious mathematicians like us it's probably best to just do as much as you can to improve your general maths and it'll transfer seamlessly over to your darts aswell.
That being said it's easier said than done and I'm still shocking at maths at the moment, but I'm steadily getting there at my own snail pace and im sure you will too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(08-05-2016, 06:56 PM)John_ Wrote: Makes perfect sense, not sure why I haven't been doing that lol. I usually get caught up watching the other guy throw to see his score. Where I should be worried about my out shot and the backup if I miss the triple

Don't even concern yourself with what your opponent throws.   There is absolutely nothing to be gained by thinking about what he/she has left since their darts are out of your control.

Put your effort into what you need and how to go about doing it.   Like already mentioned, if you have something like 97 left and go for the T-19 to leave double tops with 2 darts in hand and you only hit a S-19 and leave 78 with 2 darts in hand.   There's several ways to go for that shot and it's up to you to know how to accomplish that.

It will all become second nature the more you play 01 and drills in the 170 down range will increase your familiarity with the outs needed.
(08-05-2016, 07:14 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(08-05-2016, 06:56 PM)John_ Wrote: Makes perfect sense, not sure why I haven't been doing that lol. I usually get caught up watching the other guy throw to see his score. Where I should be worried about my out shot and the backup if I miss the triple

Don't even concern yourself with what your opponent throws.   There is absolutely nothing to be gained by thinking about what he/she has left since their darts are out of your control.

Put your effort into what you need and how to go about doing it.   Like already mentioned, if you have something like 97 left and go for the T-19 to leave double tops with 2 darts in hand and you only hit a S-19 and leave 78 with 2 darts in hand.   There's several ways to go for that shot and it's up to you to know how to accomplish that.

It will all become second nature the more you play 01 and drills in the 170 down range will increase your familiarity with the outs needed.

Very good advice... Something I know, But obviously don't do and need to focus on... My first time ever playing in a league or at all pretty much. Lots to learn, I'm glad I joined the forum.
Best 501 - 11 Darts
It's going to take some time, I usually practice my cricket because that's what I mostly play for my team. And In the league I'm in, the strongest players are playing cricket so I face them and need to be on my game. I'm doing well, just not enough time to practice my 01 and counting
Best 501 - 11 Darts
Give this series of books a try.

Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

(08-05-2016, 07:24 PM)John_B Wrote: It's going to take some time, I usually practice my cricket because that's what I mostly play for my team. And In the league I'm in, the  strongest players are playing cricket so I face them and need to be on my game. I'm doing well, just not enough time to practice my 01 and counting

One of my favorite 01 practices is to start at 170 and take it out, no matter how many darts it takes.   Believe me, you will miss your main shot often enough that you will have to go many different ways to accomplish this.

I've mentioned this in here a couple times already, but you are new so I'll say it again.    I made wooden tiles similar to Scrabble tiles and numbered them 41-101, which are all 2 dart outs with the exception of 99.   I put them in a can and remove a tile and that is what I have left to take out.  

Let's just say I pull 66.  I would likely go for the T-18 to leave D-6, and if I hit a single 18, then I have 48 left and that would be S-16, D-16 or S-8, D-20.    There's a lot of ways to accomplish the same thing and it all comes down to what doubles you are more partial to.

As for me, like most dart players, it is the D-16 because of the progression if the double is missed and second is the D-20 for the same reasons.
(08-05-2016, 06:56 PM)John_B Wrote:
(08-05-2016, 06:49 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: Before you step up to the line create 2 separate routes for the finish.

For example 90 out -

Hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, not sure why I haven't been doing that lol. I usually get caught up watching the other guy throw to see his score. Where I should be worried about my out shot and the backup if I miss the triple
I think someone else already said, but in 01 it rarely makes a difference what your opponent is doing unlike cricket.  Use that time to set in your mind what you want to accomplish on your next shot.
(08-05-2016, 07:41 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I've mentioned this in here a couple times already, but you are new so I'll say it again.    I made wooden tiles similar to Scrabble tiles and numbered them 41-101, which are all 2 dart outs with the exception of 99.   I put them in a can and remove a tile and that is what I have left to take out.  

Lots of good advice in here already, but I'm definitely going to do this tonight.. Except just cut little pieces of paper and put them in a hat lol. 

Much appreciated everyone.
Best 501 - 11 Darts
I'll second the advice of Lurker1 - work out your finish for the successful first dart and the expected miss i.e. into the single. Lurker1 used 90 in his example, I'll use 75. This finish for me is always T17-D12. When I finish my throw and see I have 75 left I'm already thinking... T17-D12. I then think, "OK 75 minus 17 is...erm...58. 58 is 18 tops". Now when I approach the oche I know what I'm doing.

As for finishing drills I'm going to suggest you start lower. The problem I found with games like 170-in-9-darts is that after the first visit you're generally on the same few numbers. If you're like me you'll have probably hit 60, 100, 45 or 41 so the game really becomes taking out one of those 4 numbers (70,110,125 and 129) in 6 darts. The variety is lacking as you're going for the same outs more than others.

To combat this I planned out the finishes from 61 to 100. I printed them out as a cheat sheet but only consulted it if I couldn't remember the route. I then had 6 darts to take out 61. I noted in a spreadsheet if I did it in 1 visit, 2 visits or not at all. I also noted if I miscounted so that I could pay attention to these numbers next time.

I did this drill of 40 finishes every practice session and after a month or so I had them all down pat. This helps not only when you leave yourself a number in the 61-100 range at the start of a visit but if you enter that range after your first dart. For example if I'm on 110 and I hit T5 first dart I can quickly work out that leaves me 95. From my finishing drills I know what to do with 95 "automatically".

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  math! warhorse11 61 7,329 05-04-2017, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Ed180