Double Top Darts.

Voks Tornado points review

video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8nYtp_gkDw

As with many on here I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the Voks Tornado Smooth points.  I first tried the grip version on the Voks Hamo darts and they are really good but I felt a little difficult to pull out of the board at times.

Finally we got the smooth version a couple of weeks ago and they are top notch!

I used to use Trident cones a lot when they first came out and I could certainly see the advantage of having a smooth transition from point to barrel to help prolong the life of your flights and also help the darts pass over each other more smoothly on close contact shots.

I was quite impressed with the Target Storm points when they first came out although at the time I was reviewing more darts and changing a lot so I only ever re-pointed a couple of sets with those and after hearing of breakages by a few members I was not so fussed on using them any more.

Hopefully these Voks Tornado points should be a whole lot more durable and longer lasting though.  The points are heat treated which helps to toughen the steel and make for a much hardier product.  The heat treatment process does leave the points a strange colour though, a kind of brownish bronze which makes it look a little rough but as I usually prefer standard black points anyway its no big deal for me and I kind of like the uniqueness of it.

As Milkysunshine has proven though you can sand it off to reveal the shiny point underneath but I don't know if that has any effect on its strength?  Also when Milky first got the grip points he put one in a vice and hit it with a hammer which just resulted in it bending but not breaking so I think its safe to say these points are strong!

The points are available to buy in the forum shop and are $13.50 delivered which is around about £10.30 at the current rate and if your an active forum member you can get 20% discount. https://www.dartsnutz.net/shop/smooth-to...n-members/

It may seem a lot for a set of points but I think its worth it if they last as well as they seemingly well and if they help to prolong the life of your flights then I guess they will save you money in the long run Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The points that are available at present are 27.94mm from point tip to the barrels nose with a press in section of 6.35mm.  I think that makes them around about the norm for most people, suits me anyway Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

They weigh 1.1g and again that's very similar to a standard point so the weight wont affect the balance of the dart.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I have used the points for a little over a week now and been very pleased with them, I much prefer the smooth version to the grip ones, but if you have issues with your darts falling out of the board then that will certainly be cured with the grip points.

I think the points are leaving smaller holes in my HD2 when I pull the darts out too, which is good if it helps with the wear of the board.

I find they stick in perfectly well but are not too hard to pull out, they come out the board nice and smooth.

I fitted the points into my Gold Gary Andersons and as you can see the Andersons have a bull nose which is quite wide so although the points don't make a totally seamless transition on those darts its nevertheless improved it a lot.

But my main issue with the points is that I found a few barrels where they did not fit so well, some barrels like my Red Dragon Rebels they went in with a snug fit but the press in section was longer than the barrels hole so I could not seat it flush.  This is no fault of the points as such but just the fact that all makers don't have the same standard of holes for their points.  I think MC1958 had a similar issue with one of his sets and he just filed the end off the press in section.

Another set I tried the points press in section diameter was too small for the barrel so would not fit.  The darts had previously had some coated points in so not sure if the hole was made bigger due to that.

Likewise the Gary Anderson gold darts the previous points were a gold coated point and the Voks Tornado points went into these darts quite easily with just a little tightness on the final mm or so.  But when I first tried them one of the points was a little too loose so I sorted that with a very small dab of superglue.

But if all the makers tend to have their own standards for points and holes etc its not so good for us when we want to swap points and its a common problem that's not unique to these Voks Tornado points, it just makes it a bit of a fiddle about sometimes.

I have found a few sets where they sat in perfectly but either way once they are in I am likely to leave them there and I am more than happy with how they are performing so far, so a little hassle is worth it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I'll be all over them once the longer ones come out

Another good little review Darren.

Seeing this thread a little earlier reminded me I hadn't tried the new smooth Tornados in any sets yet - the first couple of sets they were too loose (I think because the existing Storm points had widened the hole) but they went in the DartsNutz Talismans no problem - just took a quick pic

The look nice Darren, did you use glue-loctite in the Andersons ?

In what I listed in more treads about the Press section, so much barrels have no 6.35mm deep hole to press points in only +- 4.5mm.
I'm not A fan to cut down the org points to fit in my ( snakebites ) or other barrels who have no deep hole in the barrels.
may all the doubles be with you

Great review as always Darren. :thumbup:  

Looks like I'll need to try some now. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Brad
How does the press in section's length and diameter on these compare to the press in section on target storms? Thinking of repointing if they will fit...
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.

I own both tornado types. Better than storms.
They dont break, they bend and yoy can put straight again easy.They grip very well on sisal.
Valencia/Spain

(08-04-2016, 07:34 PM)Jugger Wrote: I'll be all over them once the longer ones come out

(08-04-2016, 07:36 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Another good little review Darren.

Seeing this thread a little earlier reminded me I hadn't tried the new smooth Tornados in any sets yet - the first couple of sets they were too loose (I think because the existing Storm points had widened the hole) but they went in the DartsNutz Talismans no problem - just took a quick pic

[Image: https://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h40...nvpm2a.jpg]

They look great in those, I might add some to my set too, I did have an idea for a Talisman 2 dart but not sure I will ever get round to it, the first ones I was able to order 50 sets but now minimum order is 100 which is a bit steep at present.

(08-04-2016, 08:02 PM)Fred-180 Wrote: The look nice Darren, did you use glue-loctite in the Andersons ?

In what I listed in more treads about the Press section, so much barrels have no 6.35mm deep hole to press points in only +- 4.5mm.
I'm not A fan to cut down the org points to fit in my ( snakebites ) or other barrels who have no deep hole in the barrels.

Not sure but I think it was Loctite, I could not get the top off so stuck a hole in the tube and after I used it I threw it away lol

If I was able to drill a deeper hole I think that would be better, but I would not risk that either, not with my shoddy diy skills Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-04-2016, 08:17 PM)Great White North Wrote: Great review as always Darren. :thumbup:  

Looks like I'll need to try some now. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Brad

Thanks Brad Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-04-2016, 08:18 PM)Beacon_Darts Wrote: How does the press in section's length and diameter on these compare to the press in section on target storms?   Thinking of repointing if they will fit...

Not sure as I don't have any to compare but I think its slightly thinner and longer on the Tornado points

(08-04-2016, 09:16 PM)Pac Wrote: I own both tornado types. Better than storms.
They dont break, they bend and yoy can put straight again easy.They grip very well on sisal.

Yeah I think they should be very good.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I need to get a set of these, I was waiting for the smooth but now they are out im waiting on the funds lol

I really love the rustic look!

(08-04-2016, 07:36 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Another good little review Darren.

[Image: https://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h40...nvpm2a.jpg]

Great photo! Pic of the day that!
Great review and they look good. I like the colour that the heat treatment gives them
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Yeah I don't mind the colour either Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review on what to think about before putting in the Voks Tornado Smooth points.  I wish I knew that much information before trying the Storm points.

Beacon_Darts the Storm points have a bigger diameter from what I have had as results of replacing points.  No other points fit tight after removing Storms, I have taken these new Voks Tornado Smooth points and put them into my darts by hand so another reason for me not to use Storms plus the breakage problems I have had it with Storms. Good luck if replacing Storm points.

Getagrip did write “some barrels like my Red Dragon Rebels they (Voks Tornado Smooth points) went in with a snug fit but the press in section was longer than the barrels hole so I could not seat it flush.”

What I would like to know is an opinion on which is the best way to deal with that problem. Sanding the points so they fit snug or leave the gap?

I have darts that also do not have a hole deep enough to fit that part of the point in and with one of the Volks points I started sanding off the end part to get it to the length that I think would make them fit without a gap.  In doing this I noticed I had sanded off the end part that had the bevel on it so it would slide right into the hole now I will have to be very careful when installing them or try and make a new bevel on the end which could be tricky.  Also does this sanding make the point weaker?

Leaving the gap between point and front of dart was one of the problems that caused Storm points to break from what I have read on this forum, not the only reason but still a problem.

Hopefully these Voks Tornado Smooth points won’t break (only bend) but on bounce outs is that a big possible problem with a gap?  Will the gap catch flights to cause redirection of dart before hitting the board; possibly just a flight killer or no effect at all.

Sorry to ask questions on Getagrips review but his great review work just makes me think more.  If not in right place just move it to a new thread.
If I was able to drill a deeper hole I think I would prefer to do it that way but otherwise I think it would need to be filed down to fit, no other option if you want it flush with the nose really.

May be Voks can answer if it would weaken it or not?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Are there any points that destroy your board faster than a set of standard ones? I can imagine these will leave bigger holes, and some of the grip points rip the board when being pulled out.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

I think the smooth ones are leaving smaller holes, did you read my review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Volute points mini review Chappers 29 3,095 11-07-2020, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Bloodycut
  Harrows Apex Points Review Getagrip 31 2,336 04-07-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: FSlater
  Cosmo Fit Point Metal Steel Tip Coversion Points Review Getagrip 8 1,390 12-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Accurate Dart Ultra Magnum Steel Tip Conversion Points Review Getagrip 13 1,634 10-30-2018, 07:04 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Voks Tungsten Pen Review Getagrip 16 6,566 02-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Target Titanium Pro Conversion Points Review Getagrip 18 7,275 10-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Last Post: kungfuron