Target Darts.

Poll: Would you be interested in these
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
69.70%
23 69.70%
No!
30.30%
10 30.30%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Unicorn Sigma Ultracore review
UNICORN SIGMA ULTRACORE REVIEW PT1
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hey guys, yesterday these beauties arrived in the mail and as these are a quite special dart I thought I’d do a review about them. These are the first and only Ultracore darts in the Sigma range as of yet, they retail for around 60 pound.

First impressions:
Fairly standard packaging, nothing fancy just clean looking. Usually like clean packaging like this but the only thing bothering me is why the hell they put a different dart on the front? I get that they have one package for every sigma dart but these being the most expensive darts in the Unicorn range why not make an individual one for each?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Close-up of the ultracore text

What’s inside:
Comes with the base darts ofcourse, 3 sigma one flights, 3 sigma zero degree shafts, 3 soft tip points, 3 sigma LP nose cones, 9 tungsten inserts and 9 polymer inserts.
The new icon case. I really like this new case, won’t ever use it to carry my darts but it just looks so good on display.
And the rest of the accessories
A look of the inside of the case.
Instructions of all the setups possible. + the weight guarantee.

Unicorn masters of quality control…..
I heard people complain about Unicorns quality control and it seems I can join them now.
On first look these darts look absolutely stunning. Really like the look of these and thought they were very well made until I inspected them under some better lighting.
Blue paint literally everywhere, on the rings even all the way at the front and the back of the darts I spotted some blue paint. Also in some spots there are smudges in the paint that make you see the tungsten beneath.  I can show even more pics but it’s just as worse on all 3 of them. This is only one dart.
(don’t mind my super high quality lens lol)
Kinda disappointed about this really, Unicorn advertises their Sigma range as their highest quality products and even on some of the cheapest darts I never seen a paint job like this. Personally it doesn’t bother me that much but I can see that when other people pay 60 pounds for these the least you would expect is a proper paint job. The excessive paint might scratch off but I'm not sure if I would damage the barrel if I did that, The smudges though are unfixable unless you can find the exact same paint they used.

Soft/steel?
Both threads on these are 2ba so I expect all conversion points and soft tip points to fit. Unfortunately I don’t have my soft tip board setup right now so I couldn’t have a throw with the soft tip setup.
Don’t really understand why Unicorn opted to give the aggressive LP styled points with all their new Ultracore darts because their other ones look way better in my opinion and they have more of a hybrid grip suitable for for more people.
Here’s a pic with the supplied points, target TI conversion ones and the other Unicorn sigma cones I prefer. The Target TI seem to leave a gap but this might be because of the o-ring.
And one with the supplied soft tip points

Dimensions and weight:
Now I don’t expect my scale to be a 100% accurate but this gives you an idea at least.
Just the base of the darts, one is slightly heavier the other 2 are close maybe even the same as my scale seems to not be able to make up its mind.
The supplied points
The inserts, all of them are within 0.03g from what I could tell.
Supplied stems+flights
I’m gonna weigh the soft tip setups as total weight and the steel tip setup as point+barrel(+insert when applied)
Lightest steel setup possible (no inserts)
Heaviest steel setup possible (all tungsten inserts)
Lightest soft tip setup possible (no inserts)
Heaviest soft tip setup possible (all tungsten inserts)
And you can calculate the rest yourself lol
Here is a summary of the dimensions, I used a non-digital caliper so these are also not 100% accurate as it is very difficult to properly get the decimals but they give you a good idea how big these are. Consider that with the supplied points you could say the barrel gets extended to 50mm.

Part two in next post due to image limitations!
UNICORN SIGMA ULTRACORE REVIEW PT2
A closer look at the inserts:
Well the main reason to buy this dart for most people are the inserts. They are very easy to setup and quickly exchanged but remember they are very small and easily lost, I had them fall out about everytime I switched points or stems. I weighed all the inserts and none of them were more than 0.03g apart (both the poly and tungsten ones) Each dart comes with a little o-ring placed between the last insert and the shaft. I did notice a slight rattle when the o-ring is removed so you wanna keep that in.
The only problem is that they fall out quite easily when exchanging something (especially the o-rings), can imagine this would be a pain if you have to switch out stems on a league night. If you play with all 3 tungsten inserts and lose one you are forced to buy a new pack. I think Unicorn should have supplied 3 extra of each type and some more o-rings.
Here is the balance of the full setup with all the different insert combinations as shown beneath the dart.

How they work for me:
Only threw these for about 20 minutes (wanted to be fast with the review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.) but so far I really like how these fly, for now I’m using the max weight with all tungsten inserts as that seems to work best for me. Grip is not too aggressive but still plenty there. Was very interesting to test the different balances though, definitely noticed some big differences. They group well because of the tapered shape. I’ll give an update when I have spent some more time with these.
Was in a hurry when taking pics of how they land in the board so don’t have that many, of course I managed to screw up a 180 when the first 2 landed so nicely….
How I grip them

Conclusion:
The Sigma Ultracores are one of the most versatile darts out there. I can definitely recommend these even if the paint job was a bit disappointing. Even if you don’t like the grip/dimensions on these they have plenty choice now with some added player darts in the Ultracore range.
Design: 8/10 very nice shape, streamlined looking and nice coulours.
Quality: 4/10 Paint job MUST be better than that, no extra points as they are not perfectly weighed*
Grip: 6.5/10
Overall: 7/10 Really like the concept of the Ultracore range and it actually seems to work pretty well too. So many different setups to choose from, I think I could spend a year testing everything out and still not know what’s best for me Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
You don’t know what you want exactly? Get a set of these! Both for soft-tippers and steel tippers!
*Perfectly weighed gets half an extra point, more than 0.1 difference gets half a point deducted

I hope my review was helpful to you and in case I forgot something please let me know I can always add some stuff.
Fantastic review Joeri! Loads of details, and your opinions were valuable to those considering these darts. Definitely a  +1!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Great review mate, loads of detail it's almost like reading one of grips reviews!
If you keep this up then one day you and grip are gonna have to have a review'off to see who's boss Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. haha
+1
Always curious about ultracores.
Masive job done mate!
I feel like they are kind of a gimmick

+1 for you
Valencia/Spain

A thorough assessment . Well done .

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
(07-27-2016, 07:34 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Fantastic review Joeri! Loads of details, and your opinions were valuable to those considering these darts. Definitely a  +1!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(07-27-2016, 07:40 PM)Walker Wrote: Great review mate, loads of detail it's almost like reading one of grips reviews!
If you keep this up then one day you and grip are gonna have to have a review'off to see who's boss Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. haha
+1

(07-27-2016, 08:16 PM)Pac Wrote: Always curious about ultracores.
Masive job done mate!
I feel like they are kind of a gimmick

+1 for you

(07-27-2016, 08:22 PM)The G Wrote: A thorough assessment . Well done .

Thanks guys, really appreciate it! And Grip better watch his back Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thank you for the great review, and i hope the people at Unicorn read similar feedback and realize, the issue with the quality control, cannot continue to exist in it's current form
Thanks for an excellent review. Ultracore's are not something I'd buy as I'm fairly settled in what I use, but an interesting read nonetheless. +1
A great in-depth review with tons of information. Very nice read Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Thanks for a great review. I'm thinking I might have to try these now. Reading your comment at the start of the review that these are the first Sigma Ultracore released yet. Are there more Sigma's coming? +1.
(07-27-2016, 09:38 PM)Gada Wrote: Thank you for the great review, and i hope the people at Unicorn read similar feedback and realize, the issue with the quality control, cannot continue to exist in it's current form

(07-28-2016, 10:23 AM)4737 Carlin Wrote: Thanks for an excellent review. Ultracore's are not something I'd buy as I'm fairly settled in what I use, but an interesting read nonetheless. +1

(07-28-2016, 10:45 AM)ElusiveDouble85 Wrote: A great in-depth review with tons of information. Very nice read Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks all Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(07-28-2016, 12:15 PM)Humdinger Wrote: Thanks for a great review. I'm thinking I might have to try these now. Reading your comment at the start of the review that these are the first Sigma Ultracore released yet. Are there more Sigma's coming? +1.

Thanks! Have no idea, don't see one coming this year though perhaps in their 2018 range?
Thank you for the review. Very informative and well written, nice pictures. Great job.

Nice idea from unicorn, just nothing that really gets me.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Great review Joe! I have a set waiting to be reviewed too, although I reviewed the first Ultracores and can see how the idea can work for some I found the barrels too long, but I think the dart becomes very versatile and its kind of fun to play with the cores in different ways to see how it affects the darts.

I actually like the new nose cones as I think they fit better and also good for front grip but the design looks a little different to the rest of the barrel which spoils the overall look a little.

The paint should be better applied though although I think the measurements are good, its only 4 100ths of a gram difference and for a barrel that has been completely hollowed out and had paint applied which is a recipe for creating lots of mis matching to be that close is very good, I think I have given people a false perception of what really matters in weight matching and some of that is due to the brands that have been perfectly matched but they are much much smaller manufacturers and can afford to spend a little extra time in matching them, but I also think your right in saying the sets where the prices are more of a premium should have better matching too but if we only measured in tenths and not hundredths they would all be a perfect match Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think if we go by what the standard has been for years which is + or - 0.1g then that's still the best way, obviously no reason why we cant have them all perfect other than it would likely mean a higher price tag as they spend more time matching and doing extra machining if needed but if it was not for people like me who started all this weighing would we care?

+1 mate, very good review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(07-28-2016, 01:36 PM)vanJupp Wrote: Thank you for the review. Very informative and well written, nice pictures. Great job.

Nice idea from unicorn, just nothing that really gets me.

Thank you, you're welcome!
(07-28-2016, 03:31 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Great review Joe! I have a set waiting to be reviewed too, although I reviewed the first Ultracores and can see how the idea can work for some I found the barrels too long, but I think the dart becomes very versatile and its kind of fun to play with the cores in different ways to see how it affects the darts.

I actually like the new nose cones as I think they fit better and also good for front grip but the design looks a little different to the rest of the barrel which spoils the overall look a little.

The paint should be better applied though although I think the measurements are good, its only 4 100ths of a gram difference and for a barrel that has been completely hollowed out and had paint applied which is a recipe for creating lots of mis matching to be that close is very good, I think I have given people a false perception of what really matters in weight matching and some of that is due to the brands that have been perfectly matched but they are much much smaller manufacturers and can afford to spend a little extra time in matching them, but I also think your right in saying the sets where the prices are more of a premium should have better matching too but if we only measured in tenths and not hundredths they would all be a perfect match Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think if we go by what the standard has been for years which is + or - 0.1g then that's still the best way, obviously no reason why we cant have them all perfect other than it would likely mean a higher price tag as they spend more time matching and doing extra machining if needed but if it was not for people like me who started all this weighing would we care?

+1 mate, very good review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks for the feedback Grip! Yeah I know that 0.05 max difference is pretty decent actually but I mainly gave the quality rating for the paint job, should've worded it differently. In my mind a perfect weighed set gets half an extra point and a set with more than 0.1 difference gets half a point deducted. Next time I'll mention that Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 613 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 300 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review Getagrip 40 26,266 05-14-2020, 03:14 AM
Last Post: Bart
  Unicorn T90 23 grams review. Phil D 6 647 03-28-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn - Seigo Asada - 23g - Review vanJupp 20 4,148 01-06-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: dartsking5566
  Unicorn T95 Core XL 24g darts review Getagrip 18 3,772 11-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Dani Wüthrich
  Unicorn Ultracore One darts review Getagrip 50 28,637 11-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Bloodycut
  Unicorn Sigma Super Pro Carbon 21g Darts Review Getagrip 14 14,871 05-25-2018, 02:01 AM
Last Post: philliesricky
  Unicorn Sigma Ultracore darts review Getagrip 19 9,218 03-15-2018, 11:09 AM
Last Post: sandorpeter
  Unicorn Yuan Jan Liu 21g darts review Getagrip 8 4,572 10-16-2017, 02:06 PM