Target Darts.

Focus on the dart
Just throwing this out there for beginners as food for thought.

I've struggled with a bit of left to right scatter (26 can be my favorite score!) and focused a great deal to get my arm movement and release smooth (I have posted several times about this).  I still had issues with a clean release and occasionally jerked a bit.  Things would go really well (tons, ton forty's, first or second dart double outs, etc.), but my consistency still suffered and my next dart at treble 20 would end up in the five/one or, occasionally, the twelve.  Then, a couple of days ago I had an "A-HA!" moment.

I thought about my time playing baseball and football (American).  I never thought about my arm movement when I threw (and I played quarterback and pitched).  The focus was on the ball and getting it down range.

My latest revelation is very basic, but may be helpful for beginners.  Focus on the dart.  OK, simple right?  Not so much if you get wrapped around the axle on arm movement.  Also, the darts we throw have almost no perceptible weight, at least compared to a baseball or football.  I found I was far too worried about my arm and ending with a classic palm down fully extended finish.  This resulted in a strange left to right arm movement and not releasing my wrist consistently.  When I focused on the dart and actually throwing it with my hand/wrist, I am finding that my arm movement just naturally follows. 

Now I am getting much closer to the classic finish point and, best of all, it seems to be coming more naturally rather than as an end goal.

Of course, this does not mean that you should ignore the basics of proper set up when addressing the board.  But, at least for me, worrying less about arm movement/finish and more about the wrist and the dart has done wonders for my game.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Sounds like a good tip. I will try this out later Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts: Taylor 8zero Black Ti 24g, Chizzy Gold 24g, Barney Phase 5 23g, Paul Nicholson 24g, and so on...
Highout: 125 (T20-T15-D10)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
i have made so many correlations betweens American football and/or baseball and darts that i should probably write up a dissertation on it.

for the purposes of your post, however i will say that while trying to figure out a particular problem with your throw, its ALMOST ALWAYS something very, very simple that just needs to be adjusted. more often than not its nothing more than a concentration issue. almost every single new-ish player or player that isn't really all that great no matter how long they've been playing all have the same issue. that issue is that when they throw the dart, they really have no idea where it is going to go. they basically go through a routine that they have taught themselves and when they let it go, its really anyones guess as to where it will land. sure theres plenty of reasons why this is occurring and its probably more like half a dozen things that need to be corrected in their mechanics, but more often than not ive been able to cure a lot of beginners spraying issues just by having them look at the angle of their arm and where the dart is pointed from the beginning of the throw until the dart hits the board.

a lot of people are simply amazed when i point out the angle of their elbow and where the dart is pointed when they release it and how its a series of small miracles that they are even able to get close to their target most of the time. this seems like a pretty simple thing to self-diagnose its so hard to watch the target, the dart, your arm, etc all at once.

what i try to do is focus on one thing at a time. i will throw a round of A1 or round the clock focusing on keeping my arm straight or elbow still, then do it again focusing on wrist movement. i usually do this while im warming up before i start my practice session. if you break the throw down into small things its easier for most people to concentrate on one thing before moving on to something else. a lot of people aren't going to do it this way because it doesn't produce instant results. there is a huge difference however in learning to play well, and learning how to hit particular numbers.

anyway, good post and good advice. if you focus too much on one thing you will invariably neglect some other issues that should be addressed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mental focus dartz152 7 1,138 11-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Predator79