Target Darts.

Elbow pain/injury - has anyone recovered?
Hi all. I have been playing darts for a about a year. I was slowly improving playing through flight school drills for 60-90 mins per day however a pain started to develop in my throwing elbow. A kind of dull pain that is hard to pinpoint. The problem is that it has stopped me playing. I've not thrown for around a month, thrown the last couple of evenings and the pain has come straight back.

Has anyone experienced/got over this type of issue? If so how?
I had a pain in my shoulder/upper arm when I first started playing (I was playing very long sessions without a break back then). I was happy if I hit a treble 20 a day at that time and I finally figured out I was left eye dominant the same time having these pains. Now something you don't wanna hear: My throw changed completely and put way less strain on my shoulder, eventually the pain went away. Now I've tried to throw the old way sometimes and immediately started to feel that pain again.....
It probably is something else entirely in my case so I hope I didn't scare you too much lol.

I'm no expert but I guess resting still is the best thing to do here. Not sure how it works insurance wise for you but it might be worth it contacting a physio therapist or doctor.
I'm no Ortho, but I've had several joint injuries over the years and one of them was in my throwing arm elbow.   It wound up being tendinitis and, unfortunately, it got so bad I needed surgery to re-attach some ligaments in the elbow.     After the surgery and a bit of Physical Therapy, it was good as gold.

My symptoms were an almost constant dull ache, but if throwing, it would increase gradually and sometimes hit me with a very sharp pain that would come at times I wasn't expecting it.    That made it hard to throw darts with the prospect of a sharp pain coming unexpectedly and it really affected my game.

My advice is let an Orthopedic Dr. take a look at it to see what is going on.
lots of knackered players on here, a few that have had some surgery too, its so annoying with injuries and darts throwing is ripe for R.S.I. type problems.

I find once something has been aggravated then its always going to get the same reaction when you repeat that same movement again. Sad but true.

I think rest is the first priority, some problems take a very long time to heal though and its really best to seek professional advice on how best to rehabilitate it, they may give you specific exercises to help with that but once you come back to throwing darts again you will need to take it easy and very steady, even if it is just a few minutes a day, you will find the point at which you can play to before it start to cause pain again. But if it causes pain immediately then its likely a more serious injury to the tendons or joint etc.

I know you have already rested a month but when I had issues with my wrist (and still do) I rested over 3 months but when I started again I made the mistake of playing 2 hours plus like I had been doing before and the pain came straight back. I rested it for longer and then I slowly started and found around 15 to 20 mins was all I could manage for a while.

But I think the main cause for me was my action and my iffy joints, so I have had to change my action and gone through a lot of trail and error over the last few years to finally find something that allows me to at least get in close to 1 hours worth of practice. I still get wrist aches which goes down my forearm and can be very painful, but now I usually can recognise when I have gone past my limit and if I think I am in danger of really aggravating it I stop throwing for a few days to let it rest.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Go to an orthopedic surgeon, and go with what happens from there. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  It sounds like it's been for a few months, and will not go away I'm afraid.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hi Gavin,

There is a cream that I apply to ease muscle and joint pain which I swear by as do several darters at my club too. Its called Dr Wheatgrass 'SuperBalm'  Antioxidant-Rich Multi Purpose Soother. Its not cheap at $43 Aud /160ml tube but it works Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ...I don't know or care how but it definitely does the job. You only apply a small amount...it doesn't burn or freeze ....has no real strong smell but it works. I've had a very bad back and elbow-shoulder-forearm-neck ....you name it I've had it but this is the only stuff that works for me and has allowed me to keep playing...worth a go try and find some.

Best of luck

Dorian
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Thanks for all the advice, it's frustrating as i can lift weights/swim without issue. I need to find a physio/doctor that will not just say 'stop playing darts'.
Hopefully you get it sorted mate I occasionally get a bit of elbow pain myself, when I do I just lay off the darts til it feels better. My biggest problem is getting neck ache from having my head constantly turned towards the board when throwing
I found mine was fairly severe tendonitis (tennis elbow). I couple rounds of steroids into elbow did basically nothing after a few days. Stopped playing for a few weeks did the trick.
My problem was arthritis, calcium deposits, and bone fragments from multiple fractions resulting from 40 years of skateboarding. A surgeon did a grand job of cleaning it out. It was pretty extensive as a tendon had to be detached and reattached to get all the junk out. I spent a few months futiley trying to learn to throw left handed. It was all well worth it. My arm is like new. I can throw 12 hours straight if I want to. I used to get bruising on the edge of my foot from leaning over the oche. I solved that problem by changing my stance from the side to a straight on forward one. I know most players don't stand like that, but I killed two birds with one stone since my throw also improved with the change. Before my elbow surgery, I found some benefit from wearing a compression sleeve while playing. You might try that of or change up your throwing technique.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

An obvious darters nightmare, elbow injury.  I took 2 years out because of one, not for the same symptoms as you skinnygav, it were more of a sharp pain if I remember right.  It would stop my follow through because it was at the very stretch that I'd feel pain and I'd miss doubles too many times.  Lots of rest did cure my problem though, do you know what is causing yours?  A bad throwing technique could do it and the slightest adjustment can eleviate it.  Good luck with whatever you do to fix it.
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
People like MVG must be lucky to go for so long and play as much as they do without problems, but who knows he still may end up with an issue the way his hand flops about after release?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

i have a similar problem too. A motorbike fall 14 years ago gave me something too remember in my right elbow.
I didn't have any issues till january. i was stresses abou some league matches and i started to throw my darts very tense.
This lead to a sharp pain in the elbow. I struggled with this for long. the more i tried the bigger the pain. The bigger the pain - the worse the darts. The worse the darts - more tense and bigger pain. and so on.
I bought a compression sleeve and try to release my darts smoother. But after a while the warm produced from the sleeve make me fell a different pain. The pain started to go down to the forearm and a numbness appeared to the fingers.
I tried to stop playing for a week but i didn't get better.
I asked a friend who is a physiotherapist and told me this:
If the problem is in the tendon you need cold and not warm. So i started use an anti-inflammatory cream and put some ice after my practices and games. I saw Some improvment compined with less playing and rest (before my problem i used too play for 3-4 hours every day and somedays 8 hours)
After the ice and the cream it feels better but not the same. The key was the end of the league period, now i'm more relaxed and i can try different things to feel more comfortable. There is some days with no pain and i really enjoy playing. But when the pain appears it take some days to go off.
I'm planning to see a doctor and maybe accupuncture.
The basic is to visit an expert.
Good luck mate

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arm Injury The Fox 13 339 02-22-2021, 08:04 PM
Last Post: The Fox
  Darts related injury Roadto180 2 162 02-20-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Roadto180
  Elbow help! JamesS97180 3 276 04-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  Pain in knee Mumbles11 2 248 03-21-2020, 11:23 AM
Last Post: southpaw_8585
  Muscle pain codo180 4 490 01-23-2020, 04:09 AM
Last Post: Gooddark
  Is my elbow ok? Troll 4 451 09-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  Darts ending injury? I'm freaking out! The Jester 14 1,268 09-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Last Post: PREACHERMAN
  elbow bdebbane 3 496 05-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Last Post: bdebbane
  Injury recovery Jay Guildea 6 408 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  elbow up? Spike Adams 6 1,038 07-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Devil 10