Darts Buddy

Shot Gear Tomahawk FL 17g darts review first dart with stabilizing fins!

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHlMR3LXCAQ

Yep you read the title right it has stabilizing fins on the front of the barrel!

Just a gimmick or does it actually work? Lets find out! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

First here is a little quote from the makers:

"Design influenced by the Gulf War's unsung hero the Tomahawk missile, the barrel houses front flights that increases the utility and act as stabilizing fin allowing powerful rotational force. Characterized by straightness in flying, this barrel is for you if you are the type that requires accuracy."

Shot Gear is a fairly new company from Korea where the darts are also made and if you remember I reviewed their very first barrel which was named in honour of their design team the Dart Vader Slit N0 5 which like this dart had a very unique design.

There is 2 versions of this design the FL and FS which is a reference to the Fin size, one is Large and the other Small Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The darts are 90% tungsten and come as barrels only and retail for $115 which at the time of this review is approx. £88 it was £78 when I did the first part of the video review before we upset the EU lol.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a very neat hard cardboard box with magnetised lid to keep it secure. Inside there is a neat little card displaying the barrel design and details and the barrels are neatly packed in dense foam. Its all very neat and sophisticated Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

Its a great looking barrel design and as you can see it has a variety of grip types. You can even grip the fins if you wish and it is grippy there but I think the grippiest part is probably the rear section but overall I would say its just about high level grip.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Dimensions in detail:

WEIGHT:

Two barrels are an exact match and the third was just one hundredth of a gram difference, so excellent!

Weight with a typical soft tip and medium nylon stem and standard flight set up:

BALANCE:

With a soft tip point attached the balance was towards the front:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights, not sure what tips they are but they came with the Hi Darts board, so maybe its their brand of tips?

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I found gripping just behind the fins to be a suitable and comfy grip for me:

CONCLUSION:

Well I was expecting to get a lot of spin from these because of the fins and with me gripping the fins on my first few throws but it was very surprising to see the darts flying so well and no spin that I could detect!

I think it actually threw well from gripping the fins but I guess it depends how you grip sits on it, if your mostly between the 2 fins then its fine, but if you grab the edges it will roll in your fingers and be a little off putting. So if you make sure to set your grip right before throwing in that position you should have no problems.

But! If you grip just behind the fins like I did as in the pic above it feels a whole lot better and not only do you have the fins to push against but there is also some grip from the shark like gills cut into the barrel. As well as that the barrel slopes a little there so it feels comfy to hold, at last a nice soft tip dart for fronties YAY!!!!

I felt I got a little extra speed through the air when trying the just behind the fins grip position but I think when I tried it at the middle grip it was possibly the most balanced position and did seem the smoothest through the air and again it flew surprising well for me even though it is not my natural grip.

So I was once again expecting the rear to be the worse for me but once again the darts surprised me and flew relatively well. On my first throw I noticed the dart kick to the left at the rear but it quickly straightened up and was more accurate than I was expecting. After a couple of throws I was throwing quite well from the rear so I think this dart is likely going to suit any grip style.

As its only a short barrel too I did not feel too awkward with the middle grip, rear felt slightly strange for me but it always does Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Now whether the fins were actually having some affect on the performance of the darts I honestly don't know, it possible but its also just as likely that the design as a whole with the balance etc is making it such a nice dart to throw so its a curious one really.

I am very happy with these though, they have impressed me a lot, the design and quality is first rate but for them to work so well with a variety of grips for me is quite rare lol!

Its a pity they are not a bit cheaper though and would love to see a steel tip 23g version too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary:

Looks: 9 (Look cool!)
Grip: 8 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 9.5 (2 exact)
Quality: 9 (very nice)
Value: 6.5 (not cheap and now even more pricey due to weaker £ Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. but great darts)
Suitability for me: 8 (really enjoyed throwing these and they seem to work very well so far)

Best Feature: Flight, no looks, no versatility, awww I cant decide!!!! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Look like a very interesting Dart. I wonder if we will see more darts like this in the future. Even if the fins weren't working they could help some players psychologically.
good looking
6.3 dia plus 1 mm on each side could be tough to get good grouping Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
great review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
you count 180's
i'm counting money
     :usa:

Look really cool.
Looks to me like the fins might cause some nasty deflections but without trying em myself who knows lol, might be lucky enough to try some one day Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My Comment is on the dart . Not on Darren's  well done review. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
:noway:

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
I'd throw them,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
wtf!!!!! if it really works its one of the most innovative things i saw the last two years i'm playing.

Also really nice review as always, Pied Piper Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
inb4 someone says the fins are a gimmick

Lovely review though Darren, +1 from me Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Cheers guys! The guys at Shot Gear are a very talented lot and I just seen details of a prototype dart they hope to bring out later this year, its incredible! Sorry but I cant give any info on it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(07-06-2016, 09:43 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Cheers guys!  The guys at Shot Gear are a very talented lot and I just seen details of a prototype dart they hope to bring out later this year, its incredible!  Sorry but I cant give any info on it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Very Intersesting design Ida! Awesome review and pics bud!
Thanks John! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Wow what an incredible looking dart. Great design and craft. I don't really care if the fins do nothing, to me that design is just lovely. Now you have me intrigued for what they have in the pipeline too! Top job Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

(07-06-2016, 02:02 PM)ElusiveDouble85 Wrote: Wow what an incredible looking dart. Great design and craft. I don't really care if the fins do nothing, to me that design is just lovely. Now you have me intrigued for what they have in the pipeline too! Top job Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Yeah I think it looks great, not sure if you remember but I mentioned before that the guys at Shot Gear are mix of high level professionals from all kinds of engineering backgrounds including aerospace engineering and what they have coming next is so incredibly well designed my mind boggles that people are able to think of such things Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(07-06-2016, 02:06 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(07-06-2016, 02:02 PM)ElusiveDouble85 Wrote: Wow what an incredible looking dart. Great design and craft. I don't really care if the fins do nothing, to me that design is just lovely. Now you have me intrigued for what they have in the pipeline too! Top job Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Yeah I think it looks great, not sure if you remember but I mentioned before that the guys at Shot Gear are mix of high level professionals from all kinds of engineering backgrounds including aerospace engineering and what they have coming next is so incredibly well designed my mind boggles that people are able to think of such things Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

STOP IT YOU TEASE!!!!!!!!!!!! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
It's hard enough to wait at times without you saying things like this!! I won't even try to guess at what it is as I don't have the kind of design forte that these guys clearly do
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shot Warrior Tipu 23g darts review Getagrip 9 2,294 12-23-2020, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Shot Darts Kyle Anderson Battler Darts Review Getagrip 6 294 11-24-2020, 06:52 PM
  Shot! and Shot Gear reviewed Darts mc1958 30 5,484 11-22-2020, 09:04 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Shot Kyle Anderson The Original O.G Darts Review Getagrip 15 484 11-16-2020, 02:29 PM
  Shot Kyle Anderson Desert Boomer Darts Review Getagrip 1 108 11-11-2020, 08:22 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Shot Tribal Weapon Koa Darts Review Getagrip 7 372 09-23-2020, 01:58 PM
  Shot Warrior Kapene Darts Review Getagrip 12 555 09-19-2020, 03:33 PM
  Shot Darts Daniel Larsson Darts Review Getagrip 10 382 09-04-2020, 04:48 PM
  Shot Viking Drakkar 23g darts review Getagrip 29 5,661 08-13-2020, 04:03 PM
  Shot Roman Empire Caesar Darts Review Getagrip 10 635 04-12-2020, 11:51 AM