Target Darts.

problem with raising arm and aiming slowly
Been playing in B-league for two years now and am an average player in the stats at best.

The biggest challenge I am dealing with is raising my arm to aim the dart before throwing it.  It's not that I can never do this but it definitely gets progressively worse as I throw more darts.  It gets to the point where it's almost impossible to stop my arm at the top of my throw to aim properly.

In practice (which is easier of course) I can follow the steps I want to when throwing darts:  I take my time, raise the dart up to eye level, aim, shoot, etc.  Once I am playing someone though (casually or in league play) these mechanics start to erode to the point where it's almost impossible to even get my arm raised up to eye level to aim anymore!  I am properly pacing myself when lining up to the oche and spotting my target and taking my time with that, the issue is with raising my arm completely to get the dart into the aiming position.  It appears to be the opposite of dartitis I'm dealing with here, since my problem isn't being able to release the dart, it's more that I can't get myself to hold onto it long enough.

I've tried all sorts of methods to get myself to stop at the time of my throw but they all erode and lead me back to the fast, non-aiming throw which is harder to find targets with.
Probably anxiety.

What were the "all sorts of methods to stop at the time of my throw" have you tried?
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
You should train at it hard build up a routine in your practice of raising your arm correctly and during games concentrate of following that routine to the tee. it takes time but with practice it can be sorted. I had a similar issue but I built steps into my throw and follow them no matter how high the stress runs. 
(07-04-2016, 04:05 AM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Probably anxiety.

What were the "all sorts of methods to stop at the time of my throw" have you tried?

I'd agree, anxiety plays a big part I'm sure.

I've tried counting to pace myself, doing a tap method on my leg before releasing the dart, and siting the dart and my arm to a certain spot.  These have all worked for a bit but seem to deteriorate over time and I'm back to the original issue.
I'll cut to the chase ... and this has happened up to Olympic level Archery as well ... find some sort of reference to a certain rhythm. The Koreans, at one stage, was rumoured to have beat a gong softly from the spectators stand in the background. Works the same as a metronome but not just for timing. If you don't know about Olympic level Korean Archers, they are virtually the very best of the best, and are usually always the team to try and beat.

If you can, use earplugs, and find suitable songs when playing. Either in practice, or if it's allowed, even during a match. At one stage, Roydan Lam used earplugs in some top level tournaments. If it's not allowed, just play it in the background while you practice. Make it loud enough to drown out most ambient noises, and while you're going through your lift, hold, aim, drawback and thrust, do NOT count (counting is a THOUGHT process, and you want to get rid of that strategically), but hum to the music - in your head.

You want have it as a mantra in your head, and use that whenever you throw, regardless of where or what situation - ALWAYS HUM it in your head when you throw. Do NOT think about the steps either. Only do that at the beginning till it becomes totally sub-conscious, and part of your form. [b]Like drowning out ambient noises, you want to drown out your thoughts, and doubts.

Stick to a maximum of three songs (you don't want to get confused), and ALWAYS use that when you throw.

It should not be something that puts you to sleep, nor something that is too fast paced. One could be something that is slightly slower, more calming. That is useful for high-anxiety situations. Another is your normal rhythm, and the last should be when you're in more control, and need a more dynamic beat. NOT necessarily fast paced, but dynamic. Later, I'll tag a video for you, which I would label as being the 'DYNAMIC' song. What I really like about it, besides being a great song, is that the underlying bass rhythm works for me where shooting is concerned. Of course, you may hate it.

Besides addressing a technique issue, this approach also forms part of mental training, strengths and strategies.

If you think about it, since rhythm is now your main problem, you'll understand the irony of the following song ... hopefully, in a good way!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers Lennon.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aiming, or not Hazza 4 297 04-15-2020, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Hazza
  dart in front of eye when aiming? tjdetweiler 11 876 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Last Post: tjdetweiler
  Aiming at 19 but hitting 16? Ed180 18 1,624 08-02-2018, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper
  Problems with aiming Stefan Gusko 11 1,854 01-30-2018, 04:13 AM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  Aiming issue Troll 7 820 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Musher
  Hitting/Aiming big number compared with treble Leetaylor17 3 893 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Last Post: wongerchi
  aiming at target Jamesr4300 11 1,373 12-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Jamesr4300
  aiming and focus English Animal 6 1,122 04-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Renwick180
  Aiming Si "TheJoker" Anderton 16 2,303 11-10-2015, 05:25 AM
Last Post: BigE
  Aiming inconsistencies Kon 6 1,150 01-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Icedmind