Darts Buddy

Unicorn Neon 3 23g darts review

Its nice to see another Neon model as I was very fond of the first two especially the Neon 2 which I think is a great dart, these new Neon 3 are a lovely dart too but are they as good for me as the Neon 2 is? Lets find out Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

These have just come out in the Unicorn 2017 range and the set I am reviewing here is 23g but they are also available in 21 and 25 grams. They are 90% tungsten and have the lovely rainbow coloured pvd coating. They retail for £55.95.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a nice chunky cardboard box which has a slide our tray with a dense foam insert inside holding the contents. With the barrels you get a set of Neon standard shape flights, a set of gripper Mirage stems and an aluminium trident point protector:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

As you can see the darts have a very grippy thin cut ring section on the bulbous front and a razor/shark style grip on the rear with a groove cut through it, this makes it feel a little more edgy and grippy so its a high level grip overall.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Dimensions in detail:

WEIGHT:

Two barrels are quite closely matched and the third is eight hundredths of a gram lighter than the heaviest but still within the stated + or - 0.1g as stated on the box:

Weight of the full setup as supplied:

BALANCE:

Hmmm, its very difficult to get the balance right because of the shape of the barrel but I would say with nothing attached its just about at the end of the bulbous front section:

With the supplied set up the balance is around the flat middle part:

The balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights but as said above its kind of awkward so its not much to see in the difference as the shape makes it sit much the same:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

Its only a short barrel but I found gripping just behind the bulbous part to be best for me:

Darts landed quite close to my usual angle:

CONCLUSION:

I do think this is a lovely looking dart and was very keen to try them properly after giving them a quick throw at the Unicorn launch. They did garner a lot of interest there and even Barney was looking very keen to try them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

After given them a proper go finally I don't think they suit me as well as I was hoping they would. I find if I grip on the bulbous section it feels a little weird for me but I think some people will be very happy with that position and will like the nice grip there too, for me it was not quite comfortable enough there and I got a lot of spin as I often do with a grippy dart. Trying it just past the bulbous part was a lot better, the dart was smoother through the air and less spin and was a whole lot more comfortable to hold.

I think the dart is likely going to suit a specific grip the best though and I think that is one which is a rear style of grip positioned on that razor grip section. Trying it there I found it a little awkward at first (its not natural to me remember) but it certainly felt the most comfortable and best balanced feel so if that's your natural style of grip and you like a short barrel dart then it will be good for you.

After a bit more time with the darts and keeping the middle style of grip I was getting a lot better with them and it was quite rewarding to see the improvement, the flight is overall nice and smooth and has a nice arc to it probably due to the bulbous nose but I think I much prefer the Neon 2 model, for me that one just felt more natural to throw Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary:

Looks: 9.5 (I think this is the best looking Neon version so far)
Grip: 9 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 7.5 (2 quite close)
Quality: 8 (nice)
Value: 7 (again its not cheap but a nice dart)
Suitability for me: 7 (got better with practice but did not immediately feel as natural as others)

Best Feature: Looks Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review and photos as usual Darren!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I wonder how darters would feel about the width of the darts ... 

Is there a double-threaded version coming out?
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers Chris!

Yes there is a soft tip version too

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another great review with the usual amazing pictures. Thanks Darren
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Since I may have not made a post on your reviews before I thought it was time to let you know what a remarkable job you are doing.

Your macro photography and use of depth of field settings to focus on certain parts of the dart are truly professional.  The lighting and quality of the setup for the photo are beyond any others I have seen, I understand the time and effort needed to take quality photos and appreciate your dedication to get it right.

Although the photos are only part of your review I have continued to see an overall move toward perfection.  With your insightful explanation of darts machining and how it effects the grip, the Dimensions in detail giving details of how it might measure up to each of our own fingers is just phenomenal.

The additional specifications you mention in your review continue to give everyone a very detailed explanation of what to expect from the dart.  

Maybe this is why you have sold me a few times into buying darts I never would have even looked at and help me to not buy darts that I did not have enough information about until your review, so keep up the extraordinary reviews.  I also didn’t even get to the video review lots of work.  A +1 from me just as many have done before me.
Great review!
There look good, I might have see to try these.
(07-01-2016, 07:57 PM)rich345 Wrote: Another great review with the usual amazing pictures. Thanks Darren

Cheers Rich Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(07-01-2016, 10:51 PM)trekbowl300 Wrote: Since I may have not made a post on your reviews before I thought it was time to let you know what a remarkable job you are doing.

Your macro photography and use of depth of field settings to focus on certain parts of the dart are truly professional.  The lighting and quality of the setup for the photo are beyond any others I have seen, I understand the time and effort needed to take quality photos and appreciate your dedication to get it right.

Although the photos are only part of your review I have continued to see an overall move toward perfection.  With your insightful explanation of darts machining and how it effects the grip, the Dimensions in detail giving details of how it might measure up to each of our own fingers is just phenomenal.

The additional specifications you mention in your review continue to give everyone a very detailed explanation of what to expect from the dart.  

Maybe this is why you have sold me a few times into buying darts I never would have even looked at and help me to not buy darts that I did not have enough information about until your review, so keep up the extraordinary reviews.  I also didn’t even get to the video review lots of work.  A +1 from me just as many have done before me.

Thanks!!! I appreciate your feedback and its great to hear, I still consider myself a beginner when it comes to using the DSLR, I have picked up a few things as I have muddled along but I do enjoy photographing the darts so that makes it more fun to keep learning and hopefully improving Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Cheers! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(07-02-2016, 07:42 AM)Est1874 Wrote: Great review!
There look good, I might have see to try these.

Thanks mate Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

These look great bud. Great review and awesome pictures! My wife loves the look of them but didnt think much of them when I shoed her these at online stores, Your pics really bring out the best of darts and give a true representation of them
Thanks John Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great.
They remind me of my RD Puremagic 23gr!

https://www.reddragondarts.com/det/7385/...2-23-gram/
Valencia/Spain

Yeah I was thinking of those too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks for the great review as always.

I really fancy the looks of these darts but don't think they will suit my grip. And they are a bit too expensive for just trying.
Need to stay strong. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Well done Darren as usual . Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
  I'm truly intrigued about Barney's interest in these. It's well documented he loves to change things up. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]®[/font]

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
(07-03-2016, 01:18 AM)vanJupp Wrote: Thanks for the great review as always.

I really fancy the looks of these darts but don't think they will suit my grip. And they are a bit too expensive for just trying.
Need to stay strong. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers, yeah I think a certain grip style is needed to appreciate them best, I got better with them after I felt more comfortable with the shape though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(07-03-2016, 03:42 AM)The G Wrote: Well done Darren as usual . Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
  I'm truly intrigued about Barney's interest in these. It's well documented he loves to change things up. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers! Yeah I asked him if he was sticking to the Phase 5 Barney dart and he said he was not sure and was giving these a good look but who knows with Barney, I think he has been doing well with the P5 though.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Fantastic review, very tempted to buy but the price is just a bit too much for me . Do you have any similar darts in your archives a little less expensive?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn 2022 Gary Anderson Phase 5 Noir Darts Review Getagrip 13 213 07-24-2021, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Simoski
  Unicorn 2022 Dimitri Van Den Bergh Noir Darts Review Getagrip 11 189 07-21-2021, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn 2022 Gary Anderson World Champion Phase 5 Darts Review Getagrip 13 249 07-19-2021, 09:33 AM
  Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review Getagrip 41 26,783 04-25-2021, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Bart
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 837 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 5,274 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 510 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 1,393 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 409 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,952 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa