Darts Buddy

Harrows Aztec 14g softip darts
The grand adventures of Kosumo and the light dart saga continue!

Bought these on a whim for about £18 or so from DC. I didn't realise until afterwards how much they look like the old Apex M36 model as used by Justin Pipe. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The darts

No points for guessing they come in a box:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

A bit battered in transit which is unfortunate but I'm not gonna judge darts by their packaging, right? ...right...?

You also get a hard case with the darts in:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Taking them out we can see them in more detail.

5 knurled rings, a scallop near the back... they do bear resemblance to Pipe's darts, no? Expect they're smaller. Anyway, I measured things...

Length

Width

(that does read 6.48 btw, proof is here for you skeptics Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.)

Front depth

Rear depth

Basically evenly drilled then. A short barrel but long enough for me! So now I weighed stuff:

Weight - barrel 1

Barrel 2

Barrel 3

0.07 difference then - which is quite very good!

Full softip setup weight (as supplied)

As you see then those Aztec aluminium stems are quite heavy. And made of aluminium. So I put them in my box of stems and got some better ones out along with a Target Ti-Pro conversion point, and...!

14g total setup, no matter which way you slice it. Lovely. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Balance (top to bottom: with softip point + Aztec stem, with conversion point + Aztec stem, barrel only)

Quite centre-to-rear balanced then. Here's the setup I'd actually use to test them:

Essentially the supplied setup but with One80 Reflex conversion points.

Grip

I gripped from the scallop part (so the opposite of Pipe then!)

My thumb as you see just rests on the knurling and my finger on the conversion point. I'd say the rings offer a medium-high level grip, probably a 5 or 6 aided by the scallop. The knurl is a low-level grip, probably a 3 or 4 but I don't use it anyway so I don't care. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

How they fly

Well! Tail-up with supplied setup which is the norm for me:

So alterations were made and they landed level. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Scores on the doors

Looks: 7/10. Maybe paintless and knurl-less they'd be a 9 but as they are they only get a 7.
Match weighting: 9/10. Falls within my 0.1 bound for above a 9/10, so it indeed gets it a 9. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Value: 8.5/10. £18 ain't bad for a set of darts!
Suitability for me: 8.5/10. Lightness is very suited to me although the lack of material grip is a bit difficult to get used to. Still - scallop helps that.
How nice to throw: 9/10. A solid, comfy dart. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Final score: 8.5/10. Not quite a 9, but a great dart nonetheless. Probably going to become either my backup set or my go-to softip set, I like them enough for that. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Wow aluminium stems made of aluminium image that
Nice review me8!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Nice detailed review! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
great review Josh Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. +1
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Very nice review. Quite a neat looking little dart for the money
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Nice review Josh, take a +1
These could be just what I've been looking for as I've been after a set of soft-tips with a similar weight to the 12g red dragon / Nodor sharks
I don't suppose you have time to do a side by side photo of the two
a full set up weight comparison would be most marvelous too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
County Durham's worst darter - Hitting single 1 for 22 years now

(06-28-2016, 03:44 AM)Crusher17 Wrote: Wow aluminium stems made of aluminium image that

I know right?! Revolutionary stuff here.

(06-28-2016, 09:22 AM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Nice review me8!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(06-28-2016, 09:41 AM)Kev Wrote: Nice detailed review! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks Kev! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(06-28-2016, 04:12 PM)Getagrip Wrote: great review Josh Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. +1

Thanks Darren! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(06-28-2016, 04:29 PM)ElusiveDouble85 Wrote: Very nice review. Quite a neat looking little dart for the money

Thanks! Yeah they are aren't they? A lot like Pipe's old M36es too which are super rare these days so if you want a lighter version these work. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(06-29-2016, 09:56 PM)Random Trebles Wrote: Nice review Josh, take a +1
These could be just what I've been looking for as I've been after a set of soft-tips with a similar weight to the 12g red dragon / Nodor sharks
I don't suppose you have time to do a side by side photo of the two
a full set up weight comparison would be most marvelous too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Anything for a fellow Nutz. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Both setups are a medium nylon stem and Harrows Retina kite flight. Softip length comparison and one weight comparison is with a Cosmo 28mm (I think) titanium conversion point.

12g Sharks:

Aztecs w/ conversion point:

Aztecs w/ softip point:

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Cheers Josh
I think I may have to pick up a set of those
County Durham's worst darter - Hitting single 1 for 22 years now

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cosmo John Part 16g softip darts Cosmo 10 4,061 05-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: James 180