Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Dartboard
hi all

My son(8) is very keen to play darts, having met Wayne Mardle at an exhibition (nice guy by the way) and I am wondering which dartboard to get. It has been a long time since I played and the world has changed. Is the Target Phil Taylor Power Board any good (heavily discounted at Argos and elsewhere)? Other boards I am considering are the Blade 4 Dual core and the Unicorn HD. Those are the makes stocked by Argos and other local shops. Any advice much appreciated.
I like the regular blade 4 -
youll be fine as long as you get one of the boards with razor type wires. they last a long longer than the cheaper round wired boards.

all of the better ones are self healing to a certain degree and have a movable number ring so you can rotate the board to make it last longer.

other than that its really all about personal preference. personally i wasnt particularly impressed by the blade 4. i love the sound it makes when you strike it, but my darts didnt seem to stick in there very well. also it was very prone to getting nicks in the wires which eventually started causing lots of bounceouts.

ive never had anything made my unicorn that lasted very long. that includes shafts, flights, boards, etc. but i see a lot of people play on unicorn boards and use unicorn gear so maybe its just me.

the boards that i am pretty much exclusive to now are the Nodor SupaWire boards. out of all the boards ive played on these seemed to hold the bull area better than any other, which is the only area that wont really heal itself.

but for a starter board any of those you mentioned is going to work for you. you dont have to buy the most expensive one, that doesnt necessarily mean its the best. but you definitely dont want to go cheap because there is a very big difference between the cheap boards and the good boards. stick with razor type wired boards and make sure it has a movable number ring and it will last the little guy for a long, long time.
(06-23-2016, 05:46 PM)mcockrell Wrote: youll be fine as long as you get one of the boards with razor type wires. they last a long longer than the cheaper round wired boards.

all of the better ones are self healing to a certain degree and have a movable number ring so you can rotate the board to make it last longer.

other than that its really all about personal preference. personally i wasnt particularly impressed by the blade 4. i love the sound it makes when you strike it, but my darts didnt seem to stick in there very well. also it was very prone to getting nicks in the wires which eventually started causing lots of bounceouts.

ive never had anything made my unicorn that lasted very long. that includes shafts, flights, boards, etc. but i see a lot of people play on unicorn boards and use unicorn gear so maybe its just me.

the boards that i am pretty much exclusive to now are the Nodor SupaWire boards. out of all the boards ive played on these seemed to hold the bull area better than any other, which is the only area that wont really heal itself.

but for a starter board any of those you mentioned is going to work for you. you dont have to buy the most expensive one, that doesnt necessarily mean its the best. but you definitely dont want to go cheap because there is a very big difference between the cheap boards and the good boards. stick with razor type wired boards and make sure it has a movable number ring and it will last the little guy for a long, long time.
thanks very useful advice - actually found my old Nodor Dart Board at my parent's house - in really good condition still though it did get quite a bit of use. Rotating it certainly helped keep it fresh - that will do for a start and we will see how he progresses - and me too. I am looking forward to playing again too. Great stress relief from work.
Dont over think it. Grab a board and throw.
Think i'll try the Blade 4 Dual Core for my next board.

Really like the look of them.
Darts
Harrows 21 gram Fire darts.
Winmau 21 gram Hankey darts.

Best leg 501 - 11 Darts

Best finish
160 comp.
164 Dartman
146 Wda

WDA - 3Bulls
Dartman - 3Bulls

Gladiator 2 every day for me but the Gladiator 3 is coming.....................
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
well. i like my bull advantage x-tra ..its a very hard board tho,,when i got my target distinction darts they only stayed in the board for like 5 secunds then falling down..
so a darts sharpener should come with the board Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(07-02-2016, 07:07 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: Gladiator 2 every day for me but the Gladiator 3 is coming.....................

And so is Christmas. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

On topic Blade 4 is the popular choice around here but in the interests of DartsNutz impartiality the One80 Gladiator 2 and Bull's Advantage 5.01 have good write-ups, even with the latter being on the expensive side. Nodor Supawire 2 is basically a Blade 4 but rebranded. Unicorn Eclipse Pro 2/ HD 2 are both looking good as well but again can be expensive. Your choice really Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts