Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Aluminum Shafts for Soft Tip Darts?
What are some of the pros and cons about using aluminum shafts with soft tip darts?
I'm looking for shafts that don't break easily, and aluminum would seem to meet that need.
However, there may be some other important factors that I'm overlooking. Thanks
They might be less durable than nylon. They bend really easy and with soft tip you can expect some bounceouts so that doesn't help.
Loaded question, unintentionally. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Many here seems to really hate alums. 

Even though I sometimes use alums, they can bend slightly if bounce-outs happen on hard surfaces, and can be a bit of a pain if that happens. Be prepared for that - just carry spares and forget about 'repairing' it. If the tines (or prongs) get bent, that's an easy fix for me. For alum tops on plastic shafts, I have no issues. One major advantage of using alum is it's a cheap and simple way to add more back weight to your set-up. 

If breaking is the only problem, look for nylons. Cheap as chips, and lasts forever ... well, almost, depending on the color of the shafts. Natural white and black seem to be ultra durable. Nylons, like easier to break polycarbs, are lighter than alums.

Or look for carbons or titanium, all of which cost significantly higher than the shafts mentioned above. Carbon is very light, while some TI shafts can get very heavy. With certain carbon shafts, especially the Japanese ones, you might need some kind of cap system to keep the tines protected. 

Good Luck and Happy Darting me8!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Just ask Saber. He knows everything there is to know on this topic Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Ya Saber is your "go to Man" as far as Aluminium goes ,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Here is my take on Aluminum stems for soft tip ,,,,,  I like them for a few reasons,,,
1. Being soft tip ,,,you never have to worry about robinhoods,,,,
2. 1 set may last you a lifetime,,,,shorter stems will be harder to bend on impact with the floor from a bounceout,,,,
3. Price,,,, cheap to replace,,,,
4. Weight,,, like mentioned above ,,, the added weight of aluminum may make your darts fly more true,,,,,

Cons,,,,

1. O-Rings,,,,,can get by without them but do you really want too?,,,,,,,
2.Repair ,,,If you manage to break one off in the barrel ,,,,, could be a mother to get out,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
3. Saber

With all that being said ,,,, I really like the Target Branded Stems both Aluminum "Pinch Grip" and the Nylon "Pro Grip Spin" shafts,,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Nope... Ally stems are junk

My experience with them is that they bend every time they hit the floor... It may be subtle, but they still bend.

I would also bet that soft tip points could bend the tines out if you hit them right...

Nylon/plastic with a cap or ring system is the way to go if you aren't interested in Cosmo, l-style, clic, etc.

Thanks to all for your reply posts - very helpful.
Kicking myself to now learn that using aluminum shafts could have saved me from all those lost hours of sleep worrying about possible robin hoods.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.