Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Spinning Stems Pros/Cons?
Hi All,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on spinning stems? I personally don't use them, and haven't seen any pros use them, but did play around with a set last night and didn't see any major advantage or disadvantage.

(06-16-2016, 09:24 PM)darthdunham Wrote: didn't see any major advantage or disadvantage.

Exactly Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I like the new Target Pro Grip Spin stems ,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
There is no cons i think, some spinning stems begin to rattle, but this is nothing that some silicon grease wont fix :-). As for the pros - there is obviously the possibility to spin on hit which would allow for tighter grouping and less deflections.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think the very loose ones are annoying but I do think they are not a bad idea really as they can move out the way when close grouping.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I have some spinning cosmo's and they seem to move out of the way of close darts and they are quiet, although sometimes they pop off the stem which is annoying to me but not earth shattering
As far as them rattling, it all depends on which kind of stems you buy.    I once used the Dyna Star system and they didn't rattle at all, ever.    Then I went with the slightly cheaper aluminum spinning stems and after a few matches they would loosen up enough to rattle and I could actually feel the looseness on the throwing stroke when propelling the dart forward after the backstroke.   This got annoying enough that I quit using them.

It has the same feel as a stem that has loosened from the barrel a bit.
Thank you for all the info, perhaps I'll give it another go with the Clic system or L-Style.
Standard points + fixed Cosmo stems = flights begins to wearout first day.
Tornado/Storm points +  Cosmo spinning stems = flights two monts and still in very good condition. Better grouping and less deflection.

I also tried Clic and Target systems.
For me cosmo is the best.

Cosmo spinning stems have minor rattle, not annoying, and save a lot of money.
Saving money is not my main reason, but is always good! Jujuju
Valencia/Spain

i used them when i first started playing. it seemed to help level the dart if it came out wobbly. i stopped using them because i broke all of them. at the time i was still very new and only shopped at my local dealer, whos prices i found out later were outrageously high compared to online. the stems were plastic or nylon but the cuff that spins around was aluminum. they will spin out of the way unless you hit it right in the cuff, which i did and kept bending out or breaking the prongs.

after using regular ones for a while i ordered more spinners to try since it had been a while since i had played with them and now it just feels weird when it comes out of my hand. most of them are pretty loose and when i throw them it feels like the stem isnt screwed on tight. i never could get used to it.

that being said, i did order some not too long ago that turned, but they didnt spin. that is you could turn the cuff by hand but it didnt just spin freely. i really liked those. i found that having the little bit of extra weight from the metal cuff worked for me. but alas, i ended up breaking all of those too.

MC
A lot of Pros use spinners in some parts of Asia and South East Asia. It seems that many of the Pros one may be familiar with in the UK don't. 

Some are more prone to rattle. I use both the Harrows Gyro, and the aluminium Super Spin, but I adjust them so that the flights do not move till something hits them. It doesn't rattle even after months, but if it does, it's simply a matter of re-adjustment. With some shafts, you can do that. The L-Style Carbon Silent, a ravishingly sexy stem is supposed to address the issue of rattle.

Many say spinners helps with deflection and offers tighter groupings. One person who have used both say that groupings are tighter with fixed, but I suspect he may have loose flights. No evidence, just guessing because I've felt a few of them, and the flights fit on them a tad bit loose, which may explain slightly less stability?
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spinning shafts MadMike4 44 5,353 05-24-2021, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Gareth Rosslee
  Best spinning shaft MadMike4 15 5,307 05-06-2020, 02:29 AM
Last Post: jcturbot
  Which pros use short stems? Rufer 16 5,648 02-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Last Post: AD18