Harrows Darts.

Single out vs Double out
One of the things I love about soft tip darts is not having to worry about counting much...and focusing just on playing darts (and socializing). For the past two years I've played in a fun team league where we play 301 single out. So your outs for single out are quite different than double out.

I just started in another league (a little more serious) which is 501 double out. I was trying to think of how to setup my partner and was thinking, man...I'm not sure what to leave him. I don't mean closer to zero like 40 and 32...but on the higher end of the numbers I was like, well...I guess I can just make it an even number which he could take out easier. I think I had something like 137 with one dart left. I figured if I threw at triple 19 that'd leave him with something more decent.

I find it interesting going back and forth with double out and single out.

However! before you say it should always be double out, we had two folks match up who are very low players. Their 501 game took forever on double out. So I think it's good that our fun team league is single out or most of the low players would probably not play. We have players of all skill levels in our fun league. I suppose they don't call it a fun league but that's pretty much what it is. I figure if you want to be serious you should be playing in the more competitive leagues we have.
I agree. Lot's of more experienced darters sometimes look down on single out games but it's how new darters can get involved in the game without it being too difficult. Of course as standard improves double out / master out becomes the norm but there is a place for both within the game I believe.
Cosmo Fit Point Plus tips
Trinidad Jet 18 gram barrels
Cosmo Carbon size 8 shafts, large, Orange super kite air flights  

Phoenix ID - [PIRATES] Pughdog
VDarts H2 - pughdog
I think new players should definitly start with single out or master out to get them more chances to get have fun playing before going to take it more serious.
Also i liked to play, if not to say i nearly only played, Round the Clock because it was challenging, fun and develops your throw.
Darts: Taylor 8zero Black Ti 24g, Chizzy Gold 24g, Barney Phase 5 23g, Paul Nicholson 24g, and so on...
Highout: 125 (T20-T15-D10)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(06-14-2016, 07:34 PM)GOLGO-13 Wrote: Their 501 game took forever on double out.

If they never try it, they never learn it.
Beginner.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My little darts collection

180th: 14x
Highfinishes: 118 (20 T20 D19), 112 (T20 12 D20), 108 (T20 16 D16), 102 (T20 10 D16), 110 (T19 17 D18), 101 (T17 B)
The leg of my life: 12 Darts (T20 T20 T20 20 ( :s no 9darter Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) T20 20 20 T20 T20 T20 5 D8) 

The problem I see is that it divides people into groups and creates an unnecessary threshold to play against people of the "better" group.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
It's ok for entry level, but at what level do you expect players to start moving to master/double out. I play mostly B flight comps and are astounded by the amount of open out comps there are.
If it is administered properly, I think it is a good idea. My wife is not a hard core darter, but does enjoy playing. If she could not single out, she would likely chuck the whole thing. As it is, she is enjoying the game and, hopefully, will commit a bit more.

It's a bit like a golf handicap.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I started at 301 Singe Out, switching to Master and then Double Out came pretty natural, as i advanced with time and started playing with better players. So it's nothing to be mocked, its just a normal way of progression imo.
I've played in all kinds of tournaments, all sorts of leagues... many concoctions of side games... but, never once have I ever played single out.

Where's the skill???
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Single out sounds like tee ball, or any other of today's youth sports... everyone gets a trophy for even playing.

What happened to learning how to lose???
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Yea, I also never played any tournament or league that was open out.

So I don't get where it comes from that you would need a certain skill level to play double out.
I don't see any point whatsoever to having a game of darts that is single out!!! Double out tests people and hence the phrase 'scoring for show doubles for dough'. I have lost games where I have scored like a beast but couldn't hit a double and have also won similar games where my opponent couldn't check out. These add to the 'drama' but having the option to hit a big number to go out seems ridiculous to me!
(06-17-2016, 11:05 AM)dannyd180 Wrote: I don't see any point whatsoever to having a game of darts that is single out!!! Double out tests people and hence the phrase 'scoring for show doubles for dough'. I have lost games where I have scored like a beast but couldn't hit a double and have also won similar games where my opponent couldn't check out. These add to the 'drama' but having the option to hit a big number to go out seems ridiculous to me!

the point is newer players can play ,until they get good enough to hit a dbl out
wife 's  ,girl friends,new players can still enjoy a game of darts without it taking 3 times as long as it should ,
who wants to wait behind ,59 dart leg ? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
you count 180's
i'm counting money
     :usa:

(06-17-2016, 11:50 AM)181-3dartout Wrote: who wants to wait behind ,59 dart leg ? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I don't see the problem. If you are to good for that stuff play against higher ranked people. SO is no competition at all. With DO you sometimes have some darts at double because your opponents miss. But with SO the better scorer wins always.
Beginner.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My little darts collection

180th: 14x
Highfinishes: 118 (20 T20 D19), 112 (T20 12 D20), 108 (T20 16 D16), 102 (T20 10 D16), 110 (T19 17 D18), 101 (T17 B)
The leg of my life: 12 Darts (T20 T20 T20 20 ( :s no 9darter Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) T20 20 20 T20 T20 T20 5 D8) 

(06-17-2016, 05:22 PM)JoelH Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 11:50 AM)181-3dartout Wrote: who wants to wait behind ,59 dart leg ? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I don't see the problem. If you are to good for that stuff play against higher ranked people. SO is no competition at all. With DO you sometimes have some darts at double because your opponents miss. But with SO the better scorer wins always.

i have no problems ,joelh
i was answering dannys post
SO is great for new players , more players means the sport is growing ,alot move on to DO ,some stay at the SO level
you count 180's
i'm counting money
     :usa:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Double bull double out recovery Damien cribbs 0 100 05-23-2021, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Damien cribbs