Harrows Darts.

You know what grinds my gears?!
Something I really can't stand while playing/watching soft tip is in tournaments or blind draws you can open out. Just recently (last night) I was playing in a pretty well known blind draw to where a couple of pros showed up. Now I was excited because I don't get to see too many pro's since I'm mainly steel tip, well once I found out that its open in/open out I was pretty pissed off. These guys of course can hit the bull with no problem and of course it was a fat bull(which means even SBull is 50pts) so they can just score at will. I like to think i'm pretty good at soft tip but playing last night with those guys just really made me not want to play anymore. How can you expect to have fun when the other team has 25 left and can just hit a simple S5, S20 to win? Now I think it was only a $300 pot and it only cost a whopping $5 to play but its just the principle I guess. Does anyone else agree with me or am I just being a big baby?
180 Goal - 5/10  
Twitter: James_Judd
Instagram: DartFiend1992  

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
That's a shame.  and your complaint is a good insight to why darts is lacking the growth in US, people don't want to come back to that.   At least around here in Montana the top players, even if playing open out, will treat it like a master out and only go for bull/trip/double to win.  

I've also played in some Idaho power draws that stipulated the higher ranked player must go the master out route and lose the game if they single out.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(05-27-2016, 03:46 PM)Horse Wrote: That's a shame.  and your complaint is a good insight to why darts is lacking the growth in US, people don't want to come back to that.   At least around here in Montana the top players, even if playing open out, will treat it like a master out and only go for bull/trip/double to win.  

I've also played in some Idaho power draws that stipulated the higher ranked player must go the master out route and lose the game if they single out.

Thats how it should be! Play with some respect, if you're a pro and you take a 60 out with three S20's come on man!!!! Down here in Florida everyone is a cry baby when it comes to losing.
180 Goal - 5/10  
Twitter: James_Judd
Instagram: DartFiend1992  

And also, not all "Pros" play like that.  Soldier played in a handicapped 3 man o/o tourney once with a buddy and I, and I still don't think I ever saw him take a game out without mastering out.  And this payed much better than a $300 pot.  So there are some around that take pride in their games.
I'm playing in a classic E-Dart League with Steeldart rules and Steeldart sizes (13" Board and only 2-Hole segments for Double and Tripple). Our team had the choice to start into a C-Level League with 501 Single Out or play in another C-Level League with longer driving distances and only 301 but Master Out (You can finish with Double or Tripple segments).

It was a no-brainer that we wen't to the 301 Master Out League cause not a single one of us wanted to play Single Out. Single Out is for absolute beginners who need to get a feeling but not for competitions (in my opinion). I could even convince a friend of mine to play Master Out with me even when he is not very experienced in Darts. After we played a few rounds (and after he beat me for the first time) even he said, it's way more fun than Single Out cause you have to work for your win.
I'm a rating 5 Dartslive (i.e. pretty average player) though have learnt not to single out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
It's really up to who sets up the tournament or blind draw. Our league games are single out and fat bull, but our tournaments and blind draws are always double out and split bull. But format for these are up to the folks setting up the tournament.

That being said, I (being a beginner) would have a better chance if we played fat bull single out in these tournaments. When you throw at bulls in league and have to throw at trip 20s in a blind draw, it provides the advantage to the players that play stuff like that.

In your case you are more used to double out and trip 20s...which is probably why this makes you mad. But for someone who plays mostly fat bull single out (like me) I find split bull double out as a disadvantage to me and helps the pros more.

I will say this. Dartslive tournaments (top end players) play 701 fat bull master out. I think they should change to split bull because they can hit the fat bullseye everytime. And quite frankly the 701 games with that format and level of players are pretty boring and pointless. The cricket games are pretty good though of course. But I'd rather see them play 501 split bull double out personally.
I must be honest here but hope I don't offend anybody, all this talk of fat bull and master out is starting to grind my gears.
Why the need to change the description, the bull is the red bit in the middle and the semi bull is the green bit.
As for "master out" WTF!, its finish on a double.
By counting the whole bull area as the same score and only having to finish on a single number reduces the accuracy massively almost to novice level.
Might as well call the whole board scoring zone 1 and toss a coin then the first person to hit the board wins, nice and quick and no real skill required.
Straight start or double start then double to finish ( with BULL 50 and SEMI BULL 25 ) is darts and cricket is cricket, both games require skill and accuracy anything else just seems pointless.
If you really want to improve put the time in and learn your finishes.
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(06-02-2016, 10:17 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: As for "master out" WTF!, its finish on a double.

I'm totaly with you in this point. The "Master Out" is only in lower Dart Leagues here in my region. However, we play on 13" Boards with only 2 hole distance for double and tripple fields, so it's way harder to hit compared to the 15" boards with it's huge double and tripple fields. Our Single Bull also only counts 25 points and only the double Bull is 50 points. You can say we play Steeldart on plastic and force ourselfs only to play with 18.9g maximum Dart weight.

Since we cannot start in a higher league and have to win to get there we are forced to play Master Out. In Training we mostly play Double Out.
Wow I bet after 2 x T20 you get really good at switching to T19, do you still throw from the same distance?
How come you are limited to 18.9 grams?
In the UK we do not have "double bull" just bull or 25.
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Why can you only use a 18.9g limit dart? Regs allow up to 20g now
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
I play in a novice league...so single out is actually probably a good thing. We'd be playing all night otherwise.

Our league is still technically 18 gram limit. I think a lot of people play with 20 gram darts though.

Master out is more than just bull situation. It allows you to finish on a triple also. Single out means you can finish on anything really.

For single out, learning your outs is quite different. And if the entire bull area is 50 it changes strategy. So in our league (single out), if I have 69 points left I usually go 19 and then the bull. That way I limit busting. It's quite frankly a different game than split bull double out.

I don't see a reason to complain really though. Everyone has the same situation. If you don't like soft tip rules then play steel tip would be my opinion. I like soft tip because I can just go out and have a good time. We get pretty good participation from lower level players. But after all is said and done it's not as serious a dart situation. We just like to drink a few and throw some darts.
I should point out there are more serious darts in our league...and they do play by normal rules without any handicaps. Which is good if that's what you are interested in. If I played in those I'd lose every game. They are just too good of players.
Sounds like kids soccer excuse were not gonna keep score so they just have fun, to many rules with so many leagues
hah... Well, we do like to win, but it's not the end of the world. Some people are more serious than others. In my opinion, if you want to play serious darts you'd want to play in the more serious leagues.

I'd compare it to volleyball and kickball leagues. It's fun competition and drinking is part of the fun.

I'd like to play in more serious leagues but I can only play one night (wife won't let me play more). I think I need to improve quite a bit more to move onto a better league.

However, tournaments (which this thread started on) are a bit more serious. I wish we did less blind draws though. I think it would be more fun to start with a singles or doubles tournament and have a blind draw after.