Darts Buddy

PDC and BDO regulations for Dartboards
I was looking earlier for the PDC regulations for dartboard sizes and while they have some regulations they don't go into specific dimensions from what I can see: https://www.pdc.tv/staticFiles/b6/b3/0,,...078,00.pdf

PDC:

5.13 Dartboards:
5.13.01 All dartboards shall be of the “Bristle” type.
5.13.02 All dartboards shall be of the “1 - 20 Clock” pattern.
5.13.03 The inner narrow band shall score treble the segment number.
5.13.04 The outer narrow band shall score double the segment number.
5.13.05 The outer centre ring shall score 25.
5.13.06 The inner centre ring shall score 50 and shall be called the “Bull”.
5.13.07 All the wires forming the doubles and trebles segments, inner and outer centre rings which together form the “Spider”, shall be affixed to the face of the dartboard in such a manner that they lie flat on the face of the dartboard and feature no gaps or splits.
5.13.08 The dartboard shall be fixed in such a manner that the perpendicular height from the floor (to be at the same level as the Oche) to the centre of the Bull shall measure 1.73 metres (5ft 8ins).
5.13.09 The dartboard shall be fixed such that the 20 segment is coloured black and is at the top of the dartboard.
5.13.10 Subject to these General Playing Rules a Player or team captain shall have the right to request that a dartboard be changed during the course of a match. Such a request will only be considered by the Referee or an Official provided the opposing Player or team captain concurs with the request. Such change shall only be made before the start of or after the completion of a leg.
5.13.11 The changing of a dartboard shall only be carried out by an Official.
5.13.12 Other dartboards may be used only with the prior approval of the DRA.

Whereas the BDO is more detailed: https://www.bdodarts.com/images/bdo-cont...-rules.pdf

4.0 DARTBOARDS – BDO APPROVED SPECIFICATION
4.1 Organisers of tournaments played under these Rules must ensure that the dartboards to be played on have been approved for use by the BDO, and by meeting the specification below shall;
a. All Dartboards shall be of the 'bristle' type.
b. All Dartboards shall be manufactured from Sisal
c. All Dartboards shall be of the 1 - 20 clock pattern
d. All Dartboards shall have an inner centre ring (Bull) that shall score 50 points.
e. All Dartboards shall have an outer centre ring that shall score 25 points
f. All Dartboards shall have an inner narrow band, 'Treble Ring', which shall score treble the segment number
g. All Dartboards shall have an outer narrow band, 'Double Ring', which shall score double the segment number.
h. All Dartboards shall have segment boundary material comprising as follows:
 Wire types can be round, triangular or diamond-shaped in section maximum 1.85mm or 1.27mm minimum. (+/-.2mm)
 Inner and outer bull rings, if not made of wire, to have sharpened edges and a wall thickness not greater than 1.6mm (+/- 0.2 mm)
 Strip materials should not be greater than 1.85 mm in wall thickness and have a sharpened edge to form an apex.
i. All Dartboard segment boundary materials shall either be affixed to the face of the board in such a manner that they lie flat on the face of the dartboard or alternatively strip materials be embedded into the surface of the board
j. All Dartboards shall have the following dimensions;
Double and Treble dimensions to be:
 for conventional wire boards, measured inside to inside = 8.0mm +/- 0.2 mm
 for strip material manufacture measured apex to apex = 10.00mm +/- 0.2 mm
 Inner Bull (50) ring inside diameter = 12.7 mm. +/- 0.2 mm.
 Outer Bull (25) ring inside diameter = 31.8 mm +/- 0.3 mm.
 Outside edge of Double segment wire to Centre Bull = 170.0 mm. +/- 0.2 mm.
 Outside edge of Treble segment wire to Centre Bull = 107.4 mm. +/- 0.2 mm.
 Outside edge of Double segment wire diameter = 340.0 mm. +/- 0.5 mm.
 Overall Dartboard diameter = 451,0 mm. +/- 3.0 mm
4.2 The dartboard shall be fixed such that the '20' segment is the darker of the two segment colours and is at the top centre of the dartboard.
4.3 A player or team Official shall have the right to request that the dartboard be changed or turned before or during the course of a match, always providing that the opposing player or team Official concurs with the request. Such change or move shall only be made before a match, or between Legs of a match and shall only be carried out by a Tournament official.

My point is I know the BDO regulated darts and the way we have the length of the oche etc is because of them but when it comes to the board specs and specifically Unicorns boards, why would they need to adhere to the BDO's specs if they are never used in BDO comps and why does the PDC not have its own specified measurements?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Never knew the PDC didn't specify a treble or double size. Theoretically then they could go bigger if they wanted but good on Unicorn for keeping to the BDO spec. Then again I suppose that's the expected treble and double size so changing it would cause controversy.

Also I had no idea BDO still allowed round wires! Would like to see that at the Lakeside next year haha Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
round wires and brass darts only lol
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

that's why the averages are higher in the PDC - bigger double and treble segments Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(05-23-2016, 03:03 PM)Getagrip Wrote: My point is I know the BDO regulated darts and the way we have the length of the oche etc is because of them but when it comes to the board specs and specifically Unicorns boards, why would they need to adhere to the BDO's specs if they are never used in BDO comps and why does the PDC not have its own specified measurements?

The PDC makes more money, but the BDO has more Players all over the world. So, it makes no sense to change the rules here. Youth Player grow up in the "BDO World". And if you look on it in this perspective the best thing the PDC can do is to use the "world wide rulebook" as much as they can.
Beginner.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My little darts collection

180th: 14x
Highfinishes: 118 (20 T20 D19), 112 (T20 12 D20), 108 (T20 16 D16), 102 (T20 10 D16), 110 (T19 17 D18), 101 (T17 B)
The leg of my life: 12 Darts (T20 T20 T20 20 ( :s no 9darter Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) T20 20 20 T20 T20 T20 5 D8) 

Back in the 90s there was a thought that the PDC might have to use different rules, in much the same way there is a difference between Rugbys Union and League. It's why the PDC had the equal darts rule in some competitions plus of course they used the Quadro Board for one event. So it could be that they could have a different board as well.
Current Darts: Target Ariane 20g, Pro Grip Spin, black and white flying skull vision flights. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  different dartboards notjimpike 8 404 03-06-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Don Hagliatelli
  Dartboards have feelings too! Chappers 10 655 03-21-2019, 07:07 AM
Last Post: JB_Fraser
  Dartboards in interesting places. The Jester 4 909 08-24-2017, 07:00 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade