Target Darts.

Vertical forearm?
Quick question I'd like to get people's thoughts on. How important is a vertical forearm? Mine is not vertical - it's like my had is at 5 minutes to, instead of 12 o'clock, but if i have it vertical it feels very unnatural.

What do you think? Keep it as it is, or work on getting it more vertical?
Good question,I like to know answer myself ,but for now watch this video
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I have struggled with this myself. I am very analytical and probably over analyzed my throw (see my other posts). I have gone from trying to emulate the perfect throw to just naturally throwing. When my forearm is vertical, I eliminate much of my left to right scatter but it just doesn't feel natural. If it doesn't feel natural I think it is hard to reproduce for consistency.

Presently I am at a bit of a compromise. I am more vertical than I normally would be but not perfect.

There are some great videos by Wayne Mardle on YouTube that address this. You should check them out.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I think I posted a similar thread in the past and my conclusion is that its not entirely important as many players dont throw with a completely vertical forearm. I can see the logic in why it would be desirable but as I mentioned in a past thread the only way I personally could do it was to kind of lean forward and at the same time lean to the right. This actually worked well for me and I think John Lowe does something similar.

BUT!!! After doing that for a few days I got a terrific pain in my shoulder which took nearly 3 months to ease off so I never tried it again.

If it works for you then its not a bad way to help get your alingment better but I think been comfortable is more important than trying to contort yourself in ways that are not natural.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I'm the same as you grip. I can get it straight but I have to twist and lean and end up in pain. The strange thing is, without a dart in my hand my arm goes vertical. Put a dart in my hand and it moves over. Guess it's something to do with the way I aim, but I'm not going to worry about it.
You need to square your wrist up too, if you hold your fingers up, palm facing left and little finger facing the board its easy to do with the forearm vertical but to do it with the dart pointing at the board means twisting your wrist as if your palm is facing the board.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Imo, wrist twisting comes often from a late release, where your brain tries to correct your throw.
Personally, I think the straight up and down forearm is the way to go to help eliminate having to over compensate in another area of your release to correct bad form.

For those that find it a bit unfamiliar or uncomfortable, I liken it to a proper golf grip and swing.     When I first learned how to properly grip a golf club, it felt so strange to me since the only sporting equipment I had ever gripped with 2 hand was a baseball bat.   Those 2 grips are totally opposite of one another.   That whole interlocking of fingers on a golf club really took me some time getting use to, along with the way you have to position your arms for a proper swing.    However, with time, it became second nature and now I can't imagine gripping a golf club any other way.

In short, you will get use to the stance the more you use it and I firmly believe the more you do to lessen any possible inconsistencies in your stroke, the better you will get.
(05-23-2016, 11:44 AM)Getagrip Wrote: You need to square your wrist up too, if you hold your fingers up, palm facing left and little finger facing the board its easy to do with the forearm vertical but to do it with the dart pointing at the board means twisting your wrist as if your palm is facing the board.

This is actually how I throw and feel the most consistent and comfortable. I make sure my palm is facing slightly forward like you say. I also throw with a fairly straight vertical forearm so I guess that is why I do that with my palm....

Cheers  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think how you grip it also is what makes it easier or harder to get the arm vertical but its what makes darts such a hard thing to master for some, but its fun to keep experimenting and improving with what we learn Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Music 
Just seen this posted elsewhere. If Gary doesn't need a straight forearm....neither do I

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yep there is lots like that Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Yep. Great statement on "if it works for you, it's probably right". Compare Gary's throw to Barney's. Gary draws to just below his right eye, pauses for a split second, and then almost jerks the dart to the board. Barney has one of the most fluid and sloooooow throws I have ever seen, but this is because he uses a lot of wrist. If you watch just his arm, it is almost surprising the dart makes it to the board.

Both are great champions. Darts is definitely not a one size fits all!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I just done a vid of my throw and although my present throw is not my natural one I started with its more vertical than I thought it was Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

chisnall doesnt have anywhere near vertical either. ive also thought about this same thing because i know i have a tendency to go left or right depending on my release because mine isnt perfectly vertical. but as some of you have done i have tried to get completely vertical but it just doesnt feel natural from the way that i stand. and when i have put some time into practicing vertical it just felt weird. i ended up having to stand to one side of the oche, which put everything at a different distance and messed everything up. but when i watch guys like adrian lewis it looks absolutely natural to him. but if you look closer......

its really all in the way he stands. if you notice he isnt one to hover over the oche and lean forward like a lot of people. its almost like hes standing with his feet pointing straight. ive tried this but its far too much to change at once. then you ahve people like ian white and barney who look like they have perfect verticals, but they draw the dart back behind their ear and not in front of their face like lewis.

taylor has the easiest one to replicate for me and his motion is so simple that its ridiculous. if i had some darts that were barreled like his i could probably replicate his throw to a certain degree. that is, when i try to replicate it with the darts that i have im able to keep everything straight and in a line, but my darts shoot way up because youre basically tossing the dart up in a line instead of throwing it up and letting it fall into the number.

one of the things that i really really need to work on is finding a stance/grip/throwing action that will allow me to be a lot more relaxed when i throw. right now when im in the zone i can put a hurt on some trebles, but the problem is that i will find a spot that is working for me and ill end up contorting my body around throwing at different numbers and the next morning when i wake up my back hurts like hell from all of the pressure ive put on my spine.

my wife says i tinker too much but the way i look at it is that right now i feel like i have a good grasp on the fundamental mechanics, which to me is the hardest part to figure out. the grip, the angles, the tempo, the speed...those are all things that will come to you once you get your mechanics down. right now i really dont mind tinkering around trying to make it better because just about every time i do that i end up learning about something that i should be doing, or i learn that im doing something that i shouldnt be doing. and sometimes it takes a radical change of your throw or your darts to figure that out.

i posted a topic here not long after i joined that basically asked this question: if you figure something out that allows you to play better but doesnt feel all that comfortable woudl you keep doing it? that is, maybe is a tempo adjustment or elbow height or a slight change in your grip. you do it for a few days and you realize that you are destroying the board, but you dont FEEL like you have as much control. there is something about it that doesnt feel quite right, but its obviously working. do you keep doing it? or is that measure of control too important to you? i dont know what the right answer is to that, but i know i see guys all the time that appear to be pretty darn good looking at the scores they get but you can tell just by watching them that they really dont have much control over the dart. theyve just made it work for them. like that russian dude that was in the world championships last year and in the world cup this year. clearly the guy can throw, but how much control do you have when you let go of the dart not even halfway through the throw? would you keep doing that if it meant a shot at the ally pally?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aiming on the horisontal / vertical plane mascDK 14 439 02-03-2021, 01:45 PM
Last Post: mascDK
  Vertical Consistency mystiquesbs 0 250 05-23-2020, 06:57 AM
Last Post: mystiquesbs
  Physicly cant hold arm 100% vertical bushmonkey90 0 277 01-24-2018, 11:01 PM
Last Post: bushmonkey90
  Vertical Frustration Grey Owl 22 6,193 12-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Getagrip