Shot Darts

Retro Review: Unicorn John Part WC 25g darts

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mZ0UXhcobY

I say retro review as you can no longer buy these darts.

This particular set was very kindly sent to me (for the forum, so I will put them in a raffle soon) by our resident forum philosopher also known as Troll our Latvian friend Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

So although it not possible to buy them any more I think it could be interesting to revisit some of these no longer available classics Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

Not sure if Troll has the original box but he just sent me the darts in their Unicorn Midi case and they came with the original alloy stems and signature John Part flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

The darts have a simple ring grip design with a nice gently taper to the nose but although the barrel may at first look straight it has a very subtle taper from front to rear, I was a little surprised to find that when measuring the barrels width. The grip level is just about a medium.

DIMENSIONS:

Length

Width:

Detailed dimensions:

WEIGHT:

Barrels are fairly well matched just four hundredths of a gram difference between lightest and heaviest:

Weight of the full setup as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the balance is just front of centre:

With the supplied set up it moves more central:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

Was quite a nice dart to grip for a front gripper:

Darts landed in board just right angle for me Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

CONCLUSION:

I cant remember if I had had some Part WC darts before I do remember having some John Part Latinum ones but the coating was quite chipped when I got them used and I just cant think if I had any other versions, I may have but after having tried these I kind of wish I had got some of the gold ti ones as these throw rather well with my front grip. I did get a bit of fishtailing at first and since I tried some inbetween stems on and they were a lot more stable for me and the balance with my front grip was improved slightly.

I was a bit mixed with trying the centre and rear positions for grip, balance as you may expect felt about best at the centre and as usual for me the rear felt the weirdest but I can see it working quite well for both grips if it is your natural position but I was surprised overall at how well it worked with my front grip.

I would not mind getting hold of a 23g set though, the 25g set I reviewed here was just ever so slightly weighty in my grip, not a massive thing to put me off but I suspect I may do better with the 23g model.

I think it is a pity that when players move to a new company the previous company no longer sell that players darts, I know there is obviously legal issues regarding the use of the players name but surely they could bring out a classics range but without the players signature?

It would be nice to see Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 7 (classic styling)
Grip: 6.5 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (quite close)
Quality: 8 (nice quality)
Value: not applicable as no longer available to buy
Suitability for me: 7.5 (rather well and improved a little with set up change)
Best Feature: Nice balance

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great a nice set looks good and can't get them. But we got a nice review and thanks to the Troll some nice darts reviews by the master.
Thanks you both for making this review possible to enjoy
Wish I had a set of these . :frustrated:

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Cool, nice to see a review of such a classic dart. Great darts these. Owned a gold set in 23 grams, but they were just a tad too long for me.

Great review Grip and thanks to Troll as well.
+1 for Troll for providing the darts and to you for the excellent review.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Another great review +1

How do they compare to a Bristow dart?  Are they similar, just tapered at the nose?

Shall I compare thee to a Bristow dart?
Thou art more tapered and more lovely

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Thanks fellas! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Been a while since I had some Bristows but they were a very decent dart but I think the Parts suited my front grip better Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another great review :thumbup:

These darts are used by loads of players. Nice basic grip and well balanced also 23g are a great dart
may all the doubles be with you

Thanks Fred, yeah I think Robbie Green has a similar barrel and I think Paul Jennings too, I'm sure there is a lot more but cant think of them all.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

And another mighty fine review, and another +1 from me...  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"He wants two eighteens for a hundred thousand pounds..."

My Darts:  Unicorn John Lowe Golden Titanium 21g / Unicorn Sigma Pro 970 Gold 21g / Target Phil Taylor Gen 3 9Five 22g
Cheers Chris Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review and pictures as always. Also well done to troll! That's a great gesture!
Cheers John! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

And Troll! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Quality review. Enjoyed watching it knowing that I couldn't be tempted into buying a set lol nice idea reviewing older darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. cheers Grip and Troll for making this possible
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

LOL you may want to search for some though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review Getagrip 41 26,661 04-25-2021, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Bart
  Cuesoul John Michael Darts Review Getagrip 8 265 04-18-2021, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 796 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 5,144 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 481 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 1,273 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 379 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,757 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa
  Unicorn Raymond van Barneveld World Champion Phase 1 25g darts review Getagrip 24 12,412 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: The Runner
  Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 3 Purist Darts Review Paldini-fc 6 880 04-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Last Post: WhiskyPops