Shot Darts

Playing 501, when do you switch?
This questions always bothered me tbh,  so i am wondering what everyone else does.

So suppose you are playing 501, and start with a couple of poor throws: 41, 45.

Do you stay on the 20's feeling confident that you 'll hit that T20 next turn or do you swith over to the 19's ? 

How do you decide what to do in the flow of the match if you haven't made a good start scoring-wise?

Stay on 20's, switch to the 19's, do a combo of both till you start hitting the required triples?
Ignore the "how you are doing it" in favor of "where you are sending it."
I stick on 20s. If I lose my confidence on em I'm not going to get it back by switching away.
With the first dart I always go for the 20's only of I miss one or two I switch to the 19/18's
Always start on 20s even if I throw a 26 and 41. Continue in 20s, the triple will come, just focus! Only time I switch to 19s / 18s / 17s is when I have less than 200 left and my score is odd. Or I find that the 1st and/or 2nd dart block the T20 bed.
Currently using:  Unicorn Gripper 23G
Best Dart Leg 2018:  14 Darts
180s goal 2018:  41 / 100

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(05-15-2016, 12:02 AM)Ruben Vola Wrote: Always start on 20s even if I throw a 26 and 41. Continue in 20s, the triple will come, just focus! Only time I switch to 19s / 18s / 17s is when I have less than 200 left and my score is odd. Or I find that the 1st and/or 2nd dart block the T20 bed.
I'm the same I don't switch unless it's because 20's are blocked or to get me on a decent finish
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I also never switch from 20's unless the bed is blocked, a dart is loose or I'm setting up an outshot and I totally agree with the thought process that says "if I'm not throwing well enough to hit 20s, I won't be any better on 19's".

Also, I love to see my opponent move from 19's to 20's after a couple of bad visits as it tells me they have no confidence in their ability to get going on the 20's.

What PPT level are you playing at? Chances are, unless you're playing people who finish a game of 501 in 18 darts or less, you'll have plenty of time to get back into the leg. If you hit 41, 41 then 100 you're back to a 60 PPT average.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Or a loose dart indeed like Banz mentioned! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Currently using:  Unicorn Gripper 23G
Best Dart Leg 2018:  14 Darts
180s goal 2018:  41 / 100

When darts block target or its loose. i like play against player when they try one or two rounds on 20 next 19 and then you know his confidence lewel is low Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
If its a longish format i switch after 2-3 legs (losses) I agree with Banz about liking to see opponent switch BUT if he starts hitting bigger scores it can put the pressure back on you....once you have a bit of confidence back head back up there (20's) and see if your nailing them!
Darts - Showtime Revolution 24g, Target Super grip stems, Pentathlon Flights.
Best leg - 16 darts (15 darts- webcam)
Best peg - 146 T20,T18,D16

Thanks for all the replies. So it seems most of you are good and confident enough to stick on the 20 's Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

On another note, i have met great players capable of finishing in 18-21 darts that play exclusively on 19's and they are absolutely destroying them. No 57's, but lots of 133's, 95's and the occassional 171. They also seem very confident to me when they play.

(05-15-2016, 02:04 AM)Banz Wrote: What PPT level are you playing at? Chances are, unless you're playing people who finish a game of 501 in 18 darts or less, you'll have plenty of time to get back into the leg. If you hit 41, 41 then 100 you're back to a 60 PPT average.

I am playing around a low 50 's PPT. So on average, currently it takes me 27-30 darts to finish a 501 game. I think that at this level if you can outscore your opponent, you 'll most probably win.

What i currently do, is a process i named "treble hunting". So i start on 20's and i have decided beforehand that i will switch IF i don't hit the treble. So i am turning for cover to the 19's and going for that 134 's, 96 's or even 58 's. I don't know if it's a good strategy or not, it 's just what i do.

In my mind, when you play 501 it 's a time that you compete. So it ''ll do you no good to stick to 20 's if you aren't hitting them. Plus, if your opponent outscores you, you have to react somehow and keep in touch with the score.
Ignore the "how you are doing it" in favor of "where you are sending it."
(05-15-2016, 12:54 PM)Balin Wrote: Thanks for all the replies. So it seems most of you are good and confident enough to stick on the 20 's Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

On another note, i have met great players capable of finishing in 18-21 darts that play exclusively on 19's and they are absolutely destroying them. No 57's, but lots of 133's, 95's and the occassional 171. They also seem very confident to me when they play.

(05-15-2016, 02:04 AM)Banz Wrote: What PPT level are you playing at?  Chances are, unless you're playing people who finish a game of 501 in 18 darts or less, you'll have plenty of time to get back into the leg.  If you hit 41, 41 then 100 you're back to a 60 PPT average.

I am playing around a low 50 's PPT. So on average, currently it takes me 27-30 darts to finish a 501 game. I think that at this level if you can outscore your opponent, you 'll most probably win.

What i currently do, is a process i named "treble hunting". So i start on 20's and i have decided beforehand that i will switch IF i don't hit the treble. So i am turning for cover to the 19's and going for that 134 's, 96 's or even 58 's. I don't know if it's a good strategy or not, it 's just what i do.

In my mind, when you play 501 it 's a time that you compete. So it ''ll do you no good to stick to 20 's if you aren't hitting them. Plus, if your opponent outscores you, you have to react somehow and keep in touch with the score.

Yeah, we have the odd 19 shooter in the league and they score as well as a good 20 shooter.

My mindset is different to yours.  I ignore my opponent and their score completely; it's of no interest to me except when getting to a finish as it influences whether I set up for 1 dart at the bullseye or leave a double.  But apart from that, I'm just trying to throw well.  To that end I am just trying to put three good darts in the 20's.  If I do that then the 100's are likely to follow but I have had games where my first 6 visits will be 60, 60, 60, 45, 60, 41.  If that happens I don't beat myself up and I don't switch.

I do have nights where I can't hit anything and, for me, switching to 19's doesn't help.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Me too, I don't switch unless it's because 20's are blocked or to I would be on a decent finish Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
DartBoard at home: Winmau Blade 4, Gladiator III One 80
DartBoard at club  : Winmau Blade 5 / DC /

Best checkout - 151
Best dart leg   -  18 darts

Darts used: 23g - Target Distinction Orion Pixel
(05-14-2016, 09:10 PM)Balin Wrote: This questions always bothered me tbh,  so i am wondering what everyone else does.

Do you stay on the 20's feeling confident that you 'll hit that T20 next turn or do you swith over to the 19's ? 

How do you decide what to do in the flow of the match if you haven't made a good start scoring-wise?

Stay on 20's, switch to the 19's, do a combo of both till you start hitting the required triples?

I believe that people who doggedly stick at the 20 when they 'comfortably' Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. with the first dart are destined to become your low average players. As most would know I religiously practise my key trebles routine and if my first dart goes astray or blocks the T20 I'm confident enough to immediately switch and more often than not, hit the T19 with one of my remaining darts.

Look at the pro's they do it all the time, it makes me smile to watch some players that I know who only ever throw at the 20 in matches or in practice. They're too 1-dimensional and are not improving their skill level at all and true to form if the T20 is blocked they just throw and get a 26 or 41 etc
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(05-15-2016, 11:27 PM)Dorian Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 09:10 PM)Balin Wrote: This questions always bothered me tbh,  so i am wondering what everyone else does.

I believe that people who doggedly stick at the 20 when they 'comfortably' Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. with the first dart are destined to become your low average players. As most would know I religiously practise my key trebles routine and if my first dart goes astray or blocks the T20 I'm confident enough to immediately switch and more often than not, hit the T19 with one of my remaining darts.

Look at the pro's they do it all the time, it makes me smile to watch some players that I know who only ever throw at the 20 in matches or in practice. They're too 1-dimensional and are not improving their skill level at all and true to form if the T20 is blocked they just throw and get a 26 or 41 etc

Dorian makes a great point here about knowing your game and deliberate practice.  Dorian knows to switch after a bad dart, and hours of practice has given him the confidence and ability to switch well.  He's not blindly switching simply because 20's aren't working for him.

I personally stick with 20's and back myself to finish up with as many 85's as I would 81's from a switch to 19's.  To that extent I too know my game.  I'm not good enough to hit a big treble every visit so I realistically have to accept some 40-odd scores when I hit a 5 or 1 first dart and that's true whether I switch or not.

So if you want to go treble hunting then practice it as Dorian does.  That way when you switch in a game you're doing it as a positive step (moving onto T19's) rather than a negative one (moving off 20's).

(05-16-2016, 12:04 AM)Banz Wrote:
(05-15-2016, 11:27 PM)Dorian Wrote:

Dorian makes a great point here about knowing your game and deliberate practice.  Dorian knows to switch after a bad dart, and hours of practice has given him the confidence and ability to switch well.  He's not blindly switching simply because 20's aren't working for him.

I personally stick with 20's and back myself to finish up with as many 85's as I would 81's from a switch to 19's.  To that extent I too know my game.  I'm not good enough to hit a big treble every visit so I realistically have to accept some 40-odd scores when I hit a 5 or 1 first dart and that's true whether I switch or not.

So if you want to go treble hunting then practice it as Dorian does.  That way when you switch in a game you're doing it as a positive step (moving onto T19's) rather than a negative one (moving off 20's).
 Thanks Banz,

Another good point about switching is that if your first dart is way off 'muscle memory' can easily and automatically make the others follow  :dodgy:  so the benefit of switching early in my case is that I can break the loop and refocus.,....this works well for me at least.

But importantly this only works if you REGULARLY practice for it. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dart switch Blue_note 4 589 11-18-2020, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Blue_note
  Playing on your own v Playing against an opponent Dan180 6 509 02-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Dan180
  Should I switch stem size Tez Tickle 15 2,335 05-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Wave 180
  Switch darts, or stick with the "old faithfuls"? JohnK 35 12,422 10-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Dorian