Harrows Darts.

How I'm Practicing Now - Does It Make Sense?
I'm committing myself to a practice routine, really for the first time ever in darts.  One of the things I quickly realized was that I didn't have a consistent stroke.  So, that is my major area of focus right now.  I've been setting a goal for myself to hit a certain number of specific targets each day.  This is in addition to the "A1" practice from Flight School.

So, here's what I did tonight:

50 Bullseyes
10 Treble 20's
10 Double 16's
A1 with 20's, 19's, 18's and 16's

Over the last two weeks I've grown it from hitting 20 Bullseyes and A1, to 30 bulls and A1, etc.  adding more targets.  Also, if I have just a few minutes during the day I'll shoot a couple of rounds of Bob's 27.

I want to add more practice at finishing, but right now I'm still focusing on stroke development and I feel like the heavy emphasis on bulls is helping with that.  I want to eventually start shifting away from Bulls and more towards double's and practicing particular check outs.  I really like John Parts idea of practicing every check out from 2 and counting up. I want to add something like that for time and seeing how high I can get in say 15 to 20 minutes.

What do you think?  Does this make sense for someone who is really at the beginning stages?
Id include to that 60 (20T), 57 (19T) 54 (18T), 45 (15T), 42 (14T), as worthy countdowns

32, 16, 8, 4, 2 as endings
40, 20, 10, 5 as endings
Valencia/Spain

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I concentrate on double 1 as it's where I usually end up!
There are a lot of exercises which you could read on the net, rotating around the clock, doubles game and etc. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
DartBoard at home: Winmau Blade 4, Gladiator III One 80
DartBoard at club  : Winmau Blade 5 / DC /

Best checkout - 151
Best dart leg   -  18 darts

Darts used: 23g - Target Distinction Orion Pixel
(05-13-2016, 03:34 AM)chaddukes Wrote: I'm committing myself to a practice routine, really for the first time ever in darts.  One of the things I quickly realized was that I didn't have a consistent stroke.  So, that is my major area of focus right now.  I've been setting a goal for myself to hit a certain number of specific targets each day.  This is in addition to the "A1" practice from Flight School.

So, here's what I did tonight:

50 Bullseyes
10 Treble 20's
10 Double 16's
A1 with 20's, 19's, 18's and 16's

Over the last two weeks I've grown it from hitting 20 Bullseyes and A1, to 30 bulls and A1, etc.  adding more targets.  Also, if I have just a few minutes during the day I'll shoot a couple of rounds of Bob's 27.

I want to add more practice at finishing, but right now I'm still focusing on stroke development and I feel like the heavy emphasis on bulls is helping with that.  I want to eventually start shifting away from Bulls and more towards double's and practicing particular check outs.  I really like John Parts idea of practicing every check out from 2 and counting up. I want to add something like that for time and seeing how high I can get in say 15 to 20 minutes.

What do you think?  Does this make sense for someone who is really at the beginning stages?

That's a good, structured practice routine. 

It sounds as if you are keen to put some thought into it so here's some reading from the forum you might find useful...
  • This thread (and article) from davidsproull talks about the different sorts of practice.
  • This thread by Dorian talks about Deliberate Practice; analysing your game and working on the weaknesses.

In my opinion, all practice is not created equal. You might want to consider these different types of practice...

One type of practice is "Practicing the mechanics of your throw".  During this type of practice some or all of your focus maybe on how you're delivering the dart.  You might not yet be "doing it naturally" or you might be making sure certain parts of your throw are actually happening as you want.  (For me it has always been grip and follow through.)  If you're just trying to groove your throw so that it's the same time every time then a low pressure routine will be best.  For this I'd say a thorough warm up including A2 followed by A1 is perfect.  I really believe that A1 is a very accurate indicator of how well you're throwing.  If you finish it quickly with a high percentage of 3 hit visits then you'll score well at 501 for sure. 

Another type of practice is "Practicing certain aspects of the game".  This could be hitting doubles, setup shots or scoring on 20's.  I wouldn't be thinking too much about the mechanics at this stage, but they should definitely be holding up.  You want to be throwing the same in this practice as you were in the "grooving your throw" practice session.

Yet another type of practice is "Match practice".  This is playing in match type circumstances. Maybe this is against an app like Pro Darter or your friends or team mates.  This, for me, is the final part of practice and I personally do not do this type of practice every session.  This is where you stress test your mechanics to see how it all holds up.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
i had to stop throwing at bull for practice because i kept tearing up boards like crazy. once you beat up the bull its pretty much done for. and not only that but the rings around the bulls i end up hitting and after a while it makes a gouge in the ring and that by itself causes a bunch of bounce outs.

ive posted this quite a few times but heres my normal daily practice routine. each part is structured to help certain parts of my game. like the poster above said, there are different facets of practice but they are all important. i learned early on that some of the little things that nobody really mentions often are some of the most important (like counting and being able to set up shots quickly)

first ill warm up by doing some unofficial A1 stuff - meaning i dont count it, i just throw at 20, then 19, 18, etc to warm up.

ill play a couple of games of cricket against a bot just to get myself in a solid rhythm.

Bobs 27 - or if you really suck at doubles then just play doubles clock where you throw 3 at D1 and count your score, throw 3 at D2 and count your score, etc. otherwise youll get frustrated at only throwing up to around D8 or D9. ive also split it up and do evens a few times then do odds just to break the monotony of throwing at the same sequence every time. when i first started playing this i pretty much couldnt make it past around 8 or 9 most of the time so i just modified it and gave myself two turns instead of 1. youd be surprised how well you can do on that second turn after throwing 3 at it already. most people simply arent going to throw two turns at every single double but when you make a game out of it then you have some motivation to do well.

play a couple games of 301 against a bot - i like doing 301 while practicing because you get more throws at double and you have to rely on counting and strategy a lot more and a lot sooner than with 501. ive now gotten into the habit of doing this via double in and double out.

61 Out - this is a game on an app i have on my tablet. basically you start with 61 and have 3 darts to get out. if you hit it, then you add 10. if you miss, you subtract 1. so if you miss on 61 then now you have 60. if you hit it then you now have 71, etc. you can start this on anything if you are a beginner. start at 21, or 41 or whatever. this helps me tremendously with figuring out what to throw at all the time. if you play this enough and take the time to think a shot or two ahead it will help your game immensely. it boggles my mind that some of the people i play with in league dont think through their out and only think one shot at a time. the only time i really "practice" throwing at bull (if you can even call it that) is playing this game. if i know i cant get out and have a dart left then i will throw at bull. when i first started using this app i really wasnt very good and didnt hit hardly any of these. so i modified it a little. instead of just 3 darts i would give myself 2 turns. when im practicing with someone who isnt very good we play this game a lot and we take turns throwing at the out until we hit it or bust, subtracting our score each turn. so if its 61 and he throws a 20, then ill throw at 41, and so on until we hit it or bust. its really good practice. also this helps practice the move overlooked part of the game in my opinion, which is throwing at a single number to set up a double. having to take out 13 to leave 40 or 9 to leave 32 can mess you up big time if you never practice it. 53 and 41 have burned me many, many, many times in matches. this helps tremendously with that. its just not something a lot of people practice very much, even given its importance.

Denis' Triples - this is another app that i have. basically you start with 10 and you aim at the triple. throw 3 then throw at 11, then 12, etc. you get 3 points for triple, 2 for double, and 1 for single. although i dont really count doubles as i think that if you hit a double when you are throwing at single or triple then you missed and shouldnt really get rewarded. hitting double when you need single or triple will hurt you more times than help you, by far.

if you are a beginner and are still trying to master A1 without throwing your darts through the wall then i would suggest this: at the beginning of your practice do a few rounds of A1. then go to another practice game like the ones above. when you finish do another couple rounds of A1. (rounds meaning go through every number). another practice game, another few rounds of A1. i love A1 and i love the theory behind it, but i found that after a while of throwing at the same number over and over and over and over again i would go into zombie mode and just start chucking the darts up there in hopes of finishing the exercise. thats NOT how you want to practice. so i found that doing a few rounds of A1 then throwing at just doubles helped me concentrate a lot better. plus i liked being able to see improvement in aiming at singles just after throwing at doubles. so instead of making A1 your main practice, use it as a filler between other stuff. you will no doubt see a lot of improvement and you will enjoy it a lot more.

i do this at the beginning of my routine but i will pick out 5 or 6 targets and throw at them just like A3 (meaning you dont throw all 3 darts at it, you throw and if you hit it, you throw at the next one and if you miss all of them then you move on the second target with your next turn). i use to pick out about 7 or 8 targets and go through about 2 rounds in between every practice game but the sessions would last for 4 or 5 days it seems like, so now i just pick about 5 targets, usually alternating triples and doubles. and ill try to get at least 3 of each one. sometimes when im done with all my practicing ill try to finish that up, but usually im ok with what i have done so far.

i dont always go in this order. i almost always use A3 in between whatever i do, but it really just depends on how i feel that day. sometimes i will do bobs 27 between games or i will play 301 between games. it really just depends on my mood. anyway, sorry for rambling. hope this helps in some way.

MC
(05-13-2016, 08:44 AM)mark-essex Wrote: I concentrate on double 1 as it's where I usually end up!

Lmao - even the Pros go there here and there so yes practice the D-1
Thanks mcockrell for the well thought out post.  I have started to notice the area around my bullseye is starting to look a little rough.

What are the names of those apps that you referenced?
the practice app that i use is called darts partner. its has several little games on there that you might like.

100 darts triple - basically you pick a number and throw 100 darts at it. i believe you get 3 points for trip, 2 for double, and 1 for single. i dont really use it because i dont throw that many times at one number in a row.

denis triples - referenced this above. you start at 10 and aim for triple. again 3 for trip, 2 for double, 1 for single, then you move to 11, then 12, etc. i use this all the time.

thousands - i this name is a bit of a misnomer. from what i can see it looks like you aim at triple 20 and you take 10 turns and try to get a high score?

bobs 27 - referenced above. you start with 27 points. throw at double 1. if you hit then you get those number of points and if you miss then you subtract that number. so if you hit 1 double throwing at 1 then you have 29 points, if you hit 2 doubles then you have 31, etc. if you miss you have 25. after 3 throws you go to double 2, then double 3, etc. if you miss every time then i think you end up losing after double 5 (when you get to 0 or negative then you lose and have to start over). when i first started i just gave myself 2 turns at each number. at least that way i ended up getting past 5 more often than not.

double clock - you might like this if you arent good at doubles. its a doubles game but you basically go through every number and you get 1 point for every double you hit. it guarantees you to go around the board but not really as challenging as bobs 27. still very good for practice though.

2 double clock - the same as double clock but you have to get 2 or 3 doubles to get a point. this is pretty fun to play if you arent good at doubles, just give yourself two turns.

100 darts bull - never played this because it will chew up your bull area but basically you throw 100 darts at bull and you get 1 point for a single bull and 2 points for a double bull.

61 Up - referenced above. you start with a 61 out and have 3 darts to get the out. for some reason there are scoring options of 3 darts and 2 darts but i havent really seen any difference in your score whether you get it in 2 darts or 3. again, if you are a beginner then just modify it where you give yourself 2 turns OR just count your score down until you either get it or bust. this really helps you with counting, learning outs, and picking out specific numbers for set up shots. i used to play this all the time but its helped me improve so much that now it takes forever to play a game. you start with 61 out. if you make it then the target increases by 10. if you miss it then it decreases by 1. so if you miss then youre new target is 60. if you make that then it goes to 70, etc. the game is over when you miss 10 consecutive outs.

the best thing about this app is that it stores your scores. it doesnt do it by default but at the end of every game you have the option of saving it (you just have to remember to do it). you can reset the scores at any time. i like it that way because i can practice with friends just having fun and making up our own rules and it wont mess up my stats. it keeps a record of your highest score and has graphs to show you how you are progressing.

the bot program i use is called darts scoreboard. its ok. i dont really like the logic built into it. it seems the bots do better when you do better, etc. but it has a lot of features and keeps up with a lot of stats. it has custom scoring (so you can play with someone else and you can start with 701 and they can start with 501, etc), double in feature, you can customize the number of legs, sets, etc. and it does cricket and 01. one of the features i like is that it not only shows you outs when you have one but also shows set up shots. like if you have 215 left it will give you like 3 options of what to hit to get down to a certain number. its not perfect but its decent. its the best that ive found so far. most of them are either wildly inconsistent or the curve is so steep that it becomes unplayable. you can also customize the match stats that it shows during the game. you can see your highest score, your 3 dart average, 1 dart average, etc.

so anyway, i hope at least some of this helps a bit. good luck!

MC
Yes.  That helps a great deal.  Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get an extra set or just keep practicing? Aziraphale 2 445 01-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Aziraphale
  Benifits of practicing with a buddy. Mac-attack99 6 962 06-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Last Post: DirtyDale
  Doubles Practicing lewlewlew1984 5 663 02-27-2018, 02:28 AM
Last Post: ranger86