Target Darts.

Struggling with my throw and need outside advice.
Ok I've been around darts off and on for over 20 years playing in leagues as well as social darts however I'm fresh back from roughly a 2 year break possibly a bit less. I've not played league darts for roughly 4 years now and I've started practicing again at home however I'm struggling with my throw and my game so I thought I'd ask for some outside advice. 

I'm normally the type of player than pick any set or darts any weight and shape and throw them well, everyone used to say my throw was so smooth and my darts fly true I could use any dart and play well and win most games I'd play. For many years I used phase 5 in 26g and I used to try out just about every new set on the market but I always would go back to phase 5 in 26g, I never used other sets for more than 20 - 30 mins it was simply me just trying new stuff as I bought and sold / swapped so many sets.

Recently bought Taylor gen 3 in 26g but I'm not sure if it's the darts which simply don't suit or they are too heavy, takes a while to get them going and I find a lot fly too high and are a bit all over the place and not consistent at all. Tried different flights and stems but no significant difference and my middle finger feels like it's interfering with my throw ( difficult to explain ) my son 8 years old asked if he could play and I said yes so he got his darts which are the smooth ted Hanley 12g I think they are and after a short game I used his darts and they felt good straight away no middle finger issue and no battle with weight they simply went smooth and consistent.

I'm now battling with my head to see if I should go lighter and different darts or keep going as I'm not long back playing, I normally now my game and throw inside out and rarely have any issues with my throw or technique so any ideas lads.
Quote:Taylor gen 3 in 26g - I find a lot fly too high and are a bit all over the place and not consistent at all... my middle finger feels like it's interfering with my throw
ted Hanley 12g - they felt good straight away no middle finger issue and no battle with weight they simply went smooth and consistent
Based on what you say there I'd be looking for similar to the Ted Hankeys as you seem to be more comfortable with them straight off.  It might just be that your grip doesn't suit the Taylors anymore.  When I got back into darts I changed from a Lowe to a slim lighter dart because they felt better for me now.
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Did your grip changed when you returned to game ?
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I don't think my grip or throw has changed since I returned.
I would suspect something had to change. Grip, stance, rhythm of throw, how high you hold your arm, the way you focus on the target... And it sounds like you had supreme confidence in your old darts. Maybe that has been lost over time. I floundered for a year trying to develop a throw. Then I had surgery on my elbow. Shortly thereafter, I started developing my own individual throw. I found it with a set of 12g darts. Slowly, as my throw progressed I found improvement with heavier darts. First a set of 17g, then 20g, and now I am throwing a set of 22g. (Though I still feel good with the 20g). If those Hankeys feel good, get some for yourself. Move back up in weight only as it feels good to you. Don't try to duplicate the past. I suggest you go with what gives you confidence now. Good luck.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Best advice you could ever receive...get some hankeys Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
So, you took a break and are now back into darts.    I read your post a couple times but I don't see any mention of how long you're back into the game this time around.    It could be you just need to get comfortable at the oche again and get a bit of steady practice time back in the game for your form to return.

Perhaps you're focusing on how you use to play and hit things easier than now and are getting frustrated at the lack of, or slow progress.    Give it time before purchasing a whole bunch of darts.    There's a good bit of difference between the 26 gram Taylor darts and those super light Hankey's.      That is a heck of a swing in weight and style.   Maybe you've finally found a dart you don't throw well right out the box.    Happens to me all the time.   LOL
Hi thanks for all the advice and to answer a question I'm only back playing for a couple of weeks or so and I've not played every night either, normally I'm able to take a set of darts out the box and and throw them well pretty much straight away and then after the honeymoon period I then find them not as good.

I've got plenty of darts in my collection to be trying if I need however I'm thinking I should use my phase 5 in 26g and see how they go and if I find after a few good sessions they aren't any good I need to start over again right from the beginning with light darts and see how that works.

The only darts I remember I found no good were Andy Hamilton's current darts but even then they were flying ok etc not quite hitting what I wanted, thanks for the advice I will keep looking at the advice given and let you know how I get on.
The Hankeys are famed darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. and the lighter ones are great for working towards a nice smooth and consistent throw.
If as you say, you can throw just about any set of darts then your mechanics are sound.
I would try something slightly lighter and longer than the PT Phase 5s. Maybe something in the 21-23 gram range.

2017 180's: 2/150.
Guess I'm going to keep an eye out for some Hankeys in 23g and give them a try and you never know I mat get lucky and pick a set up cheap.
Quick update which some may find interesting, anyway I spent some time trying other darts in my collection which were different weights and different styles and also I tried different flight shapes and different stems.

Tried 5 different sets of darts and quickly found the grouping was good and my rhythm good, scoring was decent and although not to the standard I expect but the darts pretty much went where I was aiming so I got of my phase 5 Rosso out to see what I could do.

Quickly found my game with them and hitting trebles and doubles with a few bull shots, a lesson for me and perhaps others simply some darts won't work for you so ditch them before it damages ones confidence ? Gen 3 Taylor gone and never to return.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Struggling with the 1st dart eskoo 1 199 04-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Last Post: UncleJJ
  Struggling with Throw and Release joelrussell19 4 480 02-05-2020, 04:47 AM
Last Post: YoungStarDC
  Advice for my throw Stefan Gusko 9 602 05-25-2019, 10:00 PM
Last Post: 5or1
  cant find a throw or grip that feels right, need advice Liam Twigg 7 995 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dj_stat8
  Struggling in matches Namesoom 5 426 12-04-2017, 03:23 AM
Last Post: Banz
  Struggling in most areas... clem1995 21 1,542 08-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Last Post: nightcrawler
  developed a bad habit with throw need some advice gunner88 4 832 04-15-2017, 01:00 AM
Last Post: barcrusher
  Advice on darts and throw please :) ross.e 3 747 01-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Last Post: ross.e
  My Throw advice appreciated:) smithshane05 11 1,397 11-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Great White North
  Struggling to find a comfortable grip? twiggy 11 3,779 04-25-2016, 08:59 AM
Last Post: TheCrane180