Harrows Darts.

Punching flights?
OK, at the risk of sounding like a complete newbie here, what does it mean when I read about punching flights? 

Does the hole then allow the fitting of those champagne rings? Do they help keep the flight in place?

I've used Fit Flights almost since I first started throwing soft tips so I'm completely alien to the idea. 

Thanks...
Cosmo Fit Point Plus tips
Trinidad Jet 18 gram barrels
Cosmo Carbon size 8 shafts, large, Orange super kite air flights  

Phoenix ID - [PIRATES] Pughdog
VDarts H2 - pughdog
(05-09-2016, 12:30 PM)Nick Pugh Wrote: OK, at the risk of sounding like a complete newbie here, what does it mean when I read about punching flights? 

Does the hole then allow the fitting of those champagne rings? Do they help keep the flight in place?

I've used Fit Flights almost since I first started throwing soft tips so I'm completely alien to the idea. 

Thanks...
yeah you can get the whizlock punch or l style champagne punch. Or you can get a regular hole punch which is for the pigeon rings or slot lock rings. So much variety these days haha
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Quote:what does it mean when I read about punching flights?
It means you wont be spending a lot of time constantly picking up your flights off the floor. 

I don't know what champagne ring is but I use pigeon rings and yes they are fitted in a slotted hole you've punched, then you slot your flight onto the stem.  It really grips well and can save a lot of stem breakages too from another dart hitting it (i.e. robinhood).
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
And yeah they help keep the flights in place and protect from ant breakage caused by robin hoods
You can get different shaped punches to allow for champagne caps or standard rings

it simply punches a small hole at the bottom of the flight that the ring/cap sits in as the flight is added to the stem

vastly decreases flights popping off and can help keep stems in one piece if you robin hood..I personally use titanium lock rings and it has majorly increased stem life and flights never pop off

With a regular punch you can't put in champagne cups, only with a L-style shell lock punch you can put in shell locks which are similar to champagne cups. With a regular punch you can place springs or titanium rings through the flight which from personal experience do make the flight stick better.
Wow, it's a whole new world!

I knew there must be a way to stop flights flying off all the time.
Cosmo Fit Point Plus tips
Trinidad Jet 18 gram barrels
Cosmo Carbon size 8 shafts, large, Orange super kite air flights  

Phoenix ID - [PIRATES] Pughdog
VDarts H2 - pughdog
(05-09-2016, 12:59 PM)Nick Pugh Wrote: Wow, it's a whole new world!

To be fair I stopped punching my flights a while ago as it was too much hassle and flights popping off avoid bigger deflections
Thumbs Up 

I not long started punching my flights and are very happy with how they go. I bought the Harrows punch, used it on an old set of flight as a tester then on a set of new flights and haven't had to change a set over yet. I would've been using this set up for a month and I haven't had a flight pop off yet, I'm using Harrows supergrip spinners with Harrows flights and Target titanium slot lock ring.

Darts - Showtime Revolution 24g, Target Super grip stems, Pentathlon Flights.
Best leg - 16 darts (15 darts- webcam)
Best peg - 146 T20,T18,D16

(05-09-2016, 01:01 PM)Walker Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 12:59 PM)Nick Pugh Wrote: Wow, it's a whole new world!

To be fair I stopped punching my flights a while ago as it was too much hassle and flights popping off avoid bigger deflections
I agree with what you say Walker, I use them on my practice darts to avoid the distraction of flights constantly popping off or breaking stems.  It's been a god send from... Ohh my back Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

In match situation I don't use them for the reason you state "flights popping off avoid bigger deflections" :thumbup:
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
(05-09-2016, 01:21 PM)Swiiiitch Wrote:

I agree with what you say Walker, I use them on my practice darts to avoid the distraction of flights constantly popping off or breaking stems.  It's been a god send from... Ohh my back Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

In match situation I don't use them for the reason you state "flights popping off avoid bigger deflections" :thumbup:

I may cop a barrage for this but can i ask if you have tried it with Tridents and Spin shafts? I only ask cause that's what i'm using and i'm not finding i'm getting deflections like you say....having said that you may be much better groupers than me.
Darts - Showtime Revolution 24g, Target Super grip stems, Pentathlon Flights.
Best leg - 16 darts (15 darts- webcam)
Best peg - 146 T20,T18,D16

(05-09-2016, 01:32 PM)Yesmmm Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 01:21 PM)Swiiiitch Wrote:

In match situation I don't use them for the reason you state "flights popping off avoid bigger deflections"

I may cop a barrage for this but can i ask if you have tried it with Tridents and Spin shafts? I only ask cause that's what i'm using and i'm not finding i'm getting deflections like you say....having said that you may be much better groupers than me.
All spinners work well with punched flights as they spin to avoid deflections instead of popping the flight off, I've used punched flights with pro grip spins and they work well I just don't like the pro grip spins as mine rattled sometimes
@Yesmmm
I do use Tridents and they work really well to protect your flights and do help against some deflections.  

It's when a flight in the dart you are throwing makes contact with the flight on a dart in the board that's where darts can take a funky last move.  If the flight is not gripped in the shaft too hard it easily comes off leaving the dart to continue its rightful path.
I hate having a flight pop off. Watching a dart being decapitated is such a psych-out to me. It guarantees the rest of the darts in my hand are doomed. I championed aluminum stems because they would hold flights better. But, everyone knows why aluminum isn't the best.

I waited way too long to try a slot-lock punch. I was worried about defacing my carefully chosen flights with a big hole. Turns out, the hole is so small as to be insignificant. I was worried about punching the slot crooked. I purchased a Harrows punch and after punching several dozen sets of flights, I have not had a single mis-aligned punch, even with small weird shaped flights. I was worried about the microscopic fiddling of small bits in a dark bar. Turns out, the rings are easy to insert into the flight, and as a bonus, they tend to stay there, even if disconnected from the stem, unless the flight gets folded flat. I have had a flight pop off, but the ring stayed in the flight for easy re-insertion onto the stem. I was worried about losing expensive slot lock rings. Turns out, your average beefy spring works just as well as the slot-lock rings. The springs actually work better as they fit more stems correctly, while the slot-lock rings don't fit all stems. Just do it. I did and I am glad. I say skip the champagne caps and Whiz-locks. Get a Harrows slot-lock punch and some good sturdy springs and stay nylon. Don't tell Larry I said this, I hate thinking of him gloating.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

If you are going to give the punch a go I couldn't reccomend the titanium lock rings highly enough!!you will only ever need one set of them (as long as you don't lose them when changing flights) and increases stem life massively