Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Am I breaking too many shafts?
Hi guys. I'm a noob.

Been playing a bit more soft tip regularly of late but am plagued by breaking shafts on my darts. OK, plagued is probably an exaggeration but having broke a few normal shafts I invested in some Fit Flight Carbon shafts thinking these would be better. 2 sets of these later and I'm starting to wonder why I bothered. To clarify, they're breaking when the darts hit the floor rather than when they hit the board. (obviously!) 

So I guess the real problem is the darts hitting the floor so often. 

I use 20g barrels, not crazy heavy, as I prefer the feel of a slightly heavier dart than many of the lightweight set ups out here in Asia. 

I've experimented between carbons of different lengths and now just switched back to normal Fit Flight hybrid 6's. Yesterday after maybe 3 or 4 games my dart hit the floor, snapped and left me using 2 darts for the rest of the match  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Maybe it's my throw? I seem to have more bounce outs than normal, sometimes during the throw I can see the dart almost veering sideways as it leaves my hand before straightening up as it nears the board. 

I've got reasonably big hands, nothing freaky, so prefer the longer shafts, (6 or 7 Fit Flights) other wise I feel the flight brush against my hand as I release. This makes the veering problem much worse. 

Any advice much appreciated before I go off and order yet more shafts  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cosmo Fit Point Plus tips
Trinidad Jet 18 gram barrels
Cosmo Carbon size 8 shafts, large, Orange super kite air flights  

Phoenix ID - [PIRATES] Pughdog
VDarts H2 - pughdog
Invest in a bunch of new tips. Try them all. If you get things dialed in you really shouldn't be getting a lot of bounce outs.

But to be fair, a 20g barrel is on the heavy side of things. That's what I play with and my total dart weighs 22.3 grams. But I use L Style Lip Points and bounce outs are fairly rare. I play on an Arachnid board

EDIT.... Also try out some new flights. Flights really don't matter all that much in soft tip because once the dart hits the board they all stick out at the same angle. Try a smaller flight that gives you a more direct/faster throw and flies flat. From what I've seen a flat, direct throw leads to less bounce outs. If you have a loopy throw and the dart is dropping into the board that = bounce out city. Which in your case takes you right next door to Snap city. And that's no fun Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Only tips mate
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I forgot to mention the tips. This week I bought some Cosmo fit point plus tips and instantly noticed a difference, those suckers stick like crazy the first few games. I definitely got fewer bounce outs and I assumed my problem was solved.

How often do you change out your tips? The next day I went along, fitted the new shafts and flights and as I say, boom, broke a shaft within minutes.

Tips are cheap, is it extravagant to change them out each time I visit the darts bar?

VDarts H2 - pughdog
I edited. Make sure you look into flights. What are you using now?
What kind of boards are you using?

You said stem breakage occurs when your darts hit the floor. Suggest rubber mats to the pub or board owner. We have them in most of our bars in CA.
(05-07-2016, 03:13 AM)Cyanide Wrote: I edited. Make sure you look into flights. What are you using now?

I just changed from Fit Flight standard to try some shapes, they're a tiny bit smaller I guess. 

It sounds like it's definitely down to the flight of my dart as it's not fast and flat as you described. I've seen guys throwing that way and it looks so much less complicated than my loopy, spinny flight that sometimes hits the board almost sideways Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

VDarts H2 - pughdog
(05-07-2016, 03:21 AM)majeek Wrote: What kind of boards are you using?

You said stem breakage occurs when your darts hit the floor. Suggest rubber mats to the pub or board owner. We have them in most of our bars in CA.

Been playing on the Phoenix boards a lot recently. The bar has mats directly below the boards but occasionally when a dart falls in-between the mats and at exactly the wrong angle, crunch. 

I also bought a cheap board for practicing at home. I definitely get more bounce / fall outs of this board than anywhere else. This may weaken the shafts if they're continuously hitting the floor I guess. The wife wasn't too pleased me putting the board up, I doubt she'll stand for me then putting mats down etc. Perhaps a better practice board would be part of the solution too....

VDarts H2 - pughdog
Bounce out is common thing in the soft tip world.
What Cosmo stem Gear do you use?

I use Medium stems - the regular nylon type.

Cosmo points are good with Phoenix boards.

Try Condor set up. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Not the best help mate,but I have seizures when my arm , and leg cant move . And it`s the worst when I  think about seizures. Just play mate.and those deflection will be less  .Don`t think about them. BTW did your average drop`t when drop out`s started ?
180-1(33)

Thats crazy I use fit point plus and cosmo carbon #3 on my 21g darts and havent broke one yet and I use lip point on my 20g target 9five gen 3 and l-shafts and no breaks lip points and fit point plus are the best but havent tried the lippoint premium
Darts Used:

Soft Tip - Target Rob Cross Soft Tip, Pro Grip Inbetween Shafts, Target Shape Flight, Tiga Hyper Point Tips
I find I can use smaller flights on my light darts 16 gram and under total weight,,,,, when I get into the 18-20 gram weight I require larger flights to make my darts land flat into the board soft and steel tip ,,,,I always use a steel tip board and a set of Lip Point Carbon conversion points to set up my soft tips to land flat into the board ,,, as soon as I find the magic combination of flight and stem ,,, off come the Carbon Lip points ,,,, The steel tip board will tell you more about your throw than anything,,,,,,

Also I have found what works for me is usually the opposite of most folks here ,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Oh and about the shaft problem ,,, I did the same thing 2x ,,, I swore off Fit Gear and Fit Flights ,,,, But today I am throwing #2 Fit carbon shafts and standard size Fit Flight Air flights on my 20 gram darts and so far no breaks,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(05-07-2016, 04:09 AM)0ldjoblo Wrote: I find I can use smaller flights on my light darts 16 gram and under total weight,,,,, when I get into the 18-20 gram weight I require larger flights to make my darts land flat into the board soft and steel tip ,,,,I always use a steel tip board and a set of Lip Point Carbon conversion points to set up my soft tips to land flat into the board ,,, as soon as I find the magic combination of flight and stem ,,, off come the Carbon Lip points ,,,, The steel tip board will tell you more about your throw than anything,,,,,,

Also I have found what works for me is usually the opposite of most folks here ,,, Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

So it sounds like I was going the wrong way, fitting smaller flights to try and straighten my darts up. I should actually be going bigger? I'll try throwing into a steel tip board and see what it tells me, i.e., what angle they're going in at. I'll come back with findings...

VDarts H2 - pughdog
My current set up from from tip to flight is...

Cosmo Fit Point Plus tips
20 gram Shot barrels (52mm long)
Fit Shaft GEAR Hybrid spinning size 6 shafts
Fit Flight Shape flights

VDarts H2 - pughdog

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fit points Plus breaking segments on Grand Board 3 McBoing 31 2,133 03-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Last Post: McBoing
  Carbon shafts breaking (bounce out) blanktch 18 3,735 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Last Post: smkizzle