Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

What would you do?
Hi, I am an average dart player and have asked questions before however this time the question is about what direction to take instead of how to help me become better.  I have used storm points (please keep reading) in three sets of darts.  One set done by a company selling darts and installing the storm points when you buy new darts.  I did this and two of the three dart points broke on a bounce out and fall out.

I then purchased my own repointer and installed new storm points using the help of making a bevel edge with a drill and made sure the darts had a bevel on the inside edge of the darts.  I used a closeup lens to see the edge before installing the points to make sure there was room for the point budge that has been described in others posts, there was a bevel but it did not help.  A gold point on my new darts that I installed the 30mm Gold storms broke inside the barrel again.  My 3rd dart out of 9.

All broken points are 30mm Gold points in Joe Cullen 22g golden and John Part 22g golden Unicorn darts, all broke on bounce outs or fall out and after hitting the floor.  Only one on hard flooring ceramic tile the other two on normal wood or tile flooring.
One question is should I just change to black storm points forget the gold, look at 26mm gold points, go to silver 26 or 30mm or give up on storm points?

If I was a pro that would be it for storm points because tonight I finished playing with two John Part and one Joe Cullen dart because all three still had a gold 30mm point where I put my finger as a setup to shooting.  It just felt good at that moment even using 2 different darts. But I am not a pro and like the feel when gripping the front of the dart and point and yes it does feel different then the standart points which came with the darts.

I think using different darts this is not a good idea for the future, however I will not get this John Part dart fixed by next week and the Joe Cullen darts don't fit the Cosmo shaft without me sanding off the bottom non thread area.  Yes I have six of these Joe Cullen darts that have problems holding any nylon shaft with a non thread area of more then 1/16th of an inch.  Why there is no standards for 2ba depth on the barrel and shaft size depth is beyond me.  Most on this website seem to like nylon over metal but metal shafts don't seem to be different at the thread area where nylon vary and for me and my darts it counts.
However, is it a bad idea to continue to use 2 JP darts and one JC same weight just different grip, same type straight barrel, and very close to diameter and length.  I did win 2 of 3 games but had to make sure I used the JC dart first for points until going for the double out which then was the JP.
Sorry for going on to a few problems but points breaking and shafts fitting correctly should not be a problem -- shooting and hitting the correct mark should be my only concern.  So last thought buy new darts and get rid of the problems?  Or find a way to make them work since they seemed to be the dart I felt good throwing.

Any suggestions on what direction I should go?
Try the Voks Tornado points instead, but if it was me and I had so many problems with the storms I would not use them again, I hear it often that they break so that's why I never use them.

But I don't think its a good idea using mismatched darts in a set.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I bought some Aden Kirk's and had the storms installed. They broke after only 1 hour. I guess it was "my fault" throwing on a concrete floor. But that one dart cost me money to repair. I just thought it would be easier to have One80 do it for me but in hind sight I should have just done it myself as I didn't save anything other than the time it took to do it
I'm waiting for the Voks smooth storms to come out so I can try them in them
I have several dart sets with storms I installed and never broke one other than the factory installed dart. Is it the time it takes them to do it being rushed? I have no clue
If you're insisting on tapered points, try the voks as grip suggested. I've been using them since launch and no breakage.

Other alternative is to with regular points and tridents.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I am on the fence about this same dilemma ,,,,I,Myself want to start helping peeps with their darts ,,, customizing darts to suit my client,,,,I also need to invest in a repointing tool ,,,, not just any tool but 1 that gives me the results I want and need without second guessing ,,, in other words a good 1,,,,

I have owned a set of darts with storm points ,, and for me I absolutely love the feel of the transition from barrel to point ,,,,the other major pro is the way they stick to the board,,,,I can safely say if I ever make my 12 gram Bunting darts a contender for 1 of my most faverite liked and thrown dart,,,, it will be when I get storms installed,,, and then they better fit perfect,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I am also looking into getting a mini micro metal lathe to start doing custom work ,,,, we will see how far this goes,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Oh good, just received 30mm gold Storms to put in my Barney darts. Paranoid to put them in nowGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. As a side bar anyone know why this occurs? One would suspect with that shoulder up against the barrel the points would be extra tough to break. Material to brittle? Insert to short? Just wunderin'Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

(05-04-2016, 04:09 PM)AD18 Wrote: Oh good, just received 30mm gold Storms to put in my Barney darts.  Paranoid to put them in nowGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  As a side bar anyone know why this occurs?  One would suspect with that shoulder up against the barrel the points would be extra tough to break.  Material to brittle?  Insert to short?  Just wunderin'Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

material is strong, but brittle. it has no flex. The voks points have much more flex which allows it not to break.
-Milky

Hard floors and Storms are a bad combo. I have Storms in most of my darts, and the only one I've broken was due to a super-glued install (done by a well-regarded pro) that came loose. Very much looking forward to the new smooth Voks points.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(05-04-2016, 05:33 PM)brenthahn Wrote: super-glued install (done by a well-regarded pro) that came loose.
let me guess. Mr B.?

I've heard his lathe work leaves a lot be desired. A friend had a set done, and they were 2 grams heavier than was requested.
-Milky

I have also tried the tridents with regular points and the feel is very different, that is why I tried Storms.

Not to use mismatched set of darts gives me a reason to buy a new matched set  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. .

Thanks for the information on using Voks points as a replacement point -- I read in May (which means now) that there will be a smooth version, are they available yet?

After looking at another thread I am wondering if the insert part of the Voks point is to long for my present darts.  I have seen the size difference on another thread showing pictures of the depth difference between Storms and Voks, and it seems much longer.

I have already had a problem with shafts having a long non thread area after the screw threads.  Causing the shafts not to fit up against the barrel of the dart. One in particular a cosmo spin extra short shaft broke at the barrel after sanding the non thread part so it would fit the dart.  At least that part was able to be unscrewed from the barrel not like the storm points which leaves nothing to grab to pull out.  Would sanding or filing the Voks point cause a weakness and possible break like this sanded shaft right at the barrel end?  It seems from reading about these Voks points that the longer insert gives the point more strength to prevent breakage, will changing that hurt the point?  If I put in the Voks points and they were a little to long and did not touch the barrel is this just asking for a point to break and bad deflections if darts hit that spot?

Sanding (filing) a Voks point to fit my dart does not seem as easy as sanding a nylon shaft.  I read where mc1958 filed the Voks points to fit them into his Rasta's, hopefully they will fit without sanding or filing and are worth a try compared to buying more very breakable Storms.  At least there were no complaints about Voks points breaking!!  I also hope they are the same thickness as Storms because my last darts that I fixed would no longer hold regular points too loose but Storm points fit tight that stem going into the dart must be a slightly larger diameter then regular straight points.

I will wait for the smooth Voks version as I just purchased a new dartboard and don't want to replace that also.
Thanks for the suggestions and if there are any special tips on installing Voks points or anything else I asked let me know.
I used to be a big advocate of Storm points. But there's too many issue's of them breaking. This is darts! We all choose to play a sport where we throw things made out of tungsten and steel. That crap shouldn't break.

I probably would never use them again. Instead I'd go for a dart with a tapered nose that doesn't damage flights and uses a normal steel point. If I was you I'd check out the One80 darts. Or maybe even a soft tip barrel with a Target titanium point.

That was you never have to cringe when you get a bounce out. Simply put, dart equipment shouldn't be breaking all the time. Storm points are a great idea but too many horror stories out there.
In my experience of using storms the 30mm ones are a lot more susceptible to bending and breaking than the 26mm version. I prefer the length of the 30mm ones though...
I see all your breakages have occured on hard floor styles - is there a possibility to put some carpet down to soften the impact or are these floors out of your control, i.e. in bars / not in your house?!
I agree with you entirely on the different feel between using a trident and a storm point. I don't like the feel of the trident, the storm point is so much better!
I haven't used the voks tornado points myself, but I would give them a try out and see what you make of them. I am going to try them out sometime soon I think. If after that you still have no luck it may be a case of transitioning to 26mm storms or calling them a bad day and using regular points. I hope you find something that works for you.
I really wish target or some other company could make a storm style point that didn't have these issues!!!
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Thanks for the suggestions however none of my points broke at home because there are rugs. They all broke at the bar and lodge I play at for league games so no control over the flooring.

I also looked at the One80 darts and did not see a design that has a tapered nose that made me think this might work good so I will have to think more before buying a new set.  I do have a set of soft tips maybe I will just try changing the points on them to see if they have the right feeling, only thing is they a 4g lighter then my steel tip darts.

The last 30mm gold point that broke did so during warm up before the league games started when it bounced out hit the floor and the point rolled right up to my feet.  Not a good thing to see before starting matches that night.

I do have one set of 26mm silver Storms in a set of Barney's that I will try at my lodge to see if they hold up but this is also not the set of darts I prefer to use during league but may have to so I have a matched set.  My dart barrel sets that have broken points are all gold color so the gold points matched up well with the darts, only they did not last long enough to be worth the trouble.  I wonder if 26mm gold also has that same problem?  They may look good on the dart but I don't think I am willing to try them after the problems the 30mm have caused me.

I will probably try the Voks points when I see the smooth version so I have no added fear of ruining a new dartboard at home during practice.  They may not be gold in color but have not read about them breaking. I have read about them bending but in that case I can pull it out and replace it easily with the repointer I have.  

Right now I am still wondering how to fix my last dart with the broken point still inside the barrel.  I did the vinegar thing the first time and it took over a month to get out that piece.  It also discolored the dart and the gold turned to almost black plus only another storm point would fit back into the barrel tight enough. So the next bounce out could mean another broken point.