Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Unicorn Gary Anderson World Championship 2016 Limited Edition 23g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=869qQTeIy7k

Well here it is in all its glory or should I say golden glory as it is a lovely gold colour version of the Gary Anderson Phase 3.  I am sure many have been waiting for this version but for now it seems you will only have a chance to get them in this limited edition guise.  That's a slight shame as I think its enhanced the look and feel of the dart for me so would be nice to see a version in the normal pack too.  But I am getting ahead of myself here, sorry!

Lets mention the main feature of this and why its limited.

As you can see its not just the darts that are treated with the gold livery but they also come with a very nice case, the Icon case which is CNC machined from a solid billet of aluminium and very well made at that.  More on that soon but some details for now Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The price of this package is £90 and it is limited to 2916 sets in steel tip, why 2916?  Well 2 is for Gando's 2 World Titles and the 9 is for his 9 darter in the semi final and 16 is for the year, simple eh Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

There is also a soft tip version which I think is limited to 1500 sets.

The darts are still the same design as the previous Phase 3's and still 90% tungsten and as you can see from the pics they are now fitted with some very nice gold points with 2016 etched on.

Check out the Unicorn site here for more info: https://www.unicorn-darts.com/range/dart...ition.aspx

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a cardboard box with a neat foam insert holding the above mentioned Icon case.  With the darts is a set of white medium gripper 3 stems and a set of limited edition Gary Anderson Big Wing flights, the flights will only come with this set and will not be available to buy separately.  There is also an aluminum trident point protector.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

THE ICON CASE:

I thought it best to do this section on its own as it is a big feature of this limited edition set.

As I already mentioned the case is made from a solid billet of aluminium which has been very nicely machined and it has a lovely soft textured outer cover with a clear window on the lid to show the contents, it has a kind of suede feel.  The lid has a magnetic closure and as you can see from the video it does not fall open even when upside down.  On the inside of the lid is a little pocket for the flights and as you can see from the pics is it nicely embossed with gold lettering on the lid top.  

The aluminium section holding the darts is anodised gold and has a nice smooth feel but if you look close at the pics you can see at the top there is a kind of rubber band holding the stems in place, this does not come out so don't try to pull it.  

The way to release the darts from the case is to press the 2 clips either side of the point protector and then lift slightly and slide out.  Its all very neat and secure.  One nice feature is the engraving on the case which details Gary Anderson path to victory at the 2016 Worlds and also at the bottom you can see the number of the set, mine is number 6 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Finally one attention to detail you may miss is if you look at the etching on the points and the barrel and the name on the stems it is all aligned in a straight line, a nice little touch I think.  

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

As I have mentioned a lot on this forum I am quite a fan of gold ti and for me these are the best looking version of the Anderson Phase 3 and quite possibly the best feeling version too.  The 2 blue rings contrasts well against the gold too. Although I would not normally expect to have much of a feel of the coating from thinly edged rings I still think after throwing them for a while it was actually enhancing the feel a little, I think it certainly felt better on the point as my finger stayed put, whereas on silver points it often slips off.  As its a thinly cut double ring style grip it is quite a high grip level.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Detailed dimensions:

WEIGHT:

The difference between the lightest and heaviest barrel is six hundredths of a gram:

Weight of the full setup as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the balance is just front of centre:

With the supplied setup it moves right in the middle:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I know I have tried a few versions of the Phase 3 now but I think this is the first time when I threw them with my grip right on the nose, not sure why but even though the darts are a little long I felt fine there with this version, I was throwing quite well with them but more on that in a bit:

Darts landed in the board in my usual angle after I had played with them for a while, but before that I had a few that were landing very flat:

CONCLUSION:

Well first of all I will say that if you like to collect darts or your a big Gary Anderson fan then it is immediately worth getting a set, so hurry up now before they are all gone!

Right a little more about that then Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I say you should get a set because even thought the price is a bit steep after seeing the case and feeling it and appreciating how well made it is and how lovely it is on the whole I think its enhanced the limited edition appeal of this set no end.

I will be surprised if people say they don't like it!  

The little attention to detail with the clips for the point protector and the little rubber band holding the stems and added with the engraving just makes it something neat and special.  

I think its obvious that the case alone is a big part of the cost but the darts themselves are so much nicer in the gold coating and with the addition of the gold points too it makes a really nice collectors set, also the flights are only sold with this set too so that is another thing.

I know when I got the case out of the box the first time I could not stop playing with it, how crazy is that lol its just a bloody case lol!  But of course it is and as a case for usefulness its limited to just one set so again not the greatest in terms of function but who cares when it looks so good!

Now if your a person that wants to buy a gold set of Gando Phase 3 just to play with then you have not got much choice but to pay the £90 as as far as I know this may be the only version that ever comes out with the gold ti which like I said above is going to be a shame, I just know a lot of people will love this version so it really would be nice to see a normal set with out the case just so you can have a gold ti version, may be a barrels only set Unicorn?

I am sure there will be people buying these to play with and show off with the nice case too but once you have marked the darts up then there value as a limited edition set will diminish unless you wait for another 20 or 30 years and just to make a point here the case wont make you play better, it may make your friends jealous though but don't leave it lying about in the pub!

As for the performance of the darts well again a little strange for me.  I think I have played the best with this version even though I would not usually get on with a dart as long as these I think its because over the last few months I have gotten better and more stable with my throw (I think going to the gym has help stabilise my dodgy joints) and I throw these rather well, even hit a 140 on my first throw and I cant remember the last time I had such a good start as that!

But like I say often a straight barrel dart is the most versatile style and I think these can suit any type of grip, I actually threw ok with the rear grip but there is not so much physical grip at the very end.

I do think the gold coating has improved the grip somewhat too, for me it got better as I warmed up and I enjoyed throwing them on the whole.

I think its a great edition of the Phase 3 and I am thinking of getting another set and some soft tips too, as I have marked the steel tips now lol!

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 9 (best version yet, gold is god!)
Grip: 8.5 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (fairly close but could have been better)
Quality: 9 (the case and the little touches make it)
Value: 8.5 if your a big fan or a collector and 6 if you just want a gold set
Suitability for me: 8.5 (worked the best so far but probably as much me just improving as it is the darts)

Best Feature: Hmm difficult to choose, will say the gold coating then Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

P.S.

Some info about the process involved in making the Icon case:

The cases are first forged from alluminium bar which creates the inside of the case, the alluminium is first heated to make it more pliable. You will see from the attached link that this is a brutal process but allows you to create the form very quickly.

Then the outside of the case is CNC machined to remove excess material and create a contoured feel. The inside form is left in the forged style to contrast with the cnc machining on the outside and enhances the CNC engraving, therefore every case will be unique as no 2 forged cases will ever be the same.

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Cracking review and photos again Darren!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks Chris Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Lovely looking dart and great review.

My problem with LE darts is that id be too scared to use em. I also think the silver version looks nicer, but thats just me.
Looks scamy to me .Phil Taylor darts with nice case that costs 100 quid
180-1(33)

Nice review of a lovely set of darts. Not sure I would throw them though if I ever got a set Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Splendid review, as always, Darren. Have a +1 for the video review and another +1 for the written & photo review off me, sir!

Yes, that Unicorn Ti coating is very nice indeed, tough and hard-wearing - love it on my Lowe Golden Tis!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"He wants two eighteens for a hundred thousand pounds..."

My Darts:  Unicorn John Lowe Golden Titanium 21g / Unicorn Sigma Pro 970 Gold 21g / Target Phil Taylor Gen 3 9Five 22g
Good review as always. I clicked straight on the the video the skipped to the end to see if you would throw them!!!
(05-02-2016, 10:18 PM)Yuillsy Wrote: Good review as always. I clicked straight on the the video the skipped to the end to see if you would throw them!!!

I always do the same
180-1(33)

Great review and outstanding pictures. +1
In all the pictures I had seen previous I was a bit underwhelmed but here they look fab. I hope they do a non LE gold version as it really suits those darts.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Man those are nice darts
Too nice to throw which is my problem. I would throw them and tear them up right away. Awesome review and I agree "gold is god".
Straight barrels suit all kind of gripers!
Valencia/Spain

Great review and I think they look great, as does the presentation case. I hate to criticise but the only thing that would annoy me is the little paper tag with the weight on. I know they include them with all sets, but for a £90 commemorative set, surely they could have supplied something a little more 'aesthetically pleasing'?!?
Good Review as always Darren! Great looking darts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red Dragon Darts Gerwyn Price Blue Ice Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 11 471 01-16-2021, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 610 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
  Red Dragon Peter Wright World Championship Tapered Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 14 704 12-28-2020, 03:42 PM
  Shot Darts Kyle Anderson Battler Darts Review Getagrip 6 296 11-24-2020, 06:52 PM
  Shot Kyle Anderson The Original O.G Darts Review Getagrip 15 487 11-16-2020, 02:29 PM
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 4,782 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
  Shot Kyle Anderson Desert Boomer Darts Review Getagrip 1 111 11-11-2020, 08:22 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 362 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 988 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 299 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM