Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Marginally Ahead in Cricket w/ Game shot in hand
Curious as to what your thoughts are when you have a game shot in cricket with a marginal lead.

Assume its steel tip -

You have a 15 point lead -

You have all numbers closed an 0 marks on bulls - you opponent has all number closed except 2 marks on 15's and 0 bulls -

What is your first dart - Does your thinking change if your opponent has a bigger number open or 0 or 1 marks on that number or perhaps already has a mark on bulls  ?

I usually throw first dart at bull and continue on bull if I hit the first - and point on the second 2 if I miss -  but curious what others do in this situation - Is there some bright line you look for prior to sending the all for the win?
If you don't close it out this round, your opponent could win with his next round but he'd have to go D15(or T15)/DB/DB to do it. Long odds of that happening. So I'd probably go bulls first two darts, and if they both miss I'd point. Even a single 15 guarantees that your opponent needs 2 rounds to win.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

i just left Pro-Darter and had this exact scenario. I placed a D15 then 2 darts at the bull. I hit 2 single bulls. Of course PD hit T15 then closed the bulls. Luckily I threw last and closed the Bull
I've seen so many legs lost on the bullseye.

I would say you don't want to get into a point war of 15's v bullseye's. You'd have to hit 100% more marks on the 15's to just stay ahead of the opponent. If I hit 2 25's you need to hit twice as many marks on the 15's to get ahead. 4 of them.

Tip #1 - Don't wait until the end of the game to close bullseye's. They're hard to hit under pressure even for the best players.

Tip #2 - Play 501 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for the replies -

When do you think would be better to go for bull's then on the end?  I don't think I would even consider it unless I was up on points with 2 houses closed on the opponent??

I do play more 501 - hence the questions for cricket Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-27-2016, 06:13 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: Thanks for the replies -

When do you think would be better to go for bull's then on the end?  I don't think I would even consider it unless I was up on points with 2 houses closed on the opponent??

I do play more 501 - hence the questions for cricket Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Any time you have one dart left in your hand and you're up in points or leading, take a swing at the bullseye. Learn to not be afraid of it or wait until the end. But to answer your question... any time is a good time to go for bullseye. If I start the leg and open up with 4 20's you can bet my last dart is going at the bullseye. 

I feel that showing a video is a lot better than typing to get across the point I'm trying to make. Here's a video of me playing a clearly better player (the computer program). It was playing better than I was and had a higher MPR then me but somehow I won. The bullseye saved me big time. Have a look... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOoJjz_zD_o
theres no question in my mind. what i always do in that situation (especially if bull is in play) is get up enough so that he cant beat you in 3 darts. up by 15 if you hit just one 15 that will guarantee you at least another throw. obviously there are other factors to consider in cricket. i try to pay very close attention both in practice and in play to how hes throwing at each number. my whole league knows that i drill bull probably better than any other number so they play me differently when it comes down to a situation like that. but i also know that ill typically hit 6 or 7 bulls before they can hit 3 so i also adjust my play with that in mind. it allows me to play a little more aggressive and i don't panic when im 15 down with no bulls and two 15s.

being ahead in cricket puts you in a huge advantage because it forces your opponent to do something to beat you. you either force them to close or you force them to point or both. so you ALWAYS want to use that to your advantage whether its at the end of the game, the middle, or anywhere in between. that's one of the reasons i don't really like cricket that much as a league game because if you opponent gets two 5 marks or just one 6 or 7 mark and now you either need to come up with some magic or you have to hope that he gets some misses. you don't want that in either case.
(04-27-2016, 05:08 PM)brenthahn Wrote: If you don't close it out this round, your opponent could win with his next round but he'd have to go D15(or T15)/DB/DB to do it.  Long odds of that happening.  So I'd probably go bulls first two darts, and if they both miss I'd point.  Even a single 15 guarantees that your opponent needs 2 rounds to win.

Exactly this.

Depending on who I'm playing I may also do this: 1st dart bull(if it's off/not feeling it), the rest points. You earned the lead, now bash them in the face with it, they would do it to you.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-27-2016, 06:29 PM)Cyanide Wrote:

Any time you have one dart left in your hand and you're up in points or leading, take a swing at the bullseye. Learn to not be afraid of it or wait until the end. But to answer your question... any time is a good time to go for bullseye. If I start the leg and open up with 4 20's you can bet my last dart is going at the bullseye. 

I feel that showing a video is a lot better than typing to get across the point I'm trying to make. Here's a video of me playing a clearly better player (the computer program). It was playing better than I was and had a higher MPR then me but somehow I won. The bullseye saved me big time. Have a look... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOoJjz_zD_o
Tested this out in my singles league match this weekend and it worked really well.  The opponent seemed confused, or it at least made them think.  In two legs only needed 3 fat 15's to seal the game.  Obviously much easier shot than 3 bulls.

There's one line of thinking in cricket that you should go for bulls after 17s... that their relative value is higher than what you'd get from 16s and 15s.

Personally, I like more of why Cy noted... anytime you have a decent point lead and one dart left in hand, why not take a shot here and there?
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.

Ive never seen it but Ive even heard of guys who can hammer the bull starting with 25s rather than 20s. Assuming you're very proficient with the bull, thats a nice point producer.
Current Match Setup:

To answer the initial question though, Im going 2 at the bull, and one for points.
Current Match Setup:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dog Hand Troll 9 1,680 06-18-2016, 01:19 AM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Cricket w/ 1 dart in your hand ? 181-3dartout 22 3,785 01-17-2016, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Chardotz