Target Darts.

Practice, practice, practice......
Well, it has been said plenty but I thought I would just support what the experienced players on this forum already know.  It takes practice, a lot of practice, to get better.

I juggle family, home and pet responsibilities as many of you do.  Unfortunately, this means I was grabbing bits of practice here and there.  A bit before my wife gets home.  A toss during commercials while watching TV.  A round of 501 or cricket while the wife goes outside for a smoke.  I have improved but, shocker, not the way I feel I should have for playing for 6-8 months or so.  Sure, I usually beat the guys I play with, but they are casual players.  Have made strides in the right direction before (you've probably seen some of my posts) but nothing really stuck.

So, a few nights ago I timed my "practice session".  Just went to the board and threw for what felt like a typical time.  Don't laugh, but it was only 10-15 minutes.  I couldn't believe it.  I was, realistically, barely warmed up.  Certainly not enough time to make my throw automatic.  The next step was to keep throwing for at least an hour.  What a difference!!!  My throw became more grooved and automatic, the things I was correcting in my throw started to take hold, and my normal scores (26, 45, etc.) were replaced with several 140's, 100's and 60's.  My typical left to right scatter became minimal and more vertical.  Granted, I have thrown 180's, but they are incredibly rare and probably more luck than anything.  Absolutely dramatic improvement for me.

Been doing this for a few nights and continue to make my throw more consistent.  I plan to continue and, if possible, expand my time at the board.  I have a window before the wife gets home and plan to take advantage of it, rather than just hitting the couch after a long day at work.

Basic stuff for most on this forum, but just a reminder for the newbies (like me) to put in the time on the board or you will forever be starting over.  That is, unless you are a natural.  If you are, I absolutely hate you!  LOL.

Throw on Dartsnutz!!!!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

(04-21-2016, 07:23 PM)ranger86 Wrote: Well, it has been said plenty but I thought I would just support what the experienced players on this forum already know.  It takes practice, a lot of practice, to get better.

I juggle family, home and pet responsibilities as many of you do.  Unfortunately, this means I was grabbing bits of practice here and there.  A bit before my wife gets home.  A toss during commercials while watching TV.  A round of 501 or cricket while the wife goes outside for a smoke.  I have improved but, shocker, not the way I feel I should have for playing for 6-8 months or so.  Sure, I usually beat the guys I play with, but they are casual players.  Have made strides in the right direction before (you've probably seen some of my posts) but nothing really stuck.

So, a few nights ago I timed my "practice session".  Just went to the board and threw for what felt like a typical time.  Don't laugh, but it was only 10-15 minutes.  I couldn't believe it.  I was, realistically, barely warmed up.  Certainly not enough time to make my throw automatic.  The next step was to keep throwing for at least an hour.  What a difference!!!  My throw became more grooved and automatic, the things I was correcting in my throw started to take hold, and my normal scores (26, 45, etc.) were replaced with several 140's, 100's and 60's.  My typical left to right scatter became minimal and more vertical.  Granted, I have thrown 180's, but they are incredibly rare and probably more luck than anything.  Absolutely dramatic improvement for me.

Been doing this for a few nights and continue to make my throw more consistent.  I plan to continue and, if possible, expand my time at the board.  I have a window before the wife gets home and plan to take advantage of it,
Basic stuff for most on this forum, but just a reminder for the newbies (like me) to put in the time on the board or you will forever be starting over.  That is, unless you are a natural.  If you are, I absolutely hate you!  LOL.
rather than just hitting the couch after a long day at work.

Throw on Dartsnutz!!!!

Well said - I always play better when I have had longer practice sessions.  There are still nights where I can only squeeze in a few minutes but I try to keep them to a minimum - I always work to get my practice in right after work because I find once I sit down it's all over and I am not going to feel motivated to practice later -
Agree, practice is one of the most important things if you wanna get good in darts. Can't practice enough.
Solo practice essential IMO.
Practise is the main thing. But very Importen is that you didn't lose the fun. If you havn't fun, nothing goes well and easy.

Remenber, the dart won't annoy you Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
if i dont at least an hour then i really dont even consider it practice. dont get me wrong, im not saying that if you dont have at least an hour then you shouldnt bother, thats not what im saying at all. every bit of practice helps. and every person is different, but for me personally i dont really get into a rhythm until around 30 minutes or so. i dont actually start really throwing until i feel that groove.

i have preached practice for a long long time and people ask me all the time how i improved so much so quickly and i always tell them PRACTICE! but some people just arent going to practice for whatever reason. its either because its boring or because they dont think they need it. we have several people in my league that can be pro level at times, but they just arent consistent at all. they are really really good but they all have some serious mechanical issues that could be addresses fairly easily but they just wont do it. when i beat them they are so quick to blame it on something (the board, the flights, the darts, the stems, the wind, the lights, etc) except themselves.

another thing about practice is to practice the right way. a lot of people i know will say they practice all the time but never get better. throwing darts at the board isnt practice. being cognizant of everything your body and mind are doing while you throw darts at the board is practice. starting today i could hit 1000 golf balls a day and in 3 years im probably not going to be any better at golf than i am right now simply because all i woudl be doing is practicing the same Poo swing and Poo mechanics that i do right now. sure, i would figure out a way to compensate to a degree to be able to at least hit the ball most of the time, but a whole lot more goes into playing a game of golf than hitting golf balls at the range can teach you. if you dont have a way to figure out what you are doing wrong and a way to correct it, then no amount of practice is going to help you. throwing lots and lots of darts will get to you a certain level and if you are a beginner you will see a significant difference at first, but at some point it will taper off and you wont get any better.

ive shown a lot of people A1 and tried to get them to at least try it and to give george a shot at making them better, but most of them just arent interested. yes, it can be boring but if you really want to get better then you will find ways to overcome that. personally, i think the reason most of them wont do it for very long is because it makes them realize they arent good at it. and thats a hard pill to swallow for some people. when you think youre pretty good and you get humbled by a simple drill that has you hitting fat singles it can definitely hurt your ego. so a lot of people would rather just dismiss it and go on believing that they dont need it. and thats ok because now they are wins for me. i know what practice can do, i know what it did for me. it took from a 30+ average player and turned me into an almost 60 average player in the span of about a year. it took me from a 1.5-2.0 marks per round player in cricket to a 3.5-4.0 mpr player. it took to a level that i never thought i would ever be at, much less in the span of a year.

and the sick thing is that i still dont think im at my best. i know there is still room for improvement and thats why i keep practicing. and thats why you should to!

MC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How much to practice dexterwolf 2 386 11-13-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Texas
  Best practice routines for a beginner Sammydaviss1 14 1,868 04-14-2020, 10:30 PM
Last Post: david123
  How often do you practice? T4cTiCs 76 6,866 01-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Gooddark
  Pro Players practice to use same setup? cpohd 12 2,555 05-23-2019, 12:48 AM
Last Post: Mairtin Seoige
  Best ways to practice doubles? HarryShort180 40 6,760 02-18-2019, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Marko Vracar
  Practice at home - footwear? jjthehoser 23 1,997 01-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Last Post: The_Marksman
  Height practice Andreas 10 1,950 07-11-2018, 04:28 AM
Last Post: whippet0
  Dart Practice Games Dartsnutz University: Beginners Level guest2 25 45,857 04-27-2018, 03:34 PM
Last Post: GrassMunky
  Practice routines for youngsters Am@deus 2 715 05-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Dart Practice Analogy Southpaw 6 1,702 02-18-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: jdhart