Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

3 Things That Ruin All Competitive Players
https://youtu.be/5iTNBJdUd4g

Are steel tippers as guilty as soft tippers when it comes to these 3 things? I'd honestly like to know lol.
~promote darts - play darts~
Good video.

In a way you're pointing out what's wrong with American darts without realizing it, or maybe you do. But when you went into "triggers" I just pictured typical American's getting upset over a game of cricket. And then you went ahead and mentioned "excessive pointing". Is there really such a thing? Should I play a game of darts in a way as to not trigger the emotions of an opponent. Should people get upset because of how someone else plays? A bit silly isn't it? Yet it happens a lot. Like a lot a lot.

And distractions. Like giving fist bumps to my opponent EVERY time they walk back from the board. Or getting fist bumped EVERY time I walk back from the board. That is NOT how normal people around the world play darts. How am I supposed to concentrate on my own game when the opponent wants a damn fist bump even though I just missed all 3 darts?

And the waiting around or walking around while the player should be shooting darts. The excessive talking to the opponents. Show me a PDC World Cup of Darts video where you see these things happening. I'm guessing you'd be hard pressed because we just don't see these things in other places of the world.

Imo a lot of the things you mention are just specific to American darts and bad habits I see from American players. Especially in the soft tip darting community. I guess we tend to copy what we see. If everyone is fist bumping everyone else eventually I'll get caught up in it too (hint... no I won't). Or if I see a HUGE % of dart players throw one dart and get mad then decide to have a walk around the oche shaking their head, I might copy that too. A lot of what you say is a learned behavior. And worst of all, it's acceptable for the most part.

If Benny Dersch has a turn and steps to the oche. After 30 seconds when he finally throws one dart and misses he might stomp off the oche, turn around and go have a drink or just stand there for a minute shaking his head. Will anyone say anything? Nope. Because these "triggers" are seen as normal in the American darting community.

The entire way/style we play darts needs a MASSIVE overhaul. And when that happens I think we'll see less of all these triggers and emotions. But as of now I believe a lot of this is built into the system we call darts.
I think this is not just an american thing. I have to admit i never really played against some one other than my friends. But on the German Darts forum i read such things about people walking back and forwards when the opponent is throwing and even walking in the eyesight of them.
Darts: Taylor 8zero Black Ti 24g, Chizzy Gold 24g, Barney Phase 5 23g, Paul Nicholson 24g, and so on...
Highout: 125 (T20-T15-D10)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-21-2016, 02:57 AM)Cyanide Wrote: Good video.

In a way you're pointing out what's wrong with American darts without realizing it, or maybe you do. But when you went into "triggers" I just pictured typical American's getting upset over a game of cricket. And then you went ahead and mentioned "excessive pointing". Is there really such a thing? Should I play a game of darts in a way as to not trigger the emotions of an opponent. Should people get upset because of how someone else plays? A bit silly isn't it? Yet it happens a lot. Like a lot a lot.

And distractions. Like giving fist bumps to my opponent EVERY time they walk back from the board. Or getting fist bumped EVERY time I walk back from the board. That is NOT how normal people around the world play darts. How am I supposed to concentrate on my own game when the opponent wants a damn fist bump even though I just missed all 3 darts?

And the waiting around or walking around while the player should be shooting darts. The excessive talking to the opponents. Show me a PDC World Cup of Darts video where you see these things happening. I'm guessing you'd be hard pressed because we just don't see these things in other places of the world.

Imo a lot of the things you mention are just specific to American darts and bad habits I see from American players. Especially in the soft tip darting community. I guess we tend to copy what we see. If everyone is fist bumping everyone else eventually I'll get caught up in it too (hint... no I won't). Or if I see a HUGE % of dart players throw one dart and get mad then decide to have a walk around the oche shaking their head, I might copy that too. A lot of what you say is a learned behavior. And worst of all, it's acceptable for the most part.

If Benny Dersch has a turn and steps to the oche. After 30 seconds when he finally throws one dart and misses he might stomp off the oche, turn around and go have a drink or just stand there for a minute shaking his head. Will anyone say anything? Nope. Because these "triggers" are seen as normal in the American darting community.

The entire way/style we play darts needs a MASSIVE overhaul. And when that happens I think we'll see less of all these triggers and emotions. But as of now I believe a lot of this is built into the system we call darts.
Wow, thank you for your input.

I would say it's certainly more prevalent in the soft tip dart scene, but I was more wondering about the behavior of any other steel tip players around the world at a local level because American steel tip players are guilty as well. I couldn't ever imagine a person performing at a pro level harboring any of those qualities mentioned in the video... even in the states.

Unfortunately a lot of those triggers ARE directly tied to cricket :'( Americans are extremely sensitive to what they deem appropriate and excessive pointing. I would agree of course you should never alter your game in regards to your opponents' sensitivity issues. To be honest though, you're asking for trouble if you have 3 houses on them and say 80 points ahead and are STILL pointing. This is what they do in Asia. When I was Singapore their cricket games on dartslive round out at 15 rounds which is crazy because we're used to 25 rounds in America. DRAMATIC difference in strategy and risk taking. So I adapted and literally never finished a game of cricket.... I was shooting against A flight players so the only way to win was to point until the game rounded out. I learned that quick. But try that in America and you WILL get a black eye and a horrible reputation as sad as that is.

and OMG would you believe me if I said I HATE fist bumping? I get the dirtiest looks when I refuse to transfer my good energy and focus to the opponents. I absolutely can't stand it for all of the reasons you mentioned. My secret is I pretend like I didn't see their fist. When I grab my darts I immediately duck my head down and start tightening my shafts and tips so as to look distracted. Works every time. 

I strongly agree with your statements (as much as it hurts to be proudly American). These behaviors are all culturally acceptable and you get ostracized for being different here...new and better players are unwelcome and no one is willing to try anything new. In a nutshell, that's what I would say is wrong with American darts in terms of elements that we can physically change. That we SHOULD change.

Therefore, I'm trying! lmfao. That's the point of all of these video. To become popular enough in order to influence change. Wish me luck Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
~promote darts - play darts~
Wow. That sounds really horrible. I never played cricket myself but are they mad that you win or whats their problem?
Darts: Taylor 8zero Black Ti 24g, Chizzy Gold 24g, Barney Phase 5 23g, Paul Nicholson 24g, and so on...
Highout: 125 (T20-T15-D10)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-21-2016, 10:07 AM)Eyebala Wrote: Wow. That sounds really horrible. I never played cricket myself but are they mad that you win or whats their problem?

Maybe it's because some people rather play the game of who-closes-first-wins and pointing stops them from playing "their" game. 
They either have to point back or lose... both options upset them so they lose and turn super saiyan.
great video i must admit some of that rang very true with me
Great video.
Yep the over pointing is a very American thing, it happens in all sports. I remember a couple of years ago a High School sacked their basketball coach because the team won by over 50 points three times in a row. It's deemed unsporting to 'run up the score' probably why real cricket, with a bat and a ball, never took off over there as the point is to score heavily. Also a lot of Brits play the darts game with the mentality of the real game and run up the score.
(04-21-2016, 09:35 AM)jcmounts Wrote: Wow, thank you for your input.

I would say it's certainly more prevalent in the soft tip dart scene, but I was more wondering about the behavior of any other steel tip players around the world at a local level because American steel tip players are guilty as well. I couldn't ever imagine a person performing at a pro level harboring any of those qualities mentioned in the video... even in the states.

Unfortunately a lot of those triggers ARE directly tied to cricket :'( Americans are extremely sensitive to what they deem appropriate and excessive pointing. I would agree of course you should never alter your game in regards to your opponents' sensitivity issues. To be honest though, you're asking for trouble if you have 3 houses on them and say 80 points ahead and are STILL pointing. This is what they do in Asia. When I was Singapore their cricket games on dartslive round out at 15 rounds which is crazy because we're used to 25 rounds in America. DRAMATIC difference in strategy and risk taking. So I adapted and literally never finished a game of cricket.... I was shooting against A flight players so the only way to win was to point until the game rounded out. I learned that quick. But try that in America and you WILL get a black eye and a horrible reputation as sad as that is.

and OMG would you believe me if I said I HATE fist bumping? I get the dirtiest looks when I refuse to transfer my good energy and focus to the opponents. I absolutely can't stand it for all of the reasons you mentioned. My secret is I pretend like I didn't see their fist. When I grab my darts I immediately duck my head down and start tightening my shafts and tips so as to look distracted. Works every time. 

I strongly agree with your statements (as much as it hurts to be proudly American). These behaviors are all culturally acceptable and you get ostracized for being different here...new and better players are unwelcome and no one is willing to try anything new. In a nutshell, that's what I would say is wrong with American darts in terms of elements that we can physically change. That we SHOULD change.

Therefore, I'm trying! lmfao. That's the point of all of these video. To become popular enough in order to influence change. Wish me luck [Image: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/images/s...tongue.gif]

Would you consider Virginia Beach Open a "pro" tourney? 

I would tell you to watch the 10 hours of footage and look for all these awful behaviors that you talk about. But here's the problem. If you do things out of habit and copy what you see then you won't have any idea what you're looking at. An American watching American darts isn't going to pick up on anything odd. It's only when an outsider watches the stream do they say "what the heck are these people doing". 

And I'm not buying the different "strategy" thing overseas. Firstly I don't believe there's much of any strategy other than playing well in cricket. If I start the leg and play well, there's not much anyone can do about it. No magical "strategy" will stop me. Sort of like going first and throwing a 12 or in most cases a 15 darter in 501. A person can know all the fancy set up shots or the best % shots they want but it isn't going to stop me. 

But that's a bit off topic. To get back on topic though. You said the triggers are related directly to cricket. I've been preaching about this for ages. Cricket brings out some awful attitudes and even more awful styles of play. It has to go Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-21-2016, 09:35 AM)jcmounts Wrote:

Therefore, I'm trying! lmfao. That's the point of all of these video. To become popular enough in order to influence change. Wish me luck [Image: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/images/s...tongue.gif]

Lol what ? You mean somebody would hit you because you scored on him ? As to fist bumping - i fist bump once at the start of the match, never again. I rather shake hands if anything at beginning and end. I won't even pretend that im busy or distracted, i just refuse to fist bump at any other point.

Also i had a friend, who is actualy a very good player, but is somewhat easy to distract or break mentally - when he plays i actually stand between him and the public to break up any physical or other contact before he even gets approached. And when i am not there i make sure someone on his team does that for me.
(04-21-2016, 09:35 AM)jcmounts Wrote:

Seriously Jen?

American players will physically assault you for scoring a lot? Wouldn't that result in a lot of lawsuits?
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-21-2016, 02:57 AM)Cyanide Wrote: ...And then you went ahead and mentioned "excessive pointing". Is there really such a thing? Should I play a game of darts in a way as to not trigger the emotions of an opponent. Should people get upset because of how someone else plays? A bit silly isn't it? Yet it happens a lot. Like a lot a lot. 
I opened a game with 9 20s on Tuesday... got yelled at.
I was told that 6 20s and 3 19s would be fine... but 9 20s is 'excessive'.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
(04-21-2016, 06:42 PM)Milkysunshine Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 02:57 AM)Cyanide Wrote: ...And then you went ahead and mentioned "excessive pointing". Is there really such a thing? Should I play a game of darts in a way as to not trigger the emotions of an opponent. Should people get upset because of how someone else plays? A bit silly isn't it? Yet it happens a lot. Like a lot a lot. 
I opened a game with 9 20s on Tuesday... got yelled at.
I was told that 6 20s and 3 19s would be fine... but 9 20s is 'excessive'.

LOL

6 20's is fine. Let's even pretend you did manage to hit the treble 19. My turn, I hit 7 18's. I'm winning :Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

It's strange though. Open up with a perfect toss in cricket = get yelled at. Open up with a 180 in 501 = get a fist bump lol
I think I would get really mad if I played in the US Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
This whole pointing in cricket sounds pathetic to me, if I am not confident of hitting bull then surely I can build myself a points cushion to get me over the line?
So if Americans played snooker we would never see a 147 as they would expect their opponent to stop once they required snookers ?
If I was playing within the rules to win in the US, would I seriously be in danger of being hit by an opponent if they disapproved of my strategy? FFS thats just totally ridiculous
Current Board 
Blade 5 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things that make you go hmmmm... Nucky 12 750 12-13-2019, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Nucky
  My first competitive game in 6 years tonywalsh00 10 580 11-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Last Post: tonywalsh00
  How things have changed. GT50 20 1,860 06-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Last Post: GT50
  Players using other players darts Tlowe 22 8,327 09-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Last Post: TheRedBit
  The things kids say! (Too funny!) Red'75™ 18 21,168 09-06-2017, 04:21 AM