Target Darts.

barrel length etc etc
Hi all,

As per my newbie intro post, I have bought some aero 25gms and had a couple of 180's so far.

I got these as I used to play with shortish barrels and weight forward darts as a teenager, but the aeros feel a bit small in the hand. I wonder if a longer uniform barrel would be worth a try.

So on that basis, without having the luxury of trying all different darts in hand, is there a way of determining a barrel style to suit your grip?

can post pic of my usual grip if required.

thanks folks.
Hi,

Suggesting a barrel for someone isn't easy unfortunately as it's really personal but it might be a good idea to try a straight barrel and go from there.

If you are willing to purchase another set I would like to suggest something like this:
https://www.puredarts.co.uk/mccoy-max-da...(24g).html

An excellent dart with good grip and for a great price.
Maybe you'll love them, maybe you'll hate them but at least you won't be tossing £40 in the bin.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
A pic of your grip will help though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
yeah show us a pic of your grip, and what type of grip you like. do you like the length of the Aeros or do you prefer longer/shorter?
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
(04-20-2016, 03:17 PM)Red Wrote: Hi,

Suggesting a barrel for someone isn't easy unfortunately as it's really personal but it might be a good idea to try a straight barrel and go from there.

If you are willing to purchase another set I would like to suggest something like this:
https://www.puredarts.co.uk/mccoy-max-da...(24g).html

An excellent dart with good grip and for a great price.
Maybe you'll love them, maybe you'll hate them but at least you won't be tossing £40 in the bin.

thanks for your suggestion, a straight barrel maybe worth a look (and your right about chucking money in the bin haha)
(04-20-2016, 03:33 PM)Getagrip Wrote: A pic of your grip will help though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Will put up a pic when I get chance. Hard to describe my (natural) grip but I hold the dart a little like a pen, between thumb and 1st two fingers. the third finger sometimes rests just on the end of the barrel where the tip starts.

I would say (from your excellent review videos on youtube), I hold a dart towards the middle rather than a grip at the front or back.

Don't know if it makes any difference but my stance is stood back (straight) as opposed to leaning forward.

Thanks again
Going out on a limb here ... 

This was what I did a long time back since I too could not hold and try the darts:

I used a dart I liked and tried (the Target PRYO 80%) and noted where I held it optimally*.This might be similar to where you put your thumb on your Aero 25g.

Since I too use a pencil grip (but slightly different from yours), and my reference point was also where the barrel met the point, I lined up photos off the internet of what ever darts i was considering at where the barrel started.

My thumb reference point was middle-rear, just behind the COG of the Pryo, and I compared that to the others, like the photo below. Note that I tried to keep all darts dimensions accurate in relation to the reference.

* The black line was the middle of where I place my thumb, and the purple zone was where my thumb covered.

Straight off, with the No #1 option - Dee Craft, I knew that I had no definite thumb reference point, so that scored low.

No #2 was my reference dart. Imagine that to be your Aero.

No #3 GS Cougar showed me that my thumb would be placed a bit too far forward; not behind the optimal COG for it's design, so that ruled the Cougar out.

In the next photo, I found my dart. Try to guess which it was going by the parameters mentioned.

That took a bit of work in a photo editing programme, but if you want a quick and easy way out, note where you place your thumb optimally on the Aero: 

1. Call up a dart you're considering on your screen, and scale it to the exact length of the barrel. 
2. Measure the dart on your screen to make sure. 
3. Place your Aero next to the screen and see where the potential candidate dart's optimal grip might be. 
4. Compare and see if you think it might fit you.

After my initial comparison diagrams above, I resorted to the quick and easy way to kinda 'see' if a particular dart would suit me. Now with more familiarity, I just look carefully at the dimensions of the candidate dart, and its design.

I know many would think this is too much work, even the quick and easy way, and some may think me bonkers, or laugh at my methods off screen or in the shout box, but it worked well for me.

All the best me8!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-20-2016, 09:09 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Wow Ancient Darter - that's some reply (thanks for taking the time and effort to do so). I guess it is the bottom dart that fits best for your grip?

The Aero is for all intents and purposes a fine dart and I should perhaps give them some practise time before casting aside, but for whatever reason, they don't feel like I can throw (and grip) consistently.

I will try your method of selection (probably a basic version!) but again, I appreciate the advice and time you took to help.

Many thanks
(04-20-2016, 10:37 PM)mattmadhouse Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 09:09 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Wow Ancient Darter - that's some reply (thanks for taking the time and effort to do so). I guess it is the bottom dart that fits best for your grip?

The Aero is for all intents and purposes a fine dart and I should perhaps give them some practise time before casting aside, but for whatever reason, they don't feel like I can throw (and grip) consistently.

I will try your method of selection (probably a basic version!) but again, I appreciate the advice and time you took to help.

Many thanks

My pleasure Matt.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Without wanting to waste money, not being able to even hold the dart let alone face the unending frustration if i buy the wrong type of darts ... I devised whatever method I could to help myself out.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Yes, the bottom dart. You're spot on! They worked extremely well but at the point, I was still yearning for a much heavier dart of similar design, of which there were none really.

All the best in your search me8!
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I would say its worth experimenting with a straight barrel too, then you will know exactly if things have changed and often a straight barrel will work with any type of grip and you can get them 48mm or shorter.

Have a look for some cheap ones, a few here at Puredarts: https://www.puredarts.co.uk/search/results.html?s=25g

I think the Glaziers are a very good dart for a lot of people too: https://www.puredarts.co.uk/alan-glazier...(25g).html
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(04-21-2016, 03:18 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I would say its worth experimenting with a straight barrel too, then you will know exactly if things have changed and often a straight barrel will work with any type of grip and you can get them 48mm or shorter.

Have a look for some cheap ones, a few here at Puredarts: https://www.puredarts.co.uk/search/results.html?s=25g

I think the Glaziers are a very good dart for a lot of people too: https://www.puredarts.co.uk/alan-glazier...(25g).html

Cheers getagrip - have looked at the glaziers before. Have you any opinion/info on the harrows mark dudbridge straight barrel darts (90% tungsten and going cheap)?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching from a short/medium barrel to a long barrel Papa w 3 470 10-13-2019, 05:31 PM
Last Post: JerseyJon