Double Top Darts.

Rod Studd's Favourite Nine-Darters
After Adrian Lewis hit a Premier League nine-darter, Rod Studd recalls how Freddie Flintoff was caught up in the mayhem of Michael van Gerwen's perfect leg.

Lewis completed the first nine-darter of the competition in last week's win James Wade and the eight remaining players return to action this Thursday night, live on Sky Sports. 

World No 1 Van Gerwen has a number of nine-darters to his name, but Studd has picked out a perfect leg at the World Matchplay, with special guest Freddie Flintoff supplying his own unique commentary.

Michael Van Gerwen v Steve Beaton, 2012 World Matchplay last 16  

You have to remember that Michael van Gerwen was very much in the doldrums at this stage of his career. Before he became the new Van Gerwen, he was still floundering a bit, struggling. This nine-darter served as a catalyst for what came afterwards. He went on to win the World Grand Prix and then all those titles and remarkable feats would follow.

The great Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff had joined the irrepressible John Gwynne and Rod Harrington in the commentary box. Freddie has always been a fan of the arrows and obviously fancied a trip to Blackpool.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

When asked if he fancied a spell as a guest commentator, Freddie jumped at the chance and became progressively energetic as Van Gerwen produced his 40 seconds of magic. I thought Freddie was going to spontaneously combust as double 12 went in. 

The commentary added to the entertainment with Freddie saying: "It's a nine-dart finish, it's the first I have seen in the commentary box. John Gwynne is on his feet and Rod Harrington has wet himself!"

That thankfully did not happen, but it was a magical moment, and kick-started Michael's rise to greatness.   

John Part v Mark Webster, 2011 World Matchplay first round.

Party's nine-darter is his only one on television and he still treasures it. I'm sure John won't mind me saying, but he was playing like an absolute drain at the time, trailing 7-3 and averaging in the high 80s.

Sid Waddell quite rightly kept saying 'out of nowhere' as Part had not shown any inkling that he was going to do this. 'Tell me I'm not having seaside dreams' is the superb line that followed the last dart.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

And Manley's near miss...

I've got to also mention Peter Manley, who so nearly produced the greatest nine-darter ever in the 1999 World Matchplay final against Rod Harrington. No-one had hit a live televised nine-darter at that time. The Holy Grail was still being sought for and would not appear until Phil Taylor found it in 2002.

'One-dart' Manley, that masterful showman, went for treble 18 and blocked the bed, so with 90 remaining he hit double 20 only to wire the bull. The agony as he sinks to his knees was a sight to behold. And Rod Harrington almost shoved Peter out of the way in his urgency to return to the oche! 
Great post +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Manley looks like he's lost the will to live after that miss Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. must hurt pretty bad to almost hit the first televised 9 darter and miss on the bull.
Shaun Greatbatch actually got the first Live TV nine darter in the 2002 Dutch Open a few months before Taylor.
I still like Lowes the best Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great post MVG's was the most intense lol
180 Goal - 5/10  
Twitter: James_Judd
Instagram: DartFiend1992  

Loved MVG's 9 darter the best really inspiring player to watch.
Dolans was a big one at the time as well at the grand prix in Dublin
(04-20-2016, 04:05 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I still like Lowes the best Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The coolest, most relaxed ever i think!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I like Wade and Thornton's two double-in 9s in one match.

Talking about Wade, he must be like 'why is it always me...?'

(04-20-2016, 10:18 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 04:05 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I still like Lowes the best Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The coolest, most relaxed ever i think!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Plus he had to deal with big staples round wires and all the chalk coming off Keith's darts. As he said himself recently "It was a bit of a minefield"
I f have to ask the same thing...does it seem Wade gets alot of 9 darter thrown against him...that's very unlucky...
scottpyles01 Wrote:I f have to ask the same thing...does it seem Wade gets alot of 9 darter thrown against him...that's very unlucky...

I think it is more the fact that memorable ones seem to get hit against him than anything...
Taylors 2 in a game,
Dolans first ever double in- double out,
him and Thornton hitting one each in a Double in game,
Mvg Missing double for two consecutive 9's

Thats 5 of the televised 8 that have been hit against him and they stick out like sore thumbs when you look at the list of 9's Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. You have to feel for him Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 5 Favourite Darts Channels And 2 New Ones To Follow Getagrip 5 470 05-12-2020, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Any darters use bulbous darts? Jacob Schaeffer 19 1,446 01-30-2020, 03:00 PM
Last Post: jt4527
  9 darters in the last decade cpohd 3 339 01-21-2020, 02:53 PM
Last Post: weswrestle10
  Favourite/Least Favourite Double? Dan180 50 1,865 10-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  Your All time favourite Darts match oche balboa 13 770 08-22-2019, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Troll
  Boston mass darters! ks99dime 1 222 04-05-2019, 06:01 PM
Last Post: JayPro
  FAVOURITE WALK ON MUSIC Richa 17 816 02-17-2019, 12:12 AM