Target Darts.

MvG: Nothing To Prove
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Michael van Gerwen insists he has nothing to prove when he faces Gary Anderson in the Premier League on Thursday night.

The world No 1 will go head-to-head with Anderson, the reigning world champion and Premier League title holder, on night 11 in Belfast, live on Sky Sports 1.

Van Gerwen emerged with a convincing 7-3 win when the pair played earlier in the campaign and believes his recent titles wins have justified his status as the top player in the sport.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"Why do I need to make a statement? I think after the World Championship I'm playing better darts at the moment," said Van Gerwen.

"I won the Masters, the UK Open, I'm higher than him in the rankings and I just need to do my own thing.

"It's fantastic that he won those trophies because they are the most important ones, but at this moment it's not about the past, it's about the future."

Anderson is hoping to put his play-off push back on track after a 7-3 defeat to Phil Taylor and has suggested that Van Gerwen still has plenty of work to do if he wants to surpass the achievements of 'The Power'.

"Last week, against Phil didn't go to plan but I always enjoy playing Michael," said Anderson. "He's pushing everyone else at the moment and he's been brilliant this year, there's no doubt about that.

"He's a fantastic player and what he's doing on the dartboard at the moment is tremendous - but people have got to remember that Phil Taylor's been doing this for 25 years or so. Michael's been doing this for two or three years so he's got a long way to go yet."

Taylor has opened a three-point lead at the top of the table, but is wary of a backlash from Raymond van Barneveld.

The Dutchman dished out a defeat to his old rival on night one, but has struggled since then and badly needs two wins from his matches against Taylor and Robert Thornton.

"I know Barney's going to play well because he's a wounded tiger," said Taylor.

"He's a cracking player and he puts his heart on his sleeve and tries his hardest; he puts everything into it."

Looking back on his opening-night defeat, Taylor added: "I think Ray's done me a favour, it gave me the kick I needed.

"At the time, I was playing really well, I thought I was going to thrash him but I didn't and he beat me. I wasn't playing well enough and I had to get back on the practice board - if it wasn't for him I could have been miles in front [in the table]!"
great read. thanks Hamo!
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
I think you always have something to prove and Anderson most definitely has a small psycho-emotional advantage. Looking forward to the match.
Darts: Unicorn Wez Newton Purist DNA 22g
Board: Unicorn Eclipse Pro
Highest out: 120 (T20, 20, D20)
180s: 3 (but Flight School will sort that)
3 Dart average: 49.87 (up already George Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images...)
great read, should be good game

Member previously known as Daveheald

I don't think MvG liked that question lol

Its always great viewing when these two have a big match, not just style wise but theres always that feeling that for Anderson getting 1 over on MvG is extra sweet than against others.

I think playing MvG used to get him a bit wound him since he felt that he gave MvG the World Championship that year and he was out for revenge and his overall game came back, but now it feels likes he's got the 2 WC in the bag and he's now enjoying the challenge
I bet MVG would gladly exchange almost all his titles from the last couple years for a 2nd World title, RVB deeply wounded him and his self belief on the biggest stage of all.
Long set play matches make it much harder to overpower a quality opponent, RVB, Taylor and Anderson have a different pedigree when it count's while MVG still has it to prove
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(04-14-2016, 11:58 AM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: I bet MVG would gladly exchange almost all his titles from the last couple years for a 2nd World title, RVB deeply wounded him and his self belief on the biggest stage of all.
Long set play matches make it much harder to overpower a quality opponent, RVB, Taylor and Anderson have a different pedigree when it count's while MVG still has it to prove

No they don't, MVG is just as good as any of those players and right now currently he is the best player in the World.
I agree, he is a multiple champion so clearly has what it takes. What people sometimes forget is that he is only 26. When I was 26 levelheadedness was not a strong point.... he has already won almost everything at 26. He has a solid future ahead of him.
3 Dart average: 49.87 (up already George Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images...)
I agree 100% he is the best player, the point I am trying to make is that for instance in a best of 31 leg match he would on form rarely lose.
In sets of 5 legs it is not just about Rythm but a series of mini matches
and Michael has not quite nailed that format YET.
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(04-15-2016, 07:49 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: I agree 100% he is the best player, the point I am trying to make is that for instance in a best of 31 leg match he would on form rarely lose.
In sets of 5 legs it is not just about Rythm but a series of mini matches
and Michael has not quite nailed that format YET.

I think that is a fair comment, ties in with the level headedness comment too in that respect.