Darts Buddy

Should I go heavier?
I have been playing darts for a long time, never too seriously so got stuck at a 45 3-darts average. I use 22 gr darts (Target and Unicorn).

Having recently signed up for Flight School and listening to George's advice that heavier darts are more forgiving makes me wonder. Should I go up in weight? Say to 24 or 25 grams.

Would love to get some opinion from the Nutz on this, especially if people have gone up and are positive or negative about the switch.
Darts: Unicorn Wez Newton Purist DNA 22g
Board: Unicorn Eclipse Pro
Highest out: 120 (T20, 20, D20)
180s: 3 (but Flight School will sort that)
3 Dart average: 49.87 (up already George Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images...)
For me as a newb on the forum but playing darts for quite some years I started with darts weighted around 21-22g. It just throws easier when you are very young. When I started to throw more seriously 2 years ago I went up to around 24-25g and eventually found myself throwing best with 24g with inbetween or short shafts.
Now that I am really focusing on finding my "holy grail" barrell I am also trying 23g and some 22g darts again. I would suggest try a low priced dart for example from Designa darts with a higher weight and see whether you can get used to it or not. I find myself throwing more relaxed with 24g darts than with slightly lighter darts. But for me the barrel shape combined with the weight matters the most. The 22g darts I use must have very good grip or a scallop so I can really 'push' them to the board without having to use to much force.
Just try some different weights and shapes and I think you will find out which suits you best Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Currently using:  Unicorn Gripper 23G
Best Dart Leg 2018:  14 Darts
180s goal 2018:  41 / 100

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
24-25g straight barrels are most used darts.  Visit a shop and try some of them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
may all the doubles be with you

Interesting reads, keep them coming Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
3 Dart average: 49.87 (up already George Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images...)
As Ruben said, find some cheap heavier darts or try out a friend's set. You can't know if it will work for you if you haven'y tried it.
Issue is that my mates all use either really heavy or light darts... so guess I will just have to trade a few of the sets I do not use. Have about 4 or 5 I do not need so should be able to secure some heavier darts without too much stress.
Heavier darts may be more forgiving, yes. In theory they're easier to throw due to increased momentum for the same force in one's throw, but if you're more comfortable with your lighter darts upon trying the heavier darts, stick with the 22s. I'm of the belief there is no "perfect" dart weight, it's subjective. I throw 12g barrels right now and my power scoring has gone up from the 14g ones I threw before. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
for me lighter darts take more focus so i get better scoring. but light for me is 22g-23g
Ask a friend if they have a heavier set, visit a shop to try some or get a cheap set to try, everyone uses different weights so it's all preference
Like everyone said, try out some different weights if you can and see what works for you...I used to use 22-24 but recently started using 20g straight barrels and haven't looked back since
Along comes Cyanide to throw a monkey wrench into everything.

What about all the soft tip dart players around the world that use 20 grams or less? They also have to stand 8 feet away from the face of the board. They just get on with things. Some really great players out there too.

The entire "heavier darts or more forgiving" is just an individual opinion but seems to be passed around like fact by many people. There have been many world champions that use 18 grams or less. And last time I checked, which has been too long so I need to re-check, the top 32 players in the PDC use an average weight of right around 21.5 grams.

Weight is entirely up to an individual imo and nobody can really tell you what's a "better" weight. It's insanely difficult to fine tune your own throw to the equipment you use. Flights & stems are a bigger factor in ironing out your throw. Again, that's just an opinion of mine.
Fair point Cyanide. Although I must say I do not really mind what people at PDC (or other top levels) level use, more what and if it makes sense for me personally. Flights and stems I have down, so it is just an interesting question I want answered really.

Trade a set of Azzuri CX-4 for 25 gram Lewis Phase 2s. Should know soon enough Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
First dart i owned was 18g use it for years..dont remember how long..then move up to 25g..for 1 and 1/2 years..now im at 22g and really comfortable with it..hope doesnt change weight again.. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
Ok, so I got the Lewis P2s in today I traded against my 22 gram CX4s.

After a little tweaking I found the right setup for me. I like the balance and grooves/grip, the weight however felt alien and after several games have come to realise 25 is too heavy, for me no benefit. Question answered Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Watch the trade/for sale section soon.
Told ya Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternating between heavier and lighter darts sydneycarton 4 213 01-14-2021, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Pidge
  Heavier darts fishtail now? Jeff Rassier 2 362 07-08-2019, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Jeff Rassier
  Heavier vs. lighter dart Karldawg 8 1,718 06-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Karldawg
  Heavier or Lighter Darts? Grey Owl 33 12,633 05-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Banned