Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Sorry if posted before...
I didn't want to hijack the elbow issues post, so sorry if I'm outside of line. 

But usually the day after I throw I have a pain in my arm. Extend your arm with your palm faceing up. It's the spot opposite of your elbow where your arm creases/bends. If I "pretend" to throw an imaginary dart I can feel the pain. Any advice?
I cannot speak to specific pain as I am not a doctor. But, I do have experience with pain. Two things I can think of. First, examine your throw. When I started, I had a very violent backswing. I didn't know any better and it was causing me much pain. Darts aren't very heavy. Even a very relaxed throw can get the dart to the board with good zip. I started consciously trying to throw in a more relaxed manner, and it really helped. Secondly, I had a seriously jacked elbow. 40+ years of skateboarding and multiple fractures left me with an arm that neither retracted or extended fully. Plus, it put my wrist a good bit out of align. So I went and talked to an orthopedic surgeon. X-rays showed tons of scar tissue, floating bone fragments, and huge calcium deposits. He was a good surgeon that specialized in arthroscopic surgery, but I gave him permission to do whatever necessary to fix my arm. Turns out it was too much work for just arthroscopy, so he split that thing wide open. He even had to detach and reattach a tendon to get all the junk out. It was the best decision I could have made. True, my arm is still not perfect. But, I play pain free and the extra bit of extension it gave me really helped my follow through. It took six months for all the pain to disappear. It has been 9 months and my arm is almost back to full strength. I still have a bit of neuropathy (tingling) in my forearm but it continues to lessen. I did it all for darts and it was worth every bit of it.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-11-2016, 10:50 PM)Lance4trax Wrote: I didn't want to hijack the elbow issues post, so sorry if I'm outside of line. 

But usually the day after I throw I have a pain in my arm. Extend your arm with your palm faceing up. It's the spot opposite of your elbow where your arm creases/bends. If I "pretend" to throw an imaginary dart I can feel the pain. Any advice?

I should think so too! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Hi Lance,

With most forms of exercise (as you know) if one is not properly warmed up or 'stretched' etc niggling pain can result, similarly if you've overdone the amount of time spent on that activity but it usually goes away.

Its a good question though and as a person who's had a series of chronic pain my advice is to initially stop playing, apply some embrocation or hot/cold pads until the pain is totally gone.

Now consider whether your style of throw is causing the pain or is it a repetitive strain type injury from some sport or earlier work related incident.

Do you throw very hard or snatch your darts so as to cause a 'snap' type throw? (Jockey Wilson Throw Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. )

Do you practice for excessive amounts of time or simply very little both can have an adverse affect on one's joints.

Good luck

Regards

Dorian
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

A clear, well-lit video of your throw might help.

I'm not a doctor nor a physiotherapist, so I wont know, but with someone who has been tolerating a shoulder tendinitis and trigger finger, all in my throwing arm/hand, one thing I can for sure say is that after several visits to the physio, knowing how to stretch properly is the difference between hell during and after, and relative normality.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
My inner elbow hurt to all heck when I started throwing again. Especially the day after. It has since stopped getting sore after everyday play.
You may have over done it. Give the arm a few days to recover and apply heat / anti-inflamitary gel to the area and try again in 3/4 days.

If it flairs up again following this it could be something in your throw that needs looked at..unfortunately the repetitive action can take its toal on the joints...I often wonder how MvG's elbow will be in another ten years