Target Darts.

Inconsistent throw
Hi guys need to work on something. I seem to have an issue nowadays. My throw is really inconsistent. Last night during practice games my leg averages was between 100.71 right down to 50.91. I will hit a 180 and follow up with 41 which to me is not good enough. I think it might be a metal thing and complacency after hitting the high scores. and then I struggle for a whole leg to hit a single treble after that. Might be time to get the head on straight right??? I am pretty consistent on my doubles at the moment, but I do something different. my darts usually lay quite flat in the board but as soon as I throw for the doubles the tend to go tail down. I am trying not to throw harder just to change the trajectory on them?
Try not overthink it, just relax and play.
I have a similar issue at this moment in time and it can get very frustrating when you know you can throw a decent leg with a 90+ average. However I believe a lot of the game is mental and paying attention to my average usually does more damage than good.. sure if I have a 15 dart leg with a good average I feel happy and confident, but when I know my throw is inconsistent my average only allows me to beat myself up and tell myself I am throwing poorly.
Some people like to keep a record of their average each time they practice and I don't discredit this but it just doesn't help when they are inconsistent.. try not to think about scores or averages and focus on grouping darts and finishing well.
The more positive you are mentally the better the darts seem to go in my experience.
Out of interest - What is your typical practice routine?
Inconsistency is just a part of darts. It happens to all of us. And the better you get, the larger the inconsistencies will be. Look at MvG for example. His best on stage avg has been 123.4 and could've been even higher. He's won a PDC event with a mid to upper 80 something average. That's a 40+ point per ROUND difference. That's huge!!!!

So just take the good days with the bad. There's no way on earth anyone of us will throw good all the time. Just doesn't happen. But keep at it. Make those highs even higher and pretty soon your lows won't be looking so bad. Instead of a low being a 50 average maybe it moves up to a 55 avg.
(04-20-2016, 12:44 AM)Cyanide Wrote: Inconsistency is just a part of darts. It happens to all of us. And the better you get, the larger the inconsistencies will be. Look at MvG for example. His best on stage avg has been 123.4 and could've been even higher. He's won a PDC event with a mid to upper 80 something average. That's a 40+ point per ROUND difference. That's huge!!!!

So just take the good days with the bad. There's no way on earth anyone of us will throw good all the time. Just doesn't happen. But keep at it. Make those highs even higher and pretty soon your lows won't be looking so bad. Instead of a low being a 50 average maybe it moves up to a 55 avg.

Cy's right, we all have our ups and downs.  As you improve both of these extremes will be higher but you'll never make them equal.

My aim is to throw well.  There'll be days when I throw well and score well.  There'll be days when I throw well but don't score well as I see dart after dart on the wire of the trebles and doubles.  There will also be days when I throw pretty inconsistently but score OK thanks to a few well timed trebles.  And then, of course, there'll be the days when it's all bad.  But looking back at my average scores in Pro Darter I'm not discouraged that I have fluctuations between days because I can see the trend is, overall, upwards.  Before Xmas I'd have lows of 45 PPT and highs of 55 PPT.  Now my averages are in the range of 55 - 65 PPT.  A few months ago I'd crumble if I noticed my average was above 60 PPT but it has become pretty commonplace now.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
All part of the game as everyone said.

Just be happy about the good and don't overthink the bad and don't let it get into your head. You don't want to go fixing parts of your throw that don't need fixing.
Keep at it and you'll be fine!
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-20-2016, 12:44 AM)Cyanide Wrote: Inconsistency is just a part of darts. It happens to all of us. And the better you get, the larger the inconsistencies will be. Look at MvG for example. His best on stage avg has been 123.4 and could've been even higher. He's won a PDC event with a mid to upper 80 something average. That's a 40+ point per ROUND difference. That's huge!!!!

Dont let kevmode read that mvg won with such a bad average ^^
Darts: Taylor 8zero Black Ti 24g, Chizzy Gold 24g, Barney Phase 5 23g, Paul Nicholson 24g, and so on...
Highout: 125 (T20-T15-D10)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I've been playing a bit over three years, so still a total noob in the context of the folks around here. One thing that has been a huge practice help to me -- a major AHA! breakthrough, even -- has been working on consistency of the arm movement without paying any attention at all to where the darts go. I was watching a pro (US) football game one Sunday, and this field goal kicker was warming up by kicking ball after ball into a small net on the sidelines, and I thought, "hmmmmmm." So I started doing more or less the same thing -- just paying attention to the arm, not looking at the board at all, making sure everything stays in alignment dart after dart after dart, not allowing hits and misses to be a part of the exercise.

Something odd started to happen. I'd walk down to pull my darts, and lo and behold, a ton. Couple rounds later, ton-40. In the course of a half-hour session of this, maybe even a ton-80 or two. It turns out that while I'm not looking at the board, I still know where the target is. Like Zatoichi. Pretty cool.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(04-20-2016, 03:49 PM)brenthahn Wrote: I've been playing a bit over three years, so still a total noob in the context of the folks around here.  One thing that has been a huge practice help to me -- a major AHA! breakthrough, even -- has been working on consistency of the arm movement without paying any attention at all to where the darts go.  I was watching a pro (US) football game one Sunday, and this field goal kicker was warming up by kicking ball after ball into a small net on the sidelines, and I thought, "hmmmmmm."  So I started doing more or less the same thing -- just paying attention to the arm, not looking at the board at all, making sure everything stays in alignment dart after dart after dart, not allowing hits and misses to be a part of the exercise.

Something odd started to happen.  I'd walk down to pull my darts, and lo and behold, a ton.  Couple rounds later, ton-40.  In the course of a half-hour session of this, maybe even a ton-80 or two.  It turns out that while I'm not looking at the board, I still know where the target is.  Like Zatoichi.  Pretty cool.

This is very good advice. If anyone has seen the 'play better darts' dvd they will recognise this routine. In the DVD the guy recommends that the first 5-10 mins of practice should just be getting your arm warmed up and getting used to using a mechanical throw. Just ignoring aiming and loosening up.

It works surprisingly well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wildly inconsistent Timmy Utah 8 1,134 02-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Getagrip