Double Top Darts.

McCoys saber grip first impressions
After taking up darts following a 2 decade pause I decided to upgrade my cheap Unicorn soft tips for
something slimmer with a better grip.

My new Harrows Supergrips and the McCoy Sabers arrived a couple of days ago.

After a bit of testing I decided I preferred the saber grips which seemed more aggressive.

Took my new darts to the pub for some action....

Right off the bat I was disappointed in the shafts and flights that came with the McCoys.
2 of the 3 shafts broke after less then 3 hours play.
One snapped off at the barrel leaving the thread inside it which meant I had to play on with 2 darts as I couldn't dig it out.
Real pain in the ass.
The other shaft broke at flight end.
Before this happened the shafts also kept coming loose in the barrels requiring me to check and tighten every other turn.
I will replace the shafts with harrows supergrip ones. Hopefully the issue is not with the barrels.

The barrels themselves grip very well but I can already see literally dozens of small microchips in the shark fins on each of the darts.
This leaves me wondering how long they will last given I only played for 3 hours?
Overall I must say I am quite disappointed given my 4 quid Unicorn Core set stood up to 3 months of action without any shaft or barrel
issues.

Will give Harrows Supergrips a go next.

Any comments are most welcome Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
You can't judge a dart by the shafts and flights they came with. They are crap and cheap because nearly everyone pitches them as soon as they take them out the box. Lol.

Broke shafts inside the dart is normally very easy to remove with anything sharp. Especially since they don't stay right anyway. My "good" darts come loose all the time. I refuse to use rings because it's just one more hassle. Twist to the right as you remove your darts. Problem solved.

I broke my MVG shaft on the first throw. Not an indication of the quality of dart.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Get out there and throw.
what Char said. try target pro grip shafts or Laro shafts
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
I've 4 sets if the McCoy Sabergrips - regular, gold, and black in 18 grams and a set in 22 grams and can't speak more highly of them - at the dimensions in those weights with Cosmo size 2 stems & Fit Shape flights they fly like a dream for me.
I spend a small fortune regularly buying different darts, from more rare older sets, to custom ones, and Japanese ones etc. and I always end up going back to my dirt cheap McCoys.
They do get a bit dinged up, but to me, those war wounds just give them more character Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

2017 180's: 2/150.
Thanks for the feedback Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I upgraded tips, stems and flights with Harrows gear : H tips, supergrip shafts and retina 100 fights.
I hope I didn't make a mistake in choosing these components?

As for the barrels, I don't mind at all if they get beat up so long as the grip stays good.
like any grip, the grip will fade over time, but the shark grip on those barrels will probably last awhile Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
I have a set of silver 22g steel tips and absolutely love them i use the cosmo shafts and fit flights every now and then i do have to tighten them up which can be annoying but i just love them too much not to use lol
180 Goal - 5/10  
Twitter: James_Judd
Instagram: DartFiend1992  

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Once I put on the Harrows Supergrip shafts and Retina 100 flights I'm sure the McCoys will be much better and look the part too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Impressions/Opinions/Recommendations - Harrows Barrel, soft tips AngryIceCream 31 9,031 06-18-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: AngryIceCream