Darts Buddy

Practice and background distractions.
Hi all.

A quick question on how you like to practice do you like absolute silence or do you like a bit of noise.

Me I like the noise I normally have on music but occasionally have on a series that I watch.

Having things in the background could be helpful over silence as it may help you tune it when playing in a noisy environment like a pub.

This is just me and I could be way off the mark but heyho, I just thought would see how other people like to practice/play.

Kind regards

Kyle
                  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.        

Background noise doesn't bother me in the least. Which is a good thing because normally my wife is in the next room talking to me, the television is on and the dogs are running around playing. Really don't have much of a choice in the matter. Maybe that is why the noise at the bar is not an issue so I suppose I just write it off to good training.

In the military, we had a saying. "Train like you fight." I guess that is what I am doing!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I prefer very little on in the background.  I usually have a little music on, even with that I like something that doesn't have words like EDM or Jazz.

Things I despise -

Never have darts on in the background - takes away my focus on practice plus it's kind of a downer hearing the pros hit 180 after one 180 while your hitting 45's and 26's Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My wife knows better than to be in the same in room - I wouldn't mind but she's always asking questions and that diverts focus - the plus side to this is she can usually get her work out done in the other room
I like a bit of noise I find I play better when I'm not fully concentrating and just throwing at my target. Over concentrating works backwards for me
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Quiet or there is noise doesnt matter...focus,relax then throw...then beer.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
I like to practice in the conditions I'd be playing in if throwing in league, blind draw, or just against some folks in pick-up games at the local watering holes.    That generally means music or TV on in the background.   I'll pop some CD's in the carousel and hit random play or to break up the routine, I'll sometimes toss some old LP's on the turntable and have to tend to them every 20-30 minutes or so as they end their play.

I don't generally crank up the volume like I'd experience in other venues, but there is always a bit of background noise when I practice.  Every once in a while I'll toss some darts with nothing going on in the background and it just seems unrealistic to me since playing in venues finds the noise level no less than conversational and sometimes all the way up to near ear splitting.
(04-05-2016, 12:51 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: I prefer very little on in the background.  I usually have a little music on, even with that I like something that doesn't have words like EDM or Jazz.

Things I despise -

Never have darts on in the background - takes away my focus on practice plus it's kind of a downer hearing the pros hit 180 after one 180 while your hitting 45's and 26's Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My wife knows better than to be in the same in room - I wouldn't mind but she's always asking questions and that diverts focus - the plus side to this is she can usually get her work out done in the other room

Man, I know what you mean about the wife and that being a distraction.    Mine is a chatter, and I believe she would talk to the paint on the wall if there was nobody around to chat with.   

Every once in a while she would come out with me when I played league and it didn't matter how many people were there, how many TV's were on different sports, what was playing on the juke box, etc.---------I could hear EVERY word she spoke behind me and it would be a total distraction. 

She'll occasionally come down to the man cave to have a few games with me when she's feeling a bit competitive and my darts generally go to pot with all the talking and other antics she's famous for.     She'll go into her "Ed Norton" routine from the old TV show "The Honeymooners" and over exaggerate the throwing motion and get to dancing around when she hits anything over 40.  It's funny as hell, but very distracting, and the serious practice just goes out the window and it becomes time to play along and have a few laughs.
(04-05-2016, 01:56 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 12:51 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: I prefer very little on in the background.  I usually have a little music on, even with that I like something that doesn't have words like EDM or Jazz.

Things I despise -

Man, I know what you mean about the wife and that being a distraction.    Mine is a chatter, and I believe she would talk to the paint on the wall if there was nobody around to chat with.   

Every once in a while she would come out with me when I played league and it didn't matter how many people were there, how many TV's were on different sports, what was playing on the juke box, etc.---------I could hear EVERY word she spoke behind me and it would be a total distraction. 

She'll occasionally come down to the man cave to have a few games with me when she's feeling a bit competitive and my darts generally go to pot with all the talking and other antics she's famous for.     She'll go into her "Ed Norton" routine from the old TV show "The Honeymooners" and over exaggerate the throwing motion and get to dancing around when she hits anything over 40.  It's funny as hell, but very distracting, and the serious practice just goes out the window and it becomes time to play along and have a few laughs.

That sounds all too familiar here lol
Don't really mind noise, I do like to practice alone though. Hate it if I lose my rythm practicing drills or doubles. Somehow this doesn't bother me at all in a 501/cricket game no matter how slow the other player throws.
I am a huge headcase. I need some background noise, or I can hear EVERYTHING going on behind me. It's not something I can simply tune out. One particular night several years ago during league, someone was standing about 2 feet away from me while I was throwing, talking about me and what I would or would not do to his partner. I had a meltdown. Had there simply been some music on or something, it probably would have gone off as white noise. 

So as a joke the following week, my team mates made the following:

(04-05-2016, 05:47 PM)Scotty Burnett Wrote: I am a huge headcase. I need some background noise, or I can hear EVERYTHING going on behind me. It's not something I can simply tune out. One particular night several years ago during league, someone was standing about 2 feet away from me while I was throwing, talking about me and what I would or would not do to his partner. I had a meltdown. Had there simply been some music on or something, it probably would have gone off as white noise. 

So as a joke the following week, my team mates made the following:

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/E8MipZf.jpg]

Must have been cricket Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I've gotten to the fact to where if its silence it messes me up I need the noise!
180 Goal - 5/10  
Twitter: James_Judd
Instagram: DartFiend1992  

I prefer to practice with some music on when in the house as it prevents me from hearing the wife, kids or tv from the other room as that would be a lot more distracting
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

I used to practice with friends a lot more but most have lost interest. Whilst friends were over there was always music on and I feel this kept me from being distracted more than anything.

Now I mostly practice alone and have lots of background noise in the form of a 9 month old baby.. she is surprisingly loud and even from downstairs can cause me to snatch darts if she times a scream or sharp yell right haha, I may start closing doors and putting a little music on.

When my partner decides to have a practice game I tend to throw awfully also and she always gets to a double despite throwing whilst talking and being distracted, I think I focus on her throw more than my own  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I am going to start using a structured practice routine with music on in the background to test if it helps me relax. I have just been throwing at anything I feel like at the time, doing legs against computers and going for a few finishes for hours until I am fatigued.. it's not showing good results.
I love to play with music on. It's a problem because if I want to play a wda match online I can do so since it's not fair to other player and blasts through their speakers. Maybe could play with a headphone one ear. Yet then the wires would kill me lol.